Bicknell Missing

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Knun
Part Timer

Bicknell Missing

Post by Knun »

Here's an interesting article about P.C. Bicknell.

Arizona Republican, Oct. 6, 1894

WHERE IS "BICK?"

His friends begin to be alarmed at his absence.

The friends of P.C. Bicknell are becoming solicitous of his safety. Nearly two weeks ago he left for the Pinal mountains accompanied by a Mexican to examine what is believed to be a rich placer region. He was expected to return within a week, but nothing has since been heard from him.
The Mexican who was with him was working a placer claim in the same region several years ago, but was driven out by Indians. He was afterward unable to find the exact locality of the claim. He told Mr. Bicknell about it, and it happened that Bicknell had met a man in Mexico who said that he, too, had done some work there, but could not return to the place.
Nearly six weeks ago he and the Mexican began a search for the placers, and succeded in finding the locality. They also found three Americans at work there. In the same neighborhood they found a ledge nearly 100 feet wide, but they did not believe the ore was of sufficient value. Each took a sample at random and returned to the city. Both samples proved to be very rich and they set out the second time to make locations.

I didn't find any article describing his eventual return which he of course did. He died years later.

I wonder who the Mexicans were, especially the man in Mexico who could not return. Also makes you wonder if they really headed to the Pinal mountains.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Where to Start.

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Knun,

That's a nice piece of work.

If I lived in the Phoenix area, I think I would check the records looking for any claims by Mr. Bicknell filed during the period in question. That would be even more interesting than the article.

Respectfully,

Joe
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Tom Kollenborn wrote a good article pertaining to Bicknell in the Apache Junction News; August 11, 2003. Page A-4, Col 3-6. Pierpoint Constable Bicknell was born in Syracuse New York around l863. He arrived in the Arizona Territory about l870. He passed away on March 31, l904 in Prescott, Arizona. Bick was 68 at the time. His estate was probated in Syracuse New York around 1906. (Peter, that would be a good project for you. To look up and obtain a copy of his estate probate and will). "Eugene P. Bicknell of New York was granted papers of inheritance". (Arizona Republican, May 20, l906, Page 5, Col. 2). Bick also had a couin living in Arizona by the name of Pierpont Minor, former proprietor of the Arctic Ice Works in Phoenix. For obituaries see; Arizona Republican, April 1,l904, Page 4, Col. 3. "P.C. Bicknell Dead". and Phoenix Enterprise, March 31, l904, Page 4, Col. 4. "Arizona's First Journalist Dead". What happened to Bicks papers is for now, any ones guess.
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

Mr Gregory

If Bicknell was born in '63 and died in '04 that would make him 41....not 68 years of age when he passed on.

I must take a pass on the Bicknell research.....sorry. Am mighty busy these days. I do not even look in on the forum as much as I have in the past. I have a hectic month or two ahead of me.

P
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Peter; Thank you for catching the incorrect birth date of Bicknell. I see my dyslexia is showing. The correct date of birth for Bicknell shoud be l836. Not l863. Maybe you can tackle the project in the future as time allows. Take Care Greg