Need help on Lake Erie

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Knun
Part Timer

Need help on Lake Erie

Post by Knun »

I'm looking for some help and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Lake Erie Schaefer wrote a book called "Dead Men Do Tell Tales." Dr. Glover wrote of it in his book since it discusses the origin of Peralta-Fish map that Frank Fish owned (Now in the SMHS museum).

I started looking for a copy at the Historical Society and the ladies hadn't heard of it. You should of seen the look they gave me when I said it was written by Lake Erie! I've since looked online at the various (common) book stores and libraries but have found nothing.

I remember someone posting a link to a rare books web site but can't find that post either.

Whatever happened to all the great things in Frank Fishs' treasure hunting museum after he was killed. Seem to remember reading that not much was left when the relatives finally arrived.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Knun,

I found my copy at:

http://www.bookfinder.com/

Good luck!
- Wiz
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

I have seen the book before on ebay. But one has to keep checking to see if it appears again.

www.ebay.com

You might also try alibris and abebooks.

www.alibris.com

www.abebooks.com

Both of them specialize in old books.
Knun
Part Timer

Thanks

Post by Knun »

I looked on all the sites recommended....no luck. Guess I'll keep looking periodically.
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Knun: There are several books that might be of help to you. Frank L. Fish authored a book titled: Buried Treasure and Lost Mines. lst. Ed, was in June of 1961 with reprints going through June of l966. The book discussed numerous Lost mine stories. The second is the book you refer to in you forum letter. Dead Men Do Tell Tales by Lake Erie Schaefer, published in December l968. It also contains numerous lost mine stories plus some background information about Frank Fish. Both books have been out of print for sometime. Another book you might find of interest is titled. Who Murdered Frank Fish?? by Ben T. Traywick. Traywick lives in Tombstone and is a prolific writer. The book goes into the theories of how Frank died and who killed him. Much of Franks collection was looted from the museum after he died. Erie Schaefer obtained some of it and I beleive what was left went to the relatives. Most of Erie Schaefers material went to Johney Pounds after she died. When Johney Pounds passed away his widow gave much of his collection to the Superstition Mountain Historical Society. Schaefers file in that collection is about 1 and 1/2 to 2 inches thick. If you want to see it, Contact the Supersition Mountain Museum. Leave an address and phone number with Shirley and ask her to forward it to me. I will then contact you and we can make an appointment for you to view the material. As for obtaining a copy of the books I have mentioned. I would suggest you try Guidon Books in Scottsdale. Next try Bob Pugh at The Trail to Yesterday Book Niche in Tucson. 520-293-1260. My last suggestion is to search the four major web book finding sites and ebay. Hope this helps. Cordially, Greg Davis
Knun
Part Timer

Thanks for the reply

Post by Knun »

Greg,
First of all thanks for your reply. Time for self interests is fleeting at best and considering your knowledge and exsposure to the information from those who made time I must again say thanks for replying and inviting.

With that said I will be giving Shirley my address and phone number within the next few days. I look forward to reviewing the Fish file, and more importantly, getting a chance to meet you.
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Knum: If you want you can go ahead and email me the information and I whill get back to you. My email address is [email protected] Cordially, Greg Davis
bill711
Expert

lake erie

Post by bill711 »

The last time I bought the book Frank Fish dead men do tell tales by lake erie was in 1963. I think she died not long after this. Bill