Carry it out?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Scott
Part Timer

Carry it out?

Post by Scott »

Due to the wilderness act.mining has been restricted thru-out many areas of intrest.I have a ? to ask.If a man made hole was filled with dirt and debris of mining activity.Is it a garbage dump?Would the filled areas underground be classified as possible toxic waste.Ron or Nichol,kick me a e-mail.I am thinking that if reagents or mercury was used during recovery?During the filling of the hole,shaft or pit ,The use of waste material ,could allow the use of Gov.Superfund clean-up monies be used to explore and document the sites.Seems Arizona has excessive amounts of Federal coin for cleanups.Our tax dollars at work cleaning the water,air ,and ground ? Regards,Scott.
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Do you really believe that the "do-gooders" will

a) Fund your "clean-up" of a shaft

and then

b) allow you to keep whatever you find

??
hound dog
Greenhorn

Post by hound dog »

You dont't want to go down that road. My father checked into this possibility some years back and the can of worms that would be opened was unbeleiveable. All I can say is good luck!!!

hound dog
charlie
Part Timer

Duck and Cover

Post by charlie »

As an experience Resource Conservation and Recovery (RCRA) regulator, you do not want to go there!

Before any operation can start you must submit documentation that the site is contaminated and that cleanup and removal is critical for the natural resources to recover (Environmental Impact Statements). Since several federal agencies are involved, each agency would have to review the document and sign-off agreement for the action.

After acceptance of the Environmental Impact Report and the conclusions, cleanup plans would have to be drafted and approved in the same manner. A surity bond would be required, just like the special use or treasure trove permits.

Before the first shovel-full is thrown in the cleanup, several hundred thousand would be spent in planning and at least three years or more from start of paperwork to start of cleanup.

Using a device for detecting mercury while walking through the ranges may help you in finding where the arrastras were located. The arrastras were not necessarily where the mines were. The arrastra mine tailings which were mercury contaminated could also have been scattered around to minimize any indication of mining activities, further complicating the search.

Good luck.
Charlie
Scott
Part Timer

Post by Scott »

I fully understand the impossibility of my post, I was just enjoying the
thoughts.