Frank Fish

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
bill711
Expert

Frank Fish

Post by bill711 »

I have one book by this guy and the one by lake erie shcafer I bought in about 1962-3. I like this book and was interested in it until lake erie got off on the killing/suicide of the FISH. The ERIE digreessed into going out in the mountains with some others and holding a siance and humming at 12 o,clock at midnight. This was to find why someone would kill him or suicide. I lost interest with this move. I have lost this book. I was wondering if anything was ever discovered about his suicide or murder. Anybody got any answers? Heard anything?? Bill I liked the Fish.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Lake Erie Schaefer and Frank Fish

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bill,

If you like "The Fish", you should pay close attention to anything Schaefer had to say about him. She and Bill knew Frank Fish as well, and were as close to him, as anyone outside his own family.

Schaefer wrote "Dead Men Do Tell Tales", if that is the book you are reffering to, at a late age. You should take a great deal of what she wrote, as coming directly from the hand of Frank L. Fish, unless the passage is written in "the first person".

Erie was a close friend of my Uncle Chuck, as well as being a partner in their combined claims on Black Top Mesa. I have the book she signed for him, as well as a personal letter, on my desk. The signature seems to show her age, although that is pure conjecture.

You are looking in the right direction, if you are paying close attention to Frank Fish and Lake Erie Schaefer.

Good luck to anyone searching for a copy of her book. Like the LDM, It will not come easy.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
bill711
Expert

Lake Erie

Post by bill711 »

JOE; I was NOT poo pooing her book. I thought the book was very good. Better than the one I have now. BUT She digressed into her and some more old ladies going into or upon a mountain and having a seiance and holding hands and mewling at the stars I guess, This is where she lost me. MY mind will not let me beleive in that crap. I,m sorry if I hurt your feelers. NOW JOE everything I said about poouting did happen to me. I told the truth.. Bill
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Joe Ribaudo: You speak of your Uncle Chuck as being in partnership with Erie Schaefer regarding their combined mining claims on top of Black Top Mesa. Was you Uncle part of the syndicate put together by John Burbridge in circa l967 titled; "Legend of Adventure"; members consisting of: John and Rue Burbridge, William and Erie Schaefer, Walter and Rose Armantrout, Pedro Francisco Peralta, Myron and Dorothy Brun and Darrel and Pat Robertson? Joe, No specific reason for asking, just a thought that came to mind after reading your previous reply with reference to claims on Black Top Mesa. Cordially, Greg Davis
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

PS: For those interested in futher stories about Frank Fish, you will find an article about him, his museum in Corona Del Mar, California, and some of his treasure hunting adventures in a magazine Titled: Men in Adventure. It's Vol. 1, No. 2, July l959. Article is titled; Meet Mr. Buried Treasure! by Lieutenant Harry E. Rieseberg. P.30-33. Cordially, Greg Davis
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mr. Davis,

I know very little about Chuck's relationship with Erie Schaefer. I have a letter from Erie to Chuck dated August 17, 1968. In it she states she would like to "file two more claims on Black Top" and call them "Peralta #1 & #2". She also states that "John (I assume Burbridge) does not seem to be interested" and she would go ahead and get it done herself.

While I always thought there was an official partnership between Chuck and the Schaefers, on rereading this letter, I am not so sure. There was a close relationship between them, and I am fairly sure that Chuck introduced them to Dr. Phillips and that he then made a connection with John Burbridge in Reno.

I would guess that Chuck was not part of the "syndicate" that you refer to.

Sorry there is not more that I can tell you. Chuck's wife passed away a few years ago, and she would have been the one who had direct knowledge of what transpired. Perhaps Tracy Hawkins has some information that is relavent. I just saw him, but did not have any reason to ask him. If he does not chime-in in the next few days, I will give him a call.

I also visited your new museum and was disapointed that you were not there. I will make an appointment next time.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo