ground penertrating radar

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
hound dog
Greenhorn

ground penertrating radar

Post by hound dog »

I am somewhat new to this fourm and have not found any topics with this topic.
My question is:
1. How much of the area has been gone over with GPR?
2. To what sucess has it been used?
3. How qualified were the people using it?

I ask because my father and a dew of his friends have used this in the past in field trials and research.

hound dog
Scott
Part Timer

Post by Scott »

I have done 10-15 hours of web browsing looking for info.Talked to a guy who went thru a vendors training class.It seems that there are units that will work and those that dont.The unit should be contact with the search area.The opening to a mine would be hard to echo locate. The
transmitter and receiver sections need to be on contact with the ground.
I dont know how it would react to fill composed of large rocks.I would go and test areas where you know whats below and get good at "reading" the data.I could put one thru a day or two of testing!
Scott
hound dog
Greenhorn

Post by hound dog »

Scott
I a working on an old friend of my fathers and I hope to get my hads on one soon.
I remember years ago out with my father and some of his friends and they burried several different items using a back hoe and then watching them go over the are with a GPR, just wish I would have paid more attention, but was more interested in the girls at the time. :lol: I do know that you can locate graves. You can get the size and depth of the grave, but no bones or anything like that.

thanks
hound dog
hound dog
Greenhorn

Post by hound dog »

I guess this is not an area of interest?

hound dog
Scott
Part Timer

Post by Scott »

The use of advanced electronics and expanded computing power of the new units almost make the fall models obsolete by spring.Be wary, I have seen and used a few units that were smoke and mirrors.There are still units sold thru the web that are bogus.Always use the unit before buying it.If you cant find the sewer or h2o suppy line on level ground ,how will it work over boulders and brush?
I have seen several dozen magnetometer charts taken from the instruments used on Orion sub hunter aircraft.I have not spoken to those who were onboard ,But second-hand info is hard to find,and most of Us use 3rd hand anyhow.With out GPS info all charts and graphs are just paper.I did see the ground survey and aerial readings coincide when the target was as small as a 2000lb Magnetic Mine.The other anomolies recorded away from the normal "runs" were intresting .I do not know what would cause indications on the charts.
I dont know what the rules are concerning carrying and using metal detectors on the lands covered under wilderness.state ,and blm.
Scott
Bandit
Part Timer

Post by Bandit »

The Laws conserning the Wilderness are a "Catch 22" They say one needs a permit to use a detector. Then they come around and say if you have a detector you are prospecting; which is not allowed.
Even then I have seen people using detectors but from a distance.
Maybe someone else knows more.
Scott
Part Timer

Post by Scott »

Are GPR's an imagining device ? Are GPS units position"detectors"
Are the use of dowsing rods.doodle bugs,and tossing the bones defined as verboten?
Would a "coin shooter " be stopped ?I hope not.
99.99 % of contacts will be debris brought into the wilderness.