US Military Activity in the Superstitions in the Mid-1970's

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
reddieddi

US Military Activity in the Superstitions in the Mid-1970's

Post by reddieddi »

I am new to this forum but have read, with much interest, all the posted materials as well as many of the books and other texts thus referenced. It is difficut to reach a reasonable decision as to whether the LDM mine really existed or was just a catch of highgraded ore "stolen" from another local mine where JW might have worked.

However, that is not the question I have for you. In late January I met with two older gentlemen in the streets of downtown Phoenix. They were stopping anyone who would talk with them and asking for meal-money.

I was traveling on business and had nothing to do that evening and treated them to a mean in a small local restaurant. During the course of our meal then converstaion shifted to the LDM. Seems both men had lived in Phoenix their whole lives and had even made a few trips into the mountains looking for various "lost mines". Both agreed they had found nothing. They did mention though that in the mid-1970's there was a large US military presence in the superstitions area with a large number of covered trucks coming and going ona daily basis for a matter of weeks. The rumor was that the LDM had been found and was being trucked out.

Anyone ever heard of this or perhaps have any more details?
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Hello, Eddi, welcome to our little madhouse.

The only modern day military presence I have ever heard of was anecdotal. There was a story of an elite military group, maybe it was Special Forces of some kind, going for maneuvers in the Superstitions. I guess they got lost and took much longer than expected to come out, and nobody ever spoke of it again. I can't remember where I read this, but it was in one of the commonly-available publications.
But I've never heard of an operation like you describe. There are references to secret military bases beneath the Superstitions now and then, usually with some UFO connection, but that generally comes from sources to which I assign no credibility.

Anyone else?

PS: Thanks for starting a new thread. It's been getting awfully rancid here recently.
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

If such a thing happened, I am sure that there are some members of this forum that would have been aware of it. Perhaps Ron Feldman or someone like Tom Kollenborn might shed some light on the issue.

I had heard of the same thing that Wiz reported: some "military exercises" that went sour.
bill711
Expert

reddieddie

Post by bill711 »

TO ALL; These military ops. sound like some we have around here sometime in the summer. My sister had a friend who was telling her and another woman about some soldiers ahiding out in the woods in the cow pasture. She was telling them about the helicopers at nite and suddenly strange and colored lights spotting around here and there. BEING weman they got so nosey they decided to go out and investigate and see what was going on. so they got in the truck and went out to where the activity was going on. They got out there and it was early in the day. There was a group of young soldier about 18 to 25. They had comafluage every where and limbs and brush over their tent,s and all. The soldiers had pits dug and machine guns set up in firing positions. The soldiers come up to them when they drove up in the truck and got out. The woman told the boys that they got curious and decided to come out and ask them what was going on? The soldiers explained that they were on manuevers and they were hid out from the copters and it was their job to ambush them if they could. The helicopers came at nite to find them with their high tech. and attack them. If the copters found them then they, the sodiers lost the battle. Their job was to hid as well as they could; so the copters couldn,t find them. The weman asked the young soldiers if they could do anything to help them and the boys said they sure could if they really wanted to the girls said yes they would help them, The young soldiers ask the weman if they would cook them up a whole lot of corn bread and brown beans they sure would appreiate it. That the field rations sure got tiresome. The weman said they would and they went back to the house and made a few phone calls to other friends and told them about the boys and what the were going to do. Well the friends brought food and cakes and pies and my sister and the other weman spent the evening cooking brown beans and corn bread. The all met over at the woman,s house that evening and took the food out to the soldiers and it was getting dark by this time and they had their truck lites on and the soldiers came running out and told them to cut the lites off they would get them hung by their commanding officer if they got caught taking food from them that they were not suppose to do it ALSO the helicopers might come over at any time. So the boys were there about a week and the weman feed them cornbread, cold tea and beans. The boys were real nice and cleaned up and filled in all holes and things and left. I think of this happening when I hear people talk about lites in the nite and other world things, and the conspiracies agoing on. This happened in about 1980....I think maybe this is what the training was that was going on in the sup,s. It,s dangerous sometimes the boys die from the stress and get injured accidentally. I know in the summer during july and august the hospitals at fort smith, ark. used to prepare for the heat related stress when the army was on manuvers at the fort. One year the local boys had to take part in maneuvers at the fort. It sure was hot that year about a 100, with the humidity about 90 percent. I worked with an old boy he was younger than me, He was in his 30,s. Anyway he was on his job with the army for 2 week,s and we got word he burn out and had to be taken to the hospital. He came back to work and I asked him if he got too hot manning the gun out in the heat and he told me no that he worked for the cook in the portable mess tent and got too hot. I thought well that,s bungo lips for you he would have to make a scene out there, If there was a way to get out of work bungo would find it. He was a lazy mexi. UNTIL it was time to go home then he was the first out the door. Bill 8O :wink:
Peter3
Part Timer

Post by Peter3 »

I read a story, I believe of a small US Marine unit (a squad I think) hiking into the mountains, with the idea of using part of the wilderness as a field exercise area. Took them 8 hours , in, 12 hours out, and they dropped the idea of training in the Supes. Might be in Sikorskys book if anyone has time to dig.

As to the Military using trucks (or any other land vehicle for that matter) to load up the LDM stash, I'd be interested to see that up close and personal. Know the exact spot to have a ringside seat for that spectacle....
Actually, be mighty fun just to watch somebody get a truck into within say 4-5 miles of the mine... :lol:
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

This story sounds suspiciously similar to ones told about the Victorio Peak Treasure. Perhaps with a reference we could track it down.
bill711
Expert

military man.

Post by bill711 »

Tom; I seen the victorio peak debockle on a&e. If there was anything in the mountain there the army dang sure carried it off. There was a whole bunch of battery pack,s that were abanded. The man who said he was a soldier at the time ; who said they carried treasure out of the peak said he left his name and number in the tunnal did so because they found it along time after the man was dead. I beleive that some high gov. officials stole that treasure and they will do it again if they can and get away with it. Bill
bill711
Expert

military man.

Post by bill711 »

WHAT huh you want to hear more about bungo lip,s Pecter!! WELL ok if you insist; WELL which one? OK bungo eats the apple.. One nite chuck our little plant nite superviser was standing at the desk it was lunch time and time to go back to work. Bungo comes by and chuck stops him and asks him if we took up a collection and bought him some teeth would he wear them? Bungo says no and went back to work. Bill was sitting at the desk with Chuck and he told Bill that Bungo needed teeth that he couldn,t eat very good without them. Bill said shit Chuck Bungo can eat anything! HELL Bill reaches in to his lunch sack and gets an apple. He showed the apple to Chuck and said Bungo could eat it. Chuck says no way he would bet 2.00 that he couldn,t NoWay without teeth. Bill calls the bet. He turns and calls Bungo over and offers him the apple; Bungo being who he is, looks the apple over real good, He know,s there,s something up BUT he doesn,t know what; anyway he wipes the apple on his belley to get all the poison off that Bill might have on it. Bungo takes a big bite out of the apple and goes to munching, nothing is wrong with it and he really goes after it then; He goes after the apple like a barracuda and then pops the core in his mouth and trims the core down to nothin and then spit the core and the little seeds over in to the trash barrel and thank,s Bill , tells him if he needs him to eat any more to let him no. Bungo goes back to work he sees Chuck looking at him funny. Chuck gives Bill his 2.00 and said he never would have beleived anyone could eat like that, and he still wasn,t sure if he beleived it. Bill tells Chuck that Bungo has been without teeth so long his gum,s were tough as you could get them. Chuck says WELL there is always that ONE and laugh,s. Bill :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Peter3
Part Timer

Post by Peter3 »

Uhhhhhhhh...........

Oh, nevermind. What does one say to a post like that?
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Fictional Novel

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

I believe the story you are discussing is from a fictional novel. I don't believe Sikorsky ever wrote such a story. Memory is not so good, so I could, of course, be wrong. :)

Respectfully,

Joe
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

Joe,

I saw the same thing somewhere. It was reported as if it happened. However, the author could have been mistaken because of using second hand information. But it was definitely in a book.

I can't remember if it was the Army or the Marines. So, that I am not sure of. But, it was the same tale. The Superstitions were used as a training ground and the operation went sour for some reason. So, the Superstitons weren't used again.

The source... I saw it in one of the more popular Dutchman books. It might not have been Sikorsky's book. It might have been something else. But, it was a Dutchman book - and not an esoteric one either.

I suppose since this is an issue, I'll see if I can find the reference.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Issue?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

S.C.,

Nice to know you are still talking to me. I never know who I have offended these days. :lol:

I don't really think it's an "issue", just idle chatter while we are all waiting for the Republican Convention to get over so we can return to thinking about what is really important to us. :)

I need to be more focused here, as I don't want to get another "lock" brought out of the "lock box". :lol:

Respectfully,

Joe
RU Kidding
Greenhorn

Post by RU Kidding »

S.C. - I think the Marines story was in the "Killer Mountains" or in Estee Conaster's book?
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Das Story

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

RU,

That sounds like something that Conaster would have put in her book. Being at our store, I can't swear to it, but I would bet she did not write that story.

Maybe "Killer Mountains".

I think we are getting closer to ending this particular mystery. :)

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
bill711
Expert

military manuvers

Post by bill711 »

Whomever; I do remember reading the story in a book now that you boys mention it; I have early days skoirsky and conaster but I do not have curt gentry. It,s been years since I read scoirsky so I think it might be conasters book. Bill 8)
bill711
Expert

military man.

Post by bill711 »

Jow; can you tell me why I got 3 different e-mails testing me from the forum?? I am going to unbend an give you boys alittle sage advice here and now. Time and space goes on whether we say or do anything or not. The world still turns and we are losing ground if we do not say or do something. So a good cuss fight is better than dead air and space. You feel better after clearing the air with one another. Bill :wink:
Peter3
Part Timer

Post by Peter3 »

I leafed thru the Sikorsky and Conatser book...didnt find any mention of Marines or Army. I KNOW that I saw it somewhere, tho. Will keep digging.

Peter
bill711
Expert

military man.

Post by bill711 »

Pete; could it be K. Kizzer? Bill
Peter3
Part Timer

Post by Peter3 »

Bill,

No, not Kizzy. I have never read any of her stuff. If I want to read any bizarre stuff about the Superstitions I simply come to this forum and read
Wyatts postings. If I am having trouble sleeping (or need a good laugh), I re-read the 8 billion postings on the Stone Maps thread. Depending on the poster, it will normally put me to sleep or leave me chuckling.

P
Wyatt Westwood
Part Timer

Post by Wyatt Westwood »

Well, Thank ya now there Peter3, I really Appreciate you using my stories for Nappy time. If it's any consolation to ya they put me to sleep as well.
If ya fall a sleep laughing at the posts I always say humor has always been a good placebo for hate.

I bet old Joe will welcome me to his Moderated Forum so he can have Nappy Time To! My Bizarre Postings do keep people on their toes not knowing what to believe. If my posts make anyone think just for a bit then they have done there job. Iv 'e seen many a Bizarre Postings from the whole lot of you guys on here as well. Trouble is, you guys all think you above everyone else so you criticize all who come along.

Ha, Ha,

Shame, Shame,

Nappy Time Now!

Wyatt
Peter3
Part Timer

Post by Peter3 »

Mr Wyatt,

Actually, if you had the ability to understand what you read, you would have realized that I was refering to your posts as "bizarre", while talking about the Stone Maps thread was an entirely different issue. My apologies for your misunderstanding me, though you appitude for misinterpretation (and all things bizarre) does seem to be a "Wyatt" trait.

P
bill711
Expert

stone maps

Post by bill711 »

Pete; Right on... The 2 kizzer books that I bought for a hefty price from pro-mac was suppose to be about the ldm and the sup,s. I got flogged on that one. bill
Scott
Part Timer

Post by Scott »

Welcome Reddi Eddi.
I remember the Dons club having a caravan of covered trailers they called wagons.They would set up at the end of peralta trail various time of the year.The univeristys came in that decade and surveyed several areas off of the peralta trail.They stayed a 9 weeks and used military type shelters and trucks.I think they were from fort hauchuca sic?
They analized and dug many holes in old camp ground areas.They did not tolerate visitors well,I was told.They did leave a dump behind.
An oil company came in and did sisemic testing all along the peralta trail area.They used civilian type travel trailers and several off road tractors to haul the thumper and microphones about.
There was military bombing practice in the flats off of the peralta trails.
The runs looked to be from ww2 time.Judged by the style and dates off of the bombs.I have never seen the "military" about the area.Well except for now.Desert training and mountain navagation training is on going on now in the region between the sups and globe.