Williams Camp

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
billp
Greenhorn

Williams Camp

Post by billp »

I'm new to this forum, but been hiking the Supes for 30+ years. I just walked by Williams Camp last weekend, but I've never been up there. Anybody have any good historical info on it?

Thx, bill p
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

My understanding is that it was a dig of Bill ("William") Barkley's. So it should actually be labeled "William's Camp" instead of "Williams Camp".
billp
Greenhorn

Post by billp »

Thanks, Wiz. I just located a good photo of it in Jack Carlson's book, p.61.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

There's not really much there at the camp itself. A couple of old dilapidated boards and rusty cans. Up the slope a ways is the dig, which is more interesting. As I recall, it goes straight down and there's a wooden cover about 10 feet down.
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

billp: Dear Sir; May I suggest you read Barry Storm's book, "Thunder Gods Gold". He talks about this site but mentions no names. Also, The Mesa Tribune, November 7, l940, Page 1, col. 6-7, and page 8, col. 1-2. It's my understanding that this site was originally dug by Adam Stewart in the l920's and that Linesba dug the shaft at a later date. Tom Kollenborn can most likely shed more light on this subject with regars to the origin of the name, "Williams". Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Who's On First?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Greg,

Never doubted that you would know who would have the scoop on this question. Tom Kollenborn should have the best "inside line" on the Barkleys of anyone alive today.

I have never seen an earlier telling of this story, in print, than "Thunder God's Gold". Can you tell us if there is any evidence (documentation) that it is a true story?
Interesting that the gold is in "rose quartz", and that there was a ring of trees planted around the outcropping. Seems like someone just mentioned that very thing a short time ago.

Hope you had a great day.

Respectfully,

Joe