turtles

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
dutch elm disease
Part Timer

Post by dutch elm disease »

bill
i fear i might well regretthis question...but erwhat exactlyi is tallawacker? does a tallawacker fart occasionally? or as apossible alternative....does he /she or it eat nuts in vast quantities? bythe way"tordis" is also a french slang word...an exclamation of triumoph,success but little used today except in some rural communities..itsrather archaic in fact...none of which i suspect has any bearing on the"tordismountain" which was being discussedearlier...unless someone knows different/?
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

It is not terribly surprising to this observer that the French would have little use for a slang word denoting triumph or victory.... Particuarly since the term hasnt been used in 199 years (since 1805) without the aid of the dastardly Americains...

( Nice slow pitch, ded, did I hit the ball far enough?)
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Are we approaching the "For sale: French army rifles, never fired, only dropped once" stage?
dutch elm disease
Part Timer

tho no lover of "le francaise" myself peter..in fact most oftheir wine is similar to vinegar andi loathe it...briggite bardot was probabley theirone gift to mankindin recent years anyway 9(that no doubt showsmy age).however they did win the world cup inrecent years 1998? 1996?watever and no doubt ifthe word"tordis" was still in popularuse iimagine onemight have heardthe phrase a few times.but then a characteristicof thefrench strangely is that they rarely ifever gloat.though one might perhaps not have to look very far to find a subject they could perhaps gloat about ( in the fashion of "there i told ya so!)
as for "a nice slow pitch"....i believe thats a cricket term and alas i dont play cricket unfortunately...so whether you hit the "ball far enough "or not... i fear im not qualified to answer....but one thing for sure "peter" i suspect it might have gone way"over most peoples heads"?
perhaps this isnt a good time to bring up the famed french /canadians oftwo soldiers fame/?....i guess not somehow...who cares/?
dutch elm disease
Part Timer

methinks an anti french contingent lurks in various murky depths on hereperhaps? oh well itjustshows wat an innocent remark can do..ho hum
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

Actually I am about 1/4 Courier du bois (that's roughly translated as "bush-loper" and was a term used back in the days of the French and Indian War to denote French Canadians) myself. I like to think I had ancestors on both sides of that conflict..and while I can trace my ancestry to a soldier in the Massachusetts Regiment of the Continetal Army during the Revolution, alas, I just am not sure about the Canuck side.

As to the Two Soldiers being French Canadian..who can say? Lots of smart folks dont even believe they existed. Who knows, perhaps they are right....
bill711
Expert

turtles

Post by bill711 »

DED; I mispelled Talawacker, sometimes you breakwind when you use it. Bill
dutch elm disease
Part Timer

bill
ciest la vie!
im stillno nearer knowing wat a tallawhacker is...sometimes you breakwindwhen you useit?im afraidthats ofvery little use in deciphering the meaning.....is it something medicinal?....do you insert it?....do you sit on it/?...yes i meant SIT!.....is it animal vegetable or mineral?

do i really wanna know?
peter
alljokes aside to be able totrace your ancestors that far back i imagine must be a very interesting andrewarding thing to succeed in.to know that your forbears playedtheir part in big or smallmeasure in what were (atthattime) momentous events and perhaps even to tread in their footsteps must be an experience in itself.it follows on from that unfortunately that life is transient and nomatter wateach individual does its ultimately meaningless.what was important then meansvery little now exept to historians and peoplelike us who derive pleasurefrom it...but thats enough psuedo philosophy from me today.actually ive tracedmy descendants back to 1897....that looks rather basic i guess sigh
bill711
Expert

turtles

Post by bill711 »

PETE; You just told me, why any GROWN man would want to be called PETER. I know a bunch of peters but none of them want to be called peter. Peter is a childs name, it isn,t manly, for a grown man to say my name is Peter. Pete; it has to be the FRENCH blood because they are the only ones who will keep their childhood names after they get to be grown men. The french swoon and pass out and make love with their face, so they probley do not use their talawackers for anything. So you may have no worry about it. A talawacker is what you threaten the girls with, It,s what gives you the greatest relief when you use it in various ways. as the japanese girl said when her new husband mounted her for the first time, and she farted out loud. Embarrassed all she could think to say was listen, front hole so happy back hole whistle!! Pete my people go back to henry the Vlll and further to william the concurer and william long shank,s of normandy. One of them Whiteside was the corner or mayor of pinal when the hearing was held on the miner who was killed in a mine cave in. He had found the ldm. MY people were all ways on the frontier but they foght the french and indians, they were with george W., Andy Jackson. Always the younger generation move on to new frontiers. Bill
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

Willy,

Actually I am usually relieved when folks call me Peter (or Pete). Sometimes I have been called various names that dont need to be repeated on a G-rated forum such as this. This is sometimes done by my wife (100% Sicilian ya know...so shes an expert)...course I get her back by using colorful Apache adjectives..which really makes her nuts...
My camping partners can on occasion put together a nice string of flavorful
words, sometimes,,,but not usually (as long as I dont snore too loudly)...directed my way. So "Peter" is ok by me. I dont worry too much about my manhood..perhaps you are overly concerned with your own? (I cant help but notice your fascination with womens undergarments, gender and various bodily functions)

ded,

The reason the family knows about the Revolutionary War soldier (he was a Srgnt named John Sweet) is that several heirlooms have been passed down over the years, including an old powder horn, chevrons and the head of a tomahawk. Wish I had the items but they are at my uncles in Rhode Island.
bill711
Expert

turtles

Post by bill711 »

Pete; I would rather call you pete if you don,t mind, I have no fachination with bra,s-bloomers-or body parts. I see bra salesman everytime I switch over to the forum, I got to wondering who it was and why? DED said it was him, I wondered if he was a girl? So I asked him if he wore bloomers too? He said yup or yes. Then I asked DED if she/he was a girl...I still do not know yes or no...I was asked if a talawacker was a f.. I said you may breakwind when you use it. It,s use does give a great degree of relief in many ways. If you han,t figure out what it is it,s a peepee. Pete; I like to know who I,m taking to so I can get a better understanding of where they are coming from with their perspective. YOU have decided that I am just a rude dumb country bumpkin and you are coming off as some little boy that maybe your dad told you , you had a smart mouth when you were a kid and you mistook it to mean intelligence. I have yet to see anyone from New York or Ca. that didn,t think every state in between was peopled by dummies. Pete; I may have cleaned my rump with prickly pear but thats the thing that gives a person personallity. IN ok. if you haven,t earned a nick name by the time you 10 years old you have never did anything at all. Pete; I have been poker player, dice shooter, pool hustler. among many other things by the time I was 13 years old. I am not worried about my manhood as you call it. I still can tend to a girl, When I want to. Pete; We do do more than lay around sleeping with the hounds. Bill
dutch elm disease
Part Timer

among royalty?

bill
it wasnt WILLIAM "longshanks" twas EDWARD "longshanks" and he wasnt from normandy he was in fact born in westminster london...but thats a minor point..if he is one of your forefathers does this mean that you could have a valid claim to be king of england?gee!
i agree with peter somewhat that your fart fetish might indeed be in danger of becoming an overwhelming obsession.did that story aboutthe japanese girl really happen? or was it just a lot of hot air/?
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Looking Back

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

As I watch you gamely, if not painfully, working your way through these discussions, I can't help but wonder if you ever think about our previous exchanges, sometimes heated, dealing with subjects like: Goyathlay or Goyahkla, depending on who is doing the spelling, Apache lifestyles, Lt. Howard Cushing, the path of the Two Soldiers, the Stone Maps, the Jesuits, Ruth and his death, the Holmes family, Crazy Jake, Bark and Ely,
George Crook, Merejildo Grijalba, Oscar Hutton, Fort McDowell and the possible crossing south at the Salt River, Nana, Al Morrow, John Mott, the frequent side trips into the histories of Mesoamerica, New Mexico, California and Arizona.

You, as well as some of the other members who are reading this (very small) laundry list of subjects, may wonder why I am being so windy, and made this message public, instead of a private message just to you.
Of course, one reason is that it is just my nature. On the other hand, I hope that some of you will take the hint that there is a lot more to talk about than the current fare.

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but if some of you will take the time to read back over the past threads that have taken place on this forum, you will see a marked change in the content of our topics.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
bill711
Expert

turtles

Post by bill711 »

DED; NO, I was wrong, It was ragnar longshank,s. from normandy. NO the girl was a hot air joke someone told me at some time in the past. NOW I will say no more on the this. OH, I may have some claim but it amount,s to about a mouse sqeek in outer space. My mother is descended from the reverend patrick henry. That boy should go join in the converation on that other forum he would fit right in. NO More. Bill
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

Joe,

I havent seen anyone post something that I had anything to pontificate about in quite a spell, and like you, have simply been exercising my jaw (or fingers)...along with my own special brand of rhetorical skill. I'd be happy to wade in on something that interests me, but there seems to be a singular lack of satisfactory subjects lately.

P
dutch elm disease
Part Timer

i guess whatthis forum needs is a few originalviewpoints posted...something to argue the pros and cons about...most of what is posted is the same mixture of legend half truths that while not entirely pointless has nevertheless allbeen heard/said before.historical facts9(as opposed to legend) are there in the public domain for all to read...to discuss them further...unless they shed hitherto undiscovered light on the "dutchman" is probabley also pointless in the context of this forum...altho ivebeen guilty ofthat samecrime on occasion. ifthis forum has of late descended into a trough,surely when it peaks again it will be all themore enjoyable for saiddescent. it maybe why the likes of tom kollenborn etc... people who could educate us all dont contribute.simply cos its all been saidbefore. now i hope this post doesnt upset anyone ..its not meant to..itsmerely a comment on joes post..of course hes right but until someone posts something that stirs the imagination and interest of the members the banality will in all probability continue.
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

For Bill711: Dear Bill. You mentioned that your are related to a Whiteside from Pinal. I am going out on a limb and make the assumption that you are referring to "Bo Whitesides". Bo was a veteran legislator in Arizona and held a number of positions in county and state politics, his last being Legisative Attache before his death in August of l931. Bo was at the Silver King in 1881 through circa l886. He was considered a walking encyclopedia on Arizona history beginning with 1881 by his colleagues. Bo "kept a daily diary of events" (See Arizona Republican, August 22, l931, Page 1 col. 5-7.). Now, My question to you Bill is, do you know what happened to Bo's diary's, journals, and papers??? They are not located at any of the historical repositories here in Arizona that I have searched to date. Cordially, Greg Davis
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

New Blood

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

DED,

Those who have been here awhile, have just about exhausted their supply of new topics, or new angles on old topics. If something fresh is going to be offered up, it will probably come from the newer members, or some of the old ones who have not spent a great deal of effort in offering their own opinions.

One of the reasons I use my own name on this forum (the only one I do that on) is because I feel it keeps the conversations real. I don't fault others for using pseudonyms, but it does tend to make for some useless comments. I don't start private message conversations or E-mails with the members anymore, without knowing their name, address and phone number, as you know. I have found the conversations much more rewarding when you know (for sure) who you are talking to. Peter has used his own name, and while not advertising it, his last name is known to many. Anonymity has it's rewards on a site like this, but accepting your statements as an honest offering of what you believe is not one of them.
My own PMs and E-mails with some of the participants of these recent conversations is a world apart from what they are writing here. Hard to believe they are the same person. :)

I would love to see Tom Kollenborn give us some new information on old stories, but he may have nothing "new" left. Many of us have given all we have to this site, at least all we are willing to part with. :lol: When Azmula turned the conversation towards the Jesuits and his own unique research, it brought in a lot of new history and exciting possibilities. Since that is an area of interest for me, it was not hard to participate in his threads. Unfortunately I participated a bit more than he wanted, so he is gone, along with some very worthwhile and interesting conversation. I guess we will all just have to wait for his book, or perhaps Dr. Glover's new book. :?

I look forward to the upcoming "peaks".

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

A Rich Find Indeed

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mr. Davis,

Now that was an interesting post. Such a "find" would be worth more than all the (documented) treasure that has been removed from the Superstitions to date. For some of us, it would even be worth more than the "undocumented" treasures said to have been removed.

A great question. Bill?

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

Joe

I am with you on this one. I wouldnt mind reading the journal entries in say the 83-84 timeframe. Be fun to see certain folks on this forum eat "crow". Heck maybe it will be me eating a big dish of it...course I doubt that......

P
dutch elm disease
Part Timer

joe
"anonymity hasits own rewards but accepting your words ashonest view of your opinions isnt one of them" its so easy to misintrepet a posters wordson here....as you know....perhaps you might elaborate on said statement? onlythen can i reply if a reply is indeed warranted. anonymity is not (inmy opinion) amask to hide behind but rather an icon to be recognised by... the topics discussed on here dont (again in my opinion) necessitate full disclosure ofones name ...address...fone number..date of birth..blood group or watever....the individual is of no importance...the views are of no real importance either i guess in the scale of things. but if and i repeat if your post suggests ive been dishonest in my posts ...perhaps you might be alittle moreprecise
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Tight Reading

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

DED,

Your reading of what I was trying to say was a little to tight. My comments were not addressed to any one person, and that includes you.
It was a general statement which I believe holds true for many of the participants on this forum. Only you know if it applies to you. Some of the silly conversations would be very short if you actually knew the person you were talking to. When I say "you", that does not mean "DED" in particular. :)

Take care.

Respectfully,

Joe
bill711
Expert

Turtles

Post by bill711 »

DED; What Joe is trying to tell you is that you and the boy are putting off mixed signals that do not add up. If a person was tracking you along a trail he would hit a fork with some of you going one way and some of you going the other way. WE know that this is not possible. SO in talking to you we do not know what to beleive about or of you. Bill
bill711
Expert

turtles & reptoids

Post by bill711 »

Dear Dr. Greg; I am not sure. I was talking about the Whiteside who held the hearing on the miner that got crushed in a cavein at pinal. He signed the corners report. The miner was the one who found the ldm from the soldiers desciption and got killed before he got to go back to it. I think it was in 1882, when the 2 soldiers got killed. I can,t remember his name. I was doing family geneology at the time and compared his name with some I was looking at after I had read the story in Helen,s book an saw his name. I cannot remember his given name it,s been 6or7 years now. If you will give me his name I will try and look up his decendents an see if I can find out anything on his diary. I will also see if we could get a copy or the loan of it for the muzeam. While he is kin it,s a remote kin. I think he came thru here east Okla. with my great grand parent,s in 1876. The younger Whitesides moved on west going to TEXAS but some split off going to other territories. The Whitesides were natural born indian fighters and were very numerous they were proven breeders. They had kids by the litter. In the french an indian war one family got massacared 46 people in one fight. BUT it just made the rest of about 500 fighting men mad. The whiteside were so numerous and fought from the day they were born that they were highly valued. Dr. Greg I would take so long to find his given name that if you will give it to me I,ll try to find out what I can. Thank,s Bill
bill711
Expert

turtles & reptoids

Post by bill711 »

Dr. Greg; I was looking at arizona maps on e-bay last nite. They had a 1863 civil war map by Johnson on the auction starting price was 199.00. It was an original. Bill