Illegal Excavation ?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Illegal Excavation ?

Post by Thomas Glover »

A friend mentioned this weekend that they had seen a small news item in a newspaper in Superior something about four men being arrested for an illegal excavation in the western end of the Superstition Wilderness Area. He asked if I had heard anything about it. I hadn’t. He had no details. Fact or urban/mountain legend?
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Interesting.
Seems like something like that would be in the AJ or even Phoenix papers. Did your friend say what paper he saw it in, or where they were? Or anything at all?
Maybe they're lucky. One never knows what might happen to one when excavating illegally, right?
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

THE RUMOR MILL

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Dr. Glover,

You need to check back with your friend. I don't believe the Superior Sun
ran such an article.

I could, of course, be wrong, but it sounds like the begining of a new legend/story for the Superstitions. Let us know if your friend can tell us which newspaper he saw this in. Is he a resident of the area?

Anyone know what the water conditions are in the mountains?

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Bandit
Part Timer

Post by Bandit »

The article was in the Apache Jct. paper this last week. Forest Service people made the contact and seizure. Four people were found excavating and were held. no other information was provided. 3/2/04
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Apache Junction News?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bandit,

The Apache Junction News is a weekly edition. Is that where the article was printed? If so, can you tell me what date it was published, assuming you have the article itself? Thanks for the information.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

Joe,
I did some hiking south of Goldfield this past Sunday. The ground was damp and green, but the washes were not flowing. The mountain should get a little more rain today. I found conditions near ideal, although perhaps a tad humid at times.
Laz
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Thanks

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Lazarus,

Thank's for the information.

The end of March is historically the best time to go into the Superstitions, and it looks like this year will hold true to form.

Respectfully,

Joe
rochha
Part Timer

Article

Post by rochha »

Dr. Glover

I have phoned both papers in Apache Junction and both of them tell me they know nothing about such an article. I phoned the Superior Sunrise and no one has answered the phone each time that I have called. I got the phone number out of the internet so I assume the number is right.

I will try again later till I get an answer and will let you know what is up.

Rochha
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Same Same

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Rochha,

I have had the same results with Apache Jct. Since Bandit said it was in the Apache Junction newspaper, I assume he had first hand knowledge.
You can access the Superior Sun on the computer and look into their archives. Not much point, since we have been told the article was printed in an A.J. newspaper. I found nothing in the archives.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,

Joe
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

This is getting mighty interesting.

So, we have a friend of Tom Glovers report an article about illegal excavations that apparently doesnt exist (and Joe you are correct I also checked the various newspapers and my other sources...nothing came up as far as illegal excavations). Yet then Bandit claims that he also saw the article that no one else can seem to find. So, that is two sources that tell us the event transpired. (Course, some might find it curious that Bandit comes from OREGON and was able to locate the article when other folks closer to AJ can not).

I dont know what to make of it. Very odd.

Is there something you want to tell us all Thomas? Its ok, sometimes confession is good for the soul......

P
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

Everything I know about this item I put in the original posting. It was curiosity on my part that prompted that posting, in point of fact, I don’t really care. Although I can better understand why some have quite the forum.
Bandit
Part Timer

Post by Bandit »

Gentleman,
Talked to Lost Dutchman State Park (Tom) this morning.
The article was ran in the small paper called the Winter Visitor.
Forest Service personel handled the arrest, out of the Mesa office.
The site being worked was a treasure trove site Ron Eagle ????? has
worked on for sometime , I guess 16-20 years.
Tom said he was not sure , but the Forest Service didn't have enough evidence to proceed and possibly the charges were dropped.
The people involved had been working on a tailing pile at this site.
They could not tell how much disturbance was done to the ground from
prior work or the four that were held.
Thats all I could come up with.
Its raining steady here now , is to clear up. 11am
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

Well, despite combing thru the archived stories of the Arizona Winter Visitor, I still havent been able to come up with the Forest Service story. There are, however, some very fine articles on subjects ranging from Adam (of Adam and Eve fame) having alien genes, the History of Shuffleboard and of course everyones favorite: Mike the Headless Chicken.......

Maybe the website hasnt gotten around to updating the latest news.

hmmmmmm......

PS Why the weather update Bandit? Is that so we would think you were from AZ? Better change your location on your username. Thats a dead giveaway... :oops:
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Bandit wrote:The site being worked was a treasure trove site Ron Eagle ????? has
worked on for sometime , I guess 16-20 years.
Tom said he was not sure , but the Forest Service didn't have enough evidence to proceed and possibly the charges were dropped.
The people involved had been working on a tailing pile at this site.
Well, I'd have to conclude that ol' Ron hasn't done much in the way of working the site, if 16-20 years worth hasn't resulted in enough evidence to keep the FS from dropping the charges. I wonder what he's turned up in the way of treasure?
bill711
Expert

forest service

Post by bill711 »

WELL at least ole Ron wasn,t afraid to get his pick dirty... That,s more than some can say. I guess. Petier, Petier don,t you know you were reading what forest reserve and gov. employee,s do in their spare time???? Bill
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

>> Petier, Petier don,t you know you were reading what forest reserve and gov. employee,s do in their spare time???? <<

Hmmm. I thought FS workers and Govt Employees in general were always out doing good and making sure dummies like us could function in the modern world......
bill711
Expert

F.S.

Post by bill711 »

Peter; HAH!!!!!!!!! Bill
Scott
Part Timer

Post by Scott »

The heat is on
bill711
Expert

forest service

Post by bill711 »

Yeah, When yur out thure don,t look guilty when u poout, or they may take you down for interigation later. If they don,t just shoot you first. Bill
Wiz
Expert

Re: forest service

Post by Wiz »

bill711 wrote:... don,t look guilty when u poout...Bill
I'm sorry Bill, but don't look guilty when you what?
bill711
Expert

poo-ut

Post by bill711 »

Wiz; This is what girls do when they pass out with the vapers, the passing out is to cover up the big ole Fart they let. The F.S. might shoot you if you did it out loud. They may think they are under attack or something. Did I spell it wrong? I don,t know?? I never spelled it before??? If so how do you spell it?? Bill
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

Bill,

Can you clarify for me. The word "poout" in actuality means "passed out"?

P
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Doesn't matter, I get your meaning: the Green Suits will haul you away for farting. Well, that's probably next. We'll have to fart into a plastic bag, seal it, and pack it out with us. That would certainly put a crimp in any Dutch hunting you might want to do.
bill711
Expert

FS

Post by bill711 »

Yes, Yes Wiz; You will probily have to mark it gasahol or methene too. Petier; a poo-ut is just a fat fart. BUT among the gentler sexs girls they call it a poo-ut. The passing out was to create a stir to cover up the big fat fart. Weman are not suppose to fart until they get real old. When is the last time you remember a nice young girl farting?? HUH The boys at work asked me one time why girls you never heard girls fart. I told them I had never heard one fart or poout. I asked a young woman about it a couple of years back and she just laughted and sayed that,s easy, girls don,t have ass-holes until they get married...bill this is alll on this subject .......
Peter1
Part Timer

Post by Peter1 »

Serves me right for asking.....