Burials in The Superstitons

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
RU Kidding
Greenhorn

Burials in The Superstitons

Post by RU Kidding »

Last summer I was talking to Ron about the time I scattered my friends ashes over Weavers Needle back in '87-I thought this was unique but Ron said it happens from time to time. I was wondering if any of you had stories of other burials in the Supes.??
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Ashes

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

RU,

As my cousin and I walked out last March, we met a large group at Parker Pass. I think there were around 27 people. We walked and talked with around six or seven of the men. Many of them knew my Uncle Chuck, My mom's uncle, Obie Stoker, Tracy Hawkins, Ernie Provence and a number of other old timers, most no longer with us. I really enjoyed that walk out and talking to these Dutch Hunters.
They were there to spread the ashes of the father of one of the men at Parker Pass. While I don't remember the name, I was told the he had been a well known Dutch Hunter for many years. Perhaps someone else knows his name.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
azdave35
Part Timer

obie stoker

Post by azdave35 »

is obie stoker still alive?
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Obie Stoker

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Dave,

The family lost track of Obie a number of years ago. He was always in a hurry to get down the road. He was obsessed with finding a young girl (18 or younger) to marry him. Last we heard he had found one back in Florida.
Did you know him? I would love to hear any stories you might have.
I have stacks of old letters from Obie and the manuscript for the book he tried to sell. I would not recomended anyone trying to read the thing but, or course, I have. The truth about his life would make a better book than many adventure novels, but he was a mental mess, especially in his later years. Shell shock from WWII. When Olive died he went off the deep end.

Obie was born in Hillsborow, Texas in 1898 so if he was still alive he would be 105 years old. We tried to get him to stay with family but there was no chance he would quit moving for any amount of time. That's how Obie stayed alive. I am trying to find out when and where he passed away. The V.A. is my next stop.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
[email protected]
azdave35
Part Timer

obie stoker

Post by azdave35 »

hi joe.....a number of years ago i met a couple guys that were partners with obie on a mine he was trying to open up by second water....i went in with them and saw their diggings.....there was a tunnel close to the base of the mountain that obie told them was the original tunnel that he found in the 1930's....he thought it was the LDM and supposedly show the 2 partners a receipt where he had sold a few thousand bucks worth of gold to a refinery in tuscon......he told them the tunnel collapsed from a small earthquake in the thirties......so he talked these 2 into blasting a new tunnel farther up the mountain.....which they did untill the forrest service shut them down in the 1980's.....they lost touch with obie and never heard from him again....i ended up partnering up with one of the partners on some other mining excursions........but i was just wondering if ole obie was still living....thanks for your help joe....if you would like to know more about the mine he found...email me ...[email protected]
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The LDM?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Dave,

Thank you for your reply and offer of information.

Obie and Olive first found the "? Question Mark No. 1" in 1924. While he claimed that he found a "tunnel", what they actually found was the mine itself. It was located above Second Water and in a crevice. They left, as Obie was prone to do, and did not return until after (he claims) the mine was covered by an "earth-slide" in 1933. While there may have been a "tunnel" it was more than likely that it was started by Obie and his early partners to try to intersect the covered mine. Anyones call on that "fact".

I have the actual claims that were filed by Obie, and his partners names are included on them. Over the years he had many formal and informal partners. Robert Jacobs being one. In 1975 his partners were Rollie and Floyd Hubler, Jerry Sherwood and Bob Dierking. Their signatures are on the Notice of Location-Lode Claim.

Thanks for your interest.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
azdave35
Part Timer

obie stoker

Post by azdave35 »

hi joe......the partners i'm talking about came along in the late 1970's....warren koneman was one of them....the other was bruce...i cant remember his last name....when you say bob dierking ...are you talking about the bob deirking that used to (or might still) own the golden hillside mine north of the black queen mine in the goldfield area?....and if it is...do you know if he is still alive?...it has been over 10 years since i've talked to him....last time i saw him he was buying an impact mill from me...lol.....thanks....Dave
Roger
Part Timer

Obie Stoker's Mine Map

Post by Roger »

I have a copy of Obie Stoker's map drawn to his mine in the Boulder Canyon area that was published in the October issue of the Travel Examiner. He was claiming it was the Lost Dutchman's mine and was subsequently covered over by a land slide around 1925.

I often wondered about his history and appreciate the details provided above.

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Obie's Map

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

I have never seen the map you mentioned. Any chance you could send me a copy? If you have a scanner, you could E-mail it. I would love to see it, and could let you know if it is something that Obie actually created.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
[email protected]
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Obie's Partners

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Dave,

Warren Koneman and Bruce Gillete were Obie's partners into the early eighties. Obie had a slight hitch in their partnership and purchase a new 30-30 "Windchester" to bolster his side of the conversation. After arriving at the mine, Bruce managed to smooth things over and Obie said: "i changed my hostile mind." Obie stated that both were "construction workers not miners" but that "thier work is suficent for my work into 1982 therefore letin-it ride."

I would guess that there was only one Bob Dierking in the area that was into mining around the Superstitions so he is probably the one you sold your impact mill to. I don't know Bob, so have no idea if he is still living.

Nice talking to you.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
azdave35
Part Timer

obie stoker

Post by azdave35 »

hi joe....i had a few run ins with warren myself.....so i believe obie when he says he had trouble with him.....i knew warren pretty well back then ....him and bruce and obie hired a dowser from oklahoma to dowse the side of the mountain for them.....instead of digging out the original tunnel....they went farther up the mountain and blasted a shaft staight down 50 ft ..warren told me that bruce conveniently forgot to put obies name on the claim when they did assesment...and that riled obie up....at some point in time obie bailed out.....matter of fact i wondered if they had done something with him... ...the forrest service finally shut them down and dumped a bunch of trash in their shaft....but its still there if anyone wants to go look at it....there are also some spanish markings in the area that he showed me.....some of them pointed to obie's mine and some of them pointed to a mine on the mountain behind the mountain that obie's mine is on..he also told me of an old silver mine in the area.....i never went and checked it out but he showed me which wash it was located in....i heard that warren died but i'm not sure...if anyone knows.....i'd like to hear about it...thanks
azdave35
Part Timer

obie's map

Post by azdave35 »

hi roger.....is there any chance you could send a copy of obie's map to me also?...i would appreciate it very much....thank [email protected]
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Question Mark Mine

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Dave,

Thank you for your reply and for the additional information on Obie.

You have gotten the story the same as what Obie wrote to my mom and aunt.

If anyone is interested, I will be happy to send a copy of the claim on request.

I have some information on Obie's death. He died in Texas in 2000. That would have made him 102 years old. That is really hard to believe, because of his known health problems, so I am trying to find out a little more.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
azdave35
Part Timer

obie stoker

Post by azdave35 »

sure joe...i'd like a copy of the claim...also one more thing about obie....i dont know how true it is....but warren told obie had a photo of him and teddy roosevelt when they did the rope cutting ceremony at the roosevelt dam...warren said he saw the photo....my email is [email protected]
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

In His Dreams

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Dave,

It is hard to make some people understand about Obie Stoker. He lived in a dream world that was a sad mixture of fact and fiction. If you could see his letters and his "book" you would understand completely.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Scott
Part Timer

Post by Scott »

RU,
Every year the Dons club members set a couple of members to rest.
The good eye will see the fragments as what they are.I will never forget the knowledge passed from John.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Obie's Map

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

After we asked for a copy of Obie's map, you "left the building". What gives?

If anyone wants Obie's directions on how to reach the mine or a copy of the claim, I have no problem E-mailing them. In some cases, I realize that an E-mail address may reveal something that you may want to keep secret, such as another identity. Is that what has happened to Roger?
Pure conjecture so I could, of course, be wrong.

Respecfully,

Joe Ribaudo
RU Kidding
Greenhorn

Post by RU Kidding »

Gosh! And to think this post was originally about burials in the Supes! :D :D
Roger
Part Timer

Obie's Maps to His Mine

Post by Roger »

Joe, you are a case at times. I think I have figured out your personality by reading several hundred of your postings for the past several months. Your game appears to be to poke at the Forum players to see if you can bait them into exposing something they might not want to that would be of interest to you.

Ok, I'll take your bait. After posting my message on Obie's maps, I had 1 - and I repeat, only 1 - private posting to me requesting information on where to find the map or could I provide a copy. I sent a scanned copy to the individual that he could not open, so I mailed him a hard copy.

Don't just sit out there and whine - have a little inititative!!!!!! You might get something for your troubles.

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

What in the hell are you talking about? You are so wrong about my posts that I wonder if you are not well. You say you have read "several hundred of my postings". Just what information do you think I am fishing for?

I am only interested in the Stone Maps as far as my own search goes. Just who do you think has information that I would like to have? Perhaps you feel I have not started enough topics that have nothing to do with the Stone Maps. Perhaps I have not asked questions on other subjects that have generated enough debate and speculation for your tastes. Have you learned nothing new from any of the conversations I have had on this forum with those who have something to contribute?

What's the use of having this forum if not to get the other guy to tell us all something we can't read for ourselves? Most of the questions I ask, I already know the answer to. I thought that was fairly obvious.

I spent a lot of time on Peter's "Two Soldiers/Joe Deering" topic. It had the most replies I have seen on any topic. Most of those were between Peter and I, and had no value. If you found nothing new being presented in the entire thread, you need to reread it. It was a topic I have no faith or belief in.

I think I have been as open as anyone on this forum. I use my real name. I have placed my E-mail address on the forum. Many of the members of this forum have my phone number and address. If you are just now getting to know me and how (you think) I think, you are a little slow.

NO ONE has been as up front with their beliefs and opinions as I have.
That appears to have lost me someone I considered a friend, but I have made many others.

"Have a little inititative!!!!!!" You have got to be kidding.

I asked you for a copy of Obie's map and gave you my E-mail address. I also offered to send you a copy of the claim. I have offered to give anyone who wanted it, the directions (written by Obie) on how to get to the "Question Mark Mine".

[Roger]
"Ok, I'll take your bait. After posting my message on Obie's maps, I had 1 - and I repeat, only 1 - private posting to me requesting information on where to find the map or could I provide a copy. I sent a scanned copy to the individual that he could not open, so I mailed him a hard copy." (emphasis in bold by Joe)

OK, you took my "bait". You can spit it out now, as the only hook is in your imagination. :roll:

"Never trust a man who does not talk, or a dog that does not bark".

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:14 am Post subject: Obie's Map

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roger,

I have never seen the map you mentioned. Any chance you could send me a copy? If you have a scanner, you could E-mail it. I would love to see it, and could let you know if it is something that Obie actually created.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
[email protected]

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:17 pm Post subject: obie's map

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi roger.....is there any chance you could send a copy of obie's map to me also?...i would appreciate it very much....thank [email protected]
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Now THAT was an entertaining exchange.......
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Entertaining?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

Perhaps you can start a topic that deals with the Superstitions. With all the research that you have done, there must be something that you know that is new and has nothing to do with what you are seeking.

We could go back to Fort McDowell and discuss those who were buried in the cemetary.

Perhaps a topic that looks into the existence of Jacob's partner, or if any money was sent to his relatives in Germany?

What about a discussion on Ed Piper or the lights his crew claims to have seen on the side of Weaver's Needle?

Everyone waiting for someone else to start an interesting topic?

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Dah.
Roger
Part Timer

Obie Stoker Maps

Post by Roger »

Joe, just sent you the two scanned Obie Stoker maps. One is of the Supers area in general and the other is a more detailed one of the mine location on a mountain. If you can't open them, let me know and I will mail a hard copy.

I will offer an apology in that I did not see your earlier posting requesting a copy of the maps. I try to read all the postings but do miss some. Recently got a new computer and then had to get a new scanner to match it.

I know from your postings that Obie was a relative and your interest in info about him.

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Obie's Maps

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

I received the maps. Thank you very much.

They are interesting, but I would not want to spend any time pounding around trying to follow them. The map with the photo is pretty much
"Obie Stoker". The other one looks like someone else's work.

I appreciate the apology. You are not alone in your opinion of me. I say what I believe, and that rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Perhaps I need to change my personality to get along better. I doubt that will happen any time soon, so no need for you guys to hold your breath.

As you can tell from my participation in this forum, I enjoy the topics and the people who have something to say. When it slows down, I like to try to get the conversation going again.

Thanks again for the reply and the maps.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo