Charles (Chuck) Crawford

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Loke
Greenhorn

Charles (Chuck) Crawford

Post by Loke »

Does anybody know anything about Charles (Chuck) Crawford??

I just ran across him earlier today - and he might well have been discussed in an earlier thread (that I have not come across yet).

Any takers??

Regards,
Loke
Loke
Greenhorn

Post by Loke »

Guess I should've given the url ... my apologies:

http://www.azwv.com/azwv/parchive_crawford.asp

There - now I'm waiting ....

Regards,
Loke
Loke
Greenhorn

Post by Loke »

I'm really surprised - 51 views and no comments!
This happened 20-25 years ago and some of you guys have been searching for 40-odd years - where's all your eloquency??

Am I to believe that it's all fake? - or - is it too near to home??

I came across the article trying to absorb whatever I could about the LDM/Jesuit treasure; I know nothing that cannot be found on the web, I haven't even read the books (with the exception of Helen Corbin's latest).

All I wanted was your opinion - or as much of it that you see fit to reveal - it seems that no-one has any opinions!!

Last night a tried a search of the name - coupled with Arizona - and there was but _one_ reference which was Tom Kollenborn's reference to a campsite that had been used by George Crawford.

There - that's all I've been able to come up with!

Regards,
Loke
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Loke,
I tried to select the url, but I keep getting a "page not found" message. So I don't know what Chuck Crawford story is there. However, Crawford is still a presence in the mountains to this day. One wants to be alert when travelling in the neighborhood of his haunts.
Tom Glover recounts a Chuck Crawford story in his book, vol.1.

What is it you're trying to find out about him?
Loke
Greenhorn

Post by Loke »

Grrrr - typo on my part - here's the correct url:
[url]http://www.azwv.com/pmc/azwv/parchive_crawford.asp[/url]

Wiz,
Thank you for answering!
I have no particular interest in the fellow - other than he seemed to have found at least one of the mines ... It makes me wonder why the rest of you are still looking ...
I can understand the lure of the Jesuit Treasure, but as for the old mine(s) - well, according to the article - one has been found and 'used'!

Regards,
Loke
Knun
Part Timer

Web site

Post by Knun »

Loke didn't quite have the link right. Here it is:

http://www.azwv.com/pmc/azwv/parchive_crawford.asp

Is this the same "Cawford" that ran for Mayor of Apache Junction and promotes his healing concoction?
Loke
Greenhorn

Post by Loke »

And one more thing ....

If he actually found the mines _and_ worked them - how come one cannot find anything about him - anywhere?? Or is it just that I have looked the wrong places?

Knun,
Yes - I was wondering the same. Is this the politician _or_ is it the professor? *chuckles* There were numerous references to a polictician with that name and also a professor (with several books on his conscience) - I didn't think any of those two would have any bearing on the case - so didn't look too closely. However, maybe he is the politician? If _I_ had been 'robbed' the way he obviously was (by the establishment), then _I_ would have gone into politics as well *lol*

Regards,
Loke
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

I got it that time. Wow! All that's missing is the government involvement with UFO coverups! I don't know Crawford personally. But I would bet even money that he wrote that article, or at least dictated it.
There have been several articles about him in the local Arizona papers throughout the years. You might try contacting the Arizona Republic and signing up or whatever you have to do to get access to their archives.
Wiz
Expert

Re: Web site

Post by Wiz »

Knun wrote:Loke didn't quite have the link right. Here it is:

http://www.azwv.com/pmc/azwv/parchive_crawford.asp

Is this the same "Cawford" that ran for Mayor of Apache Junction and promotes his healing concoction?
You know, now that you say that, I believe he ran for Sheriff or something once.
Loke
Greenhorn

Post by Loke »

Wiz,
Yeppers - that was my initial thought as well.
Before I would swallow all of it - however - I wanted to know what the rest of you thought about it *lol* - and then I made the stupid mistake with the url ...
If it's really true that it even has been on the local TV - I was surprised that no-one in this forum had reacted to it. I came across it only because I was following some links - and not in a very consistant manner either. I do hope there are others that have a view on the subject.

Wiz - you said that one should not get too near his haunts. Would you like to elaborate on that? (If not, it's OK *smile*).

Regards,
Loke
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Loke,
No, I don't really want to elaborate, other than saying that he has a reputation for being a little less than hospitable. And I didn't say to stay away from his haunts, just to stay alert. That's good advice anyplace in the Superstitions (or anywhere else, for that matter).
But no one here is going to get excited about his "find". People find the Dutchman all the time. Look up some references on Crazy Jake. I've never seen it documented that Crawford coughed up so much as a flake of gold. Until someone does, pretty much the entire dutch hunting community remains skeptical. Like the boy who cried "wolf", y'know?
Last edited by Wiz on Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Loke
Greenhorn

Post by Loke »

Yup guys, he _is_ the one that ran for Sheriff in 2000 ...
[url]http://www.azstarnet.com/vote2000/0816.shtml[/url]

It's strange - doing a search on "charles crawford", didn't take me very far - however, when you try "chuck crawford" you start to get some results!

Regards,
Loke
Loke
Greenhorn

Post by Loke »

Wiz,
*chuckles* Thanks for the warning, and thanks for the 'bucket of cold water'! I guess I'm too new to this game - and too easily excited! Also, I guess I didn't read the article well enough, just 'stored it' for later retrieval. I took it for granted that the 'documented proofs' were just that, and couldn't understand why you are all still searching ....

Oh well, one lives and learns!!

Thanks again!

Regards,
Loke
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Loke,

Dont feel too bad about being taken in. Same thing happened to me when I read my 1st LDM book some years back. I figured Glen Magill just HAD to have found the LDM on Bluff Springs Mtn. Live and learn.

What makes you think most of the forum members are searching for the LDM? I'd wager that many of us just use Dutch Hunting as an excuse to go into the mountains and soak in the magnificence of the region....

P
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Loke,
Sorry, I didn't intend a "cold water" treatment! I forget that you're in Texas, and haven't been seeing people finding the LDM on a regular basis. The mountains attract a colorful assortment of characters, that's for sure!
And Peter is right - it's hard to think about mine-hunting when you're in such a spectacular, breathtaking area. You need to come on out and see it for yourself!
Loke
Greenhorn

Post by Loke »

Oh but I will! My daughter lives just north of Phoenix and I do think she will be getting more visits than she ever bargained for!!

I love mountains in general - treasure or not - it will be no hardship not to find anything but mountains :-)
Mind you - having read most of the posts (and the old ones) by now - I would say that Dutch hunting _does_ play a role - however, it may just be as an added incentive.

Btw - I found exactly the same article at [url]www.azlegend.com/azl/trulegend/tlegend_ccrawford.asp[/url].

It _was_ the same Charles Crawford that was running as Republican sheriff candidate, however, he was not endorsed by the party. He was beaten by a 2-to-1 ratio, said he was on a mission by God and that he was a 'healer'. He did not talk much in public but relied on fliers and a website. He confessed to being self-taught when it comes to law and justice. He was described as a 'retired gold-hunter'.

I tried the Arizona Republic but could not find any reference to him (alas).

Wiz,
*smile* The 'cold-water-treatment' was obviously needed! It's just too easy to get carried away when you think you have found some snibbets of info - put it all down to ignorance!!

Thank y'all for your answers!

Regards,
Loke
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Found!

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Loke,

Crawford found his LDM in La Barge Canyon around 1980. The most I have seen in print concerning him, was on pp. 106-107 of "Fools' Gold" by,
Robert Sikorsky. If you need more information than what is in there and what you have found, let me know. I did not know Crawford, but know someone who knew him well. Crawford was, and still is, in La Barge Box as far as I know.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Ron
Part Timer

Charles ( Chuck) Crawford

Post by Ron »

Loke,

I guess I've been away from the web site for awhile. I decided to see what was happening. I seem to be spending much of my time in a fire fight with the Forest Service. The post on Chuck caught my eye. I know him pretty well. He's been around here for years.He actually lived at my place years ago. He is also one in the same as you all have described him.Chuck has some claims outside the wilderness on the east side, but still has interests in LaBarge. Chuck is out there and I don't mean physically only. In the early days he shot up a popular bar here called the Lucky Nugget and went to prison , I think for a couple of years. He is from New York and claimed he was the reincarnation of Billy the Kid. I don't really ever remember him claiming much gold , but he always claimed he found the Dutchman. He always insisted that what he had was a platinum mine. I never saw anything that resembled that or anything else. Once he wanted me to have the concession to take people on horseback to the Dutchman. I of course graciously declined: however, I will say this , I would of voted for him for sheriff.HE was probaly more honest than most politicians and that isn't necessarily an endorsement: however the N.R.A. did support his campaign supposedly. One other thing is he was Bob Ward's partner for awhile. His hair is completely white now, but he is still some of the old local color of these mountains, which is getting pretty sparse nowadays.
azdave35
Part Timer

crawford

Post by azdave35 »

i met chuck crawford about 12 years ago...he had some claims on the east end of the superstitions.....he claimed to have over 80 ounces to the ton of platinum...i had a mill at the time and he wanted me to work his ore for him.....i lost contact with him and we never struck a deal....i wouldnt mind talking to chuck again if anyone knows how to get hold of him please let me know...thank you
Scott
Part Timer

Post by Scott »

I can help with the recovery process.We have a new process to recover the platinum groupe elements using non-toxic,hence no EPA regs.
The process uses chemical.electro-wining,and ionic transfer to release trapped and contaminated PT groupe elements. The process pays for itself.A normal recovery of 80 oz per tonne auviourse will yield 86.3 to 90 oz of the Pt groupe in elemental state.Dark beer is required to continue the recovery into the silver and gold groups.