Spyware

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Spyware

Post by Thomas Glover »

Another cloudy morning… There has been a discussion on a list serve (the MACEP list serve) to which I subscribe about Spyware on computers. It seems that it is a wide spread problem and since all of us on this discussion board use computers, and since one can assume that most or all of us are sensitive to privacy I thought the following two posts might be of interest. To keep the posts from getting too long I am dividing them into a first post: What is Spyware?, and a second consisting of excerpts from the MACEP list serve about Spyware. (MACEP stands for Metropolitan Area Computer Education Professionals. It is composed of some very sharp people who manage networks, oversee desktops, etc.)

What is Spyware?

Copied from Webopodie (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/s/spyware.html):

Any software that covertly gathers user information through the user's Internet connection without his or her knowledge, usually for advertising purposes. Spyware applications are typically bundled as a hidden component of freeware or shareware programs that can be downloaded from the Internet; however, it should be noted that the majority of shareware and freeware applications do not come with spyware. Once installed, the spyware monitors user activity on the Internet and transmits that information in the background to someone else. Spyware can also gather information about e-mail addresses and even passwords and credit card numbers.

Spyware is similar to a Trojan horse in that users unwittingly install the product when they install something else. A common way to become a victim of spyware is to download certain peer-to-peer file swapping products that are available today.

Aside from the questions of ethics and privacy, spyware steals from the user by using the computer's memory resources and also by eating bandwidth as it sends information back to the spyware's home base via the user's Internet connection. Because spyware is using memory and system resources, the applications running in the background can lead to system crashes or general system instability.

Because spyware exists as independent executable programs, they have the ability to monitor keystrokes, scan files on the hard drive, snoop other applications, such as chat programs or word processors, install other spyware programs, read cookies, change the default home page on the Web browser, consistently relaying this information back to the spyware author who will either use it for advertising/marketing purposes or sell the information to another party.

Licensing agreements that accompany software downloads sometimes warn the user that a spyware program will be installed along with the requested software, but the licensing agreements may not always be read completely because the notice of a spyware installation is often couched in obtuse, hard-to-read legal disclaimers.
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Spyware Part II

Post by Thomas Glover »

First, a general comment from me – please take computer security seriously, you need an antivirus component and a firewall at a minimum. The firewall I use is called ZoneAlarm. I choose it as it can be downloaded for free and was recommended by someone of the MACEP list: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp .

<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>

From the MACEP list:

Well as with anything it may come down to $$ vs your time.

Some of the major Internet Filter providers are now placing Anti Ad and Spyware filters into their enterprise solutions. WebSense offers this feature, just saw a presentation on it last week at the Angelbeat conference, see below. But of course this will cost additional $$. I would expect major AntiVirus companoes to do the same in the near future.

My record so far for an AdAware scan is over 1200 hits on a singe XP PC............brought this 2.6gz P4 down to it's knees, couldn't do anything on it as all the processor was being eaten at start up.

http://www.angelbeat.com/buildpage.cgi? ... esentation

Select the Websense Spyware, P2P <http://www.angelbeat.com/WebsenseAngelbeatFall.ppt>

Many of the other vendors on the list also had software and hardware anti Sd/Spy solutions as well. Looks to be the next big profit app.

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>

First of all, don't use IE for anything, ever. I just yanked a computer
today that was infested with spyware - I'm starting to hate that garbage
as much as viruses, and that machine was using IE (the U-Won! toolbar
was my first clue that something was amiss). To my mind, IE is just
jumping up and down, saying "Infect me, take over my bandwidth and CPU
time!" Don't forget that CERT, Forbes, and the Wall Street Journal have
all come out in favor of dumping IE.

At this point, I deploy Firefox, and use the Set Program Access and
Defaults to hide Outlook Express and IE. Software Updates are deployed
via Systems Management Server. If a website relies on some tricky
IE-only ActiveX control, they can stuff it: there are other websites out
there that know how to be standards compliant. ActiveX is a horrible
mess, and unfortunately it looks like SP2 hasn't solved enough of the
problems with it to make IE anything less than a primary spyware vector.

Then, of course, setting up a student account (or OU) with very limited
privileges is also necessary, as the kids can and will still download
things to the desktop and double-click them, and a/v software is a must.

For home users, I heartily recommend both the free
and paid version of AdAware - if you pay for it, you get a realtime
protector and automatic updater on par with the normal antivirus
software. The free version means you have to direct the software to
update and scan manually.

<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>

Note from me -- Re: Firefox by Mozilla. It is available for free on the web at: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox
The new Firefox Preview Release empowers you to browse faster, more safely, and more efficiently than with any other browser. Join more than 3 million others and make the switch today—Firefox imports your Favorites, settings and other information, so you have nothing to lose.
“Beware of spyware. If you can, use the Firefox browser.” - USA Today
“Better than Internet Explorer by leaps and bounds.” - FORBES

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>

Back to MACEP:

Does it seem pathologically stupid to anyone else that you need to buy a bunch of
extra software to make an already expensive operating system work right?

Also, if you're using XP, apply Service Pack 2. It's not a cure-all, but
it is better than pre-SP2. Windows is still Windows. Woof.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Dr. Glover,
You speak on the subject with the zeal of one who has just had a lot of trouble with spyware/adware. What happened?
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

Sorry. No zeal here. Nothing has happened. Just passing on useful info. for those that have ears to hear.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Stuff

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Dr. Glover,

I am a complete idiot on this stuff, so you pretty much lost me there.

I was recently advised to go to this site and download Addware & Spybolt.
It is free, but I have no idea if it is worthwhile.

cnet.com

Respectfully,

Joe
azdave35
Part Timer

adaware

Post by azdave35 »

for sure get adaware and run it every few days....it works great
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

The other one is SpyBOT, as in robot. Both seem to do a very good job, and both are free.
Grayhair
Greenhorn

Spyware

Post by Grayhair »

Gentlemen,

You should have several items downloaded on your computer including Antiviral software:
1 Ad-Adware SE Personal it’s free go to http://www.lavasoft.de/ and look for in the top left hand column under software.
2 You should have SpywareBlaster it’s free go to http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2859.html SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from ever being installed.
3 You should have a Firewall http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp protects against hackers, viruses, worms, identity theft, security breaches via instant messaging "holes," and it’s free.
4 You might want to install Privacy Keeper http://www.browsertools.net/IEPK/ The program automatically cleans up all traces of your Internet activity. It is also free.

For those of you who have Windows XP I believe your computer comes bundled with some sort of firewall and before downloading something else off the Internet such as ZoneAlarm you should first find out if there would be any sort of conflict between the two. My advice there would be to consult with your local guru. I am a Windows ME person and know nothing about Windows XP other than it has a firewall and is mediocre at best. The firewall will protect you against hackers gaining access to content of your hard drive while on the Internet. If you keep any personal information, such as bank account numbers, credit card numbers, etc., you really should have a good firewall. Once the firewall has been installed, you will need to approve or disapprove which programs you want to access the Internet. Whether you realize it or not your computer has a two-way communication with every program installed on your computer while on the Internet. ZoneAlarm will allow you to control this feature.

Ad-Aware SE will remove any spy ware that has been installed on your hard drive. Once installed it should be updated on a regular bases and it will remind you of that fact about very 10 to 15 days. I highly recommend this product. Once downloaded and you have set the defaults to conduct a deep scan each time you scan your hard drive, you will be surprised at the number of data miners there are on your hard drive.

After the Ad-Aware has been successfully installed, your hard drive swept, and any spy ware removed you should install Spy Ware Blaster. This program prevents spy ware form being installed on your hard drive. It to needs to be regularly updated.

Lastly, Privacy keeper will remove any traces as to where you have been while on the Internet, it will automatically clean out all temp Internet files along with cookie files.

All of the above programs are available to the homeowner at no charge and they all need to be updated and run on a regular bases. One of the cheapest forms of good PC maintenance is to defrag your hard drive regularly. All of the above takes time and if done frequently the time involved becomes shorter and is certainly better then some of the alternatives that we occasionally are face with. Voice of experience – I have been faced with nearly every computer problem possible and it becomes very costly time and money wise.
Loke
Greenhorn

Post by Loke »

Have any of you given _any_ thought to maybe using Linux??
It is (almost) chemically free from viruses/spyware because such 'maliciousware' is usually based upon Microsofts scripting language and official api's ...
If all you want/need is web access, emailing and microsoft office, then Linux ought to be more than an alternative. I admit it relies to some extent on a command-line interface (like the 'good ole DOS'-days), but if you can live without only point-n-click - I strongly suggest you try it out! :-)

There are several linux-on-a-CD out there which will let you try it out, running completely off the CD (the paydirt is that it is a lot slower!!).
Personally, I think 'Knoppix' is one of the best - but there are many others :-).

Beware, though, you have to download some 650MB and then burn a CD. If you only have a dial-up line, that will take forever (and then some).
I guess I could be an intermediate and send y'all one - if you leave me a message with name/address I will do the needfull as long as there are not too many of you .... in which case I have to bow out.

Regards,
Loke