Salt River Gold

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Knun
Part Timer

Salt River Gold

Post by Knun »

Here's another story from the Arizona Republican (Oct. 14, 1891)

"The Salt River bars probably carry as much gold as many of the celebrated streams of California, at least so Assayer Joe Porterie thinks. Working by hand in Salt river gravel he saved $17 dollars in sixteen days, and by proper appliances and a heavy plant much profit would accrue to the promoters of such an enterprise. Mr. Portorie states that Snake River, running through Idaho and Montana, from which so many millions have been taken, did not give a better average and furnished a gold dust that was thin and flaky, while this of Salt river is round and heavy."

Never heard of, or have seen, anyone working the River. Anybody have a dredge?
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

The Bark Notes have an account of Jim Bark and John Chunning working the Salt.
hound dog
Greenhorn

Post by hound dog »

got one let's go

hound dog
Aurum
Part Timer

Salt River Gold

Post by Aurum »

xx
Last edited by Aurum on Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
Part Timer

Post by Scott »

The largest gold nugget found in Arizona placers was in the Salt river.
Many sand,gravel,and cement operations had heavy metal recovery equip. in use .The big floods during the 80's filled in and wiped out the deep pits that searched for the pay streak.
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Aurum: Unfortunally I do not have copies of the arrastra pictures in Canyon Lake behind Mormon Flat Dam that Al Reser took when it was drained for maintance. When Al allowed me to copy his material, much of it was in disarray. The only photo I found of that area and copied was one taken of an empty Canyon Lake from a distance showing the entire area. I never found any arrastra pictures at Al's, but that does not mean he didn't had them. If they survived the period of time following Al's death, then the person who Al willed his colletion to should have the item in question. I am not at liberity to give out that persons name, however, Aurum you know who it is. Give him a call and see what arrangements can be made for you to examine the collection. Cordially, Greg Davis