turtles

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
bill711
Expert

turtles

Post by bill711 »

WIZ; A tortise is a turtle! If you go an look at the mountain you will see 2 peaks front peak and on the other end another peak. If you will check closely you will see th leg,s coming off it. I won,t be surppised if it didn,t have claws too. NOW another thing!!!!!!!! 1 vera is about 33 inches= 1 yard is 36 inches=european yard is 39 inches. NOW 1 step is about 18 inches. 1 PACE is 2steps 1left leg step and 1 right leg step=2 steps or 36 inches. This was the average step and pace of the Roman soldier who was about 5 ft. and 1 inch in heigth. SO be very careful if your map is saying steps or paces. Bill :evil:
Wiz
Expert

Re: turtles

Post by Wiz »

bill711 wrote:WIZ; A tortise is a turtle!
Bill, I know that. My point was that "tordis" is not Spanish for turtle; neither is "tortoise". "Turtle" in Spanish is "tortuga". ("Tortoise" in Spanish is also "tortuga").
As for the mountain that looks like a turtle, I believe you. I'll check it out next time I'm there.
I didn't know there was a "european yard". Are you talking about the meter, which is about 39 inches? I also never heard before that a pace was two steps; I always thought the two were synonymous. Now I understand why my maps always lead me to some spot about halfway to the actual treasure.
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

"Turtle" in Western Apache is "ch'oshteel" (sounds like cha-osh-teeshk).

When I was around 10 years old I found a turtle lying on a trail in a forest far from water. Being a do-gooder at the time I picked him up and was carrying him to a pond when the little bastid ( can I say that on the web site?) bit me in the stomach. I remember dropping him and running after that. Thats what I get for fooling with mother nature.

Thought that would brighten up your day.....lol
bill711
Expert

turtles

Post by bill711 »

Peter; You must have gotten a snapper. A Tortise won,t hardly bite or it,s rare that they do. A little bitty boy had one holding it up to his face and stuck his tongue out at it and the tortise bit down and they had a heck of a time prying his mouth open, They dialed 911 over it. MY experiences with the turtle was when I was a 3 or 4. My older brothers and sisters was always saying that when a turtle snaps down on you he won,t turn loose until it thunders. I had a older brother who tormented me all the time. I complained but it did no good. NOBODY WOULD HEAR MY PLEA! Finnally I took the form of a turtle and snapped down on him when he started in on me. I remember thinking that I could not turn loose until it thundered. My mother and older sisters and older brothers begged me and everything to turn loosed but I clamped down harder. Finnally they cut my air off and I almost passed out before I let up. My mother asked why and I told her what he was doing, he was 3 years older than me, She had me go and cut 2 switches and I had to take my whipping. BUT my brother heard me for quite awhile, and left me alone. Bill
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

uhhh......ok
bill711
Expert

steps or paces

Post by bill711 »

Wiz; Yes a meter, I couldn,t think of the name for anything earlier. OH and a vera is just about a stride or 33 inches. BUT if you are measuring for treasure, Dig liberally. They didn,t always measure too acurate back then. ALSO a tortis will not usually bite anything usless it is brite colored and looks like food. They eat flowers and vegies. especially bright colored ones. Bill
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Numbers

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter1,

Will there be a Peter naki or Peter hi? Seems like that is what you should be now, instead of Peter1. I thought Peter was Peter1. :wink:

Snakes were out in the mountains a week ago. Everyone should take care. Had one crawl right into the middle of camp, while we were all sitting there. Fairly small, nine buttons.

Respectfully,

Joe
bill711
Expert

tortus

Post by bill711 »

Joe; What is the biggist and longest rattle snake you have seen or heard of??? A man ran over over a diamond back about 15 years ago that measured out at almost 14 ft and 18 inches wide at the taxidermist. Biggest dang thing you ever saw. I keep wondering if this is just a one timer or if anyone else has heard of any this size?? When I grew up around here we didn,t have any they like deer and beaver had been killed out. Now there are back with a vengence. Bill
bill711
Expert

snakes

Post by bill711 »

Hey Joe; Did the snake yell Hey look I,m Back?? Bill
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Tail Talk

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bill,

Yes, it did. It yelled the entire time it was coming into camp. Only stopped talking when it reached the shade of our supplies, which were covered by a tarp. We did not welcome that stranger into our camp. I fear we were not gracious hosts. :wink:

Another guest (invited) did stop by and had coffee, bisquits and Italian sausage gravy. I believe he was impressed by the fare and the camp he found. With seven of us in this camp, it took two trips to get all of our gear in. Takes a lot of stuff to keep old folks comfortable. :lol:

I have seen some fairly large Diamondbacks but never took the time or made the effort to measure them. I once laid down under the front of a truck, to place blocks and a jack to change a tire. I turned to ask for the jack handle and looked into the face of a coiled Sidewinder perhaps six inches to a foot away from my face. He had coiled up under the front of the tire I was going to change, for shade. I was, of course, cool in the face of that dangerous situation....NOT. 8O

Respectfully,

Joe
bill711
Expert

turtles

Post by bill711 »

When you are nose to nose stay very cool and move very slow backward. Bill
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Just So

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bill,

Yes, I had read that book also. I had also been given that advise from some very wise and ancient "sourdoughs". Can I assume you have actually been in that position? :lol:

Respectfully,

Joe
bill711
Expert

snakes

Post by bill711 »

JOE; Not with a rattler. I was sitting on the throne one nite and heard some scratching comming from under the bath tub, I was just sitting there with my pants down around my ankles and what comes out from behind the bath tub? A big old civie cat, as he saw me he jumped and turned his rear end toward me, His tail hoisted very high. I just froze I didn,t even blink, I don,t think I even breathed either. He went back behind the tub. I came up off that stool with my pants in my hand and got out of there . I got my pants up and belted, and told my mother what happened, She went in for a look and the cat passed her comming out of this bath room. My mother run to her kitchen for a pot of water and chased that civie cat around the house and back thru the hole that he had gnawed thru the flooring. He never did fart. We patched that hole. JOE, I was 2 foot from that cats rear end when he was arched at me... I was too scared to sweat. Bill
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

uhhhhhh....pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a "civie" cat?
bill711
Expert

snakes

Post by bill711 »

Petier; A civic cat "correct spelling" is the same thing as a skunk BUT instead of a stripe, the civic cat has spots. They smell just like a skunk when they shoot you. Hope this helps Bill
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

billier,

i shoulda known....
bill711
Expert

snakes

Post by bill711 »

JOE; Peter,s wife must have down loaded a little one since he changed his name. I think petie was raised in the city. I wonder has he ever used the old out house and used monkyward or spegial catalogue for toilet tissue> went swimming in the creek, went bird hunting, went duck hunting, run a trot line for cat fish??? Petie; a skunk and a civic cat are 6 shooters they can fire off 6 times before they have to reload. JOE; I had an old friend who lived alone used the rattlers in his house to keep the mice down. He never got bit. The rattler is just coming on strong around here now, WE just think the women sqeal now with the black snakes, wait until they find out they are rattlers. They will really carry on. Bill :lol: :lol: :wink:
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

>> I think petie was raised in the city. I wonder has he ever used the old out house and used monkyward or spegial catalogue for toilet tissue> went swimming in the creek, went bird hunting, went duck hunting, run a trot line for cat fish??? <<

Billie.

You are correct. I was raised in Queens, which is a borough of NYC. My "old outhouse" useage has been minimal, and happily I have never used "monkyward" (some sort of simian by-product?) nor "spegial" (I give up on this one)catalogues for toilet tissue. Yes I have gone swimming in creeks, lakes , rivers ,pools and oceans. Have hunted for birds, (amongst other things). Havent run a "trot line" for catfish..but I have caught some steel heads, shad, trout...do they count?

While my wilderness expertise most likely pales in comparison to most folks on this forum, I have been able to muddle on through with a minimum of problems....so far.

P
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Leap of Logic

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bill,

You are making a lot of judgements about Peter and what may be going on in his life. I have found that it is not a good idea to assume anything about any of the members of this forum. What you have said may, or may not be true. You may notice the typical "Western" understatement in Peter's answer to you. New York State is not all city.
There is a lot of Apache/Arizona history in Peter's mental files and he gives it up on a regular basis. I find the forum less interesting when he is baited away from those topics.

Are you able to make any trips into the mountains? What are you finding of interest? We found more monuments this year, but not the ones my brother and I found thirty years ago. :cry: We did find the place we camped, and I expect to follow our same path back to the monuments next year.

Respectfully,

Joe
bill711
Expert

Snakes

Post by bill711 »

NO,NO, NO, PETIE, JOE; YOU are both so far wrong you are in over your head. I am not disapairaging pete. Not one little BIT. I was just wondering like you why he added the 1. I like reading his bit when he writes and I was trying to see if he was born in the country or raised in N.Y. I was wondering if he was born and lived for awhile in the country and then moved to N.Y. He reads like he has lived in the country at some time or other. I was wondering where? I do not know your age petier , I was trying to tell if you were 30 or 50 years old. The 2 catalogues, were received every year from Montgomery Ward and Spiegial , and Sear,s, Many people in the country would buy mail order from them. They would call one of them monkeywards. When they got the next 1 the old one was sent to the out house for use and to read while meditating. There is nothing wrong if you have never used this method for your tolet. BUT you missed alot like the yellow jackets and the black widower spiders that would bit your wavos off. and the heat and cold. I personally do not care if you do not swim but I just wondered if you had ever ran acouple of miles to the swimming hole and went swimming in the heat of the summer. NOW Joe you do not have to defend petie on my acount I will not hurt him, BUT is he like ded ? is he a girl too? and fooling me? JOE I would have thought that you would know that the more we know about one another, the more we have to talk about. I do not mean any offence by what I have writen nor any offence by what I have just written. Joe; if the weather is as good as you say you should be out finding me some treasure. We have had a week of storms rain with lighting, golf ball size hail, and 1 toranado. for the past 2 weeks. The only thing bad in what I have wrote is what you have chosen to make it. UNLESS your past is some big deep dark secret. Then I am sorry. BUT I do not asume anything, If I wonder I ask, I do not assume anything about anyone on the forum or how much knowledge they may have about the sup,s. Boy or girl.... Bill :lol:
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

Billy Boy,

The "1" was added because when I cleaned out my computer cache and cookies I seemed to have wiped out the old user/pw on this forum and simply created another one that wouldnt confuse MOST folks. My apologies if this has befuddled anyone.

I have lived in the "country" for a short time and currently reside on Long Island. Who can say where I might end up sooner or later? You guessed correctly on my age as I am indeed between 30-50 years old. However, both my wife and in particular the folks I camp with will attest to the fact that I often act like I am somewhere between 4 and 10 years of age. I am (beleive it or not) usually the camp clown, and get my jollys by finding new and interesting ways to annoy the folks I hang around with. Happily for me they put up with my quirks and foibles....which includes going off on my lonesome, night marches, snoring loudly (they lie about this I am sure) and of course the judicious use of talcum powder.

Last I checked I was still a boy...though I do like girls....blondes in particular. (Are there any women in AZ who arent blonde?)

Hope this little biographical sketch helps some.

P
bill711
Expert

turtles

Post by bill711 »

The ONE; hummm,i see i see uhuh yes, well, ok, thank,s one. Bill
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

As Suspected

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

I had already assumed that is what happened. Not much else to discuss, so I was just doing what I am doing now.......Jawing to stay awake.

Bill,

This is not really a serious discussion, so I guess I should have added a :lol: or two. I like to defend Peter any chance I get, even if the slight is imagined, just to let him know I still love him. :)

The treasure will have to wait til next year. :(

Take care.

Respectfully,

Joe
dutch elm disease
Part Timer

Post by dutch elm disease »

bill
im not REALLY a woman.......i just like waving at folks!....liberal folks that is.
bill711
Expert

snakes

Post by bill711 »

DED; What do you wave at the lib,s? Bloomer,s or Tallawacker?? Bill