Treasure trove permit futile

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
rgm840
Greenhorn

Treasure trove permit futile

Post by rgm840 »

I while back a forest service employee was quoted in the newspaper as boasting that no one had ever been granted a permit.

As yet, to my knowledge, no one has been allowed to dig. Does that make seeking a treasure trove permit a waste of time?
Harry
Ron
Part Timer

treasure trovepermit futile

Post by Ron »

There are many aspects to the answer. First, and foremost ,one has to qualify on the requirements to even apply. It must be man made treasure you are seeking. You can not apply for one because there is a gold vein, as example. Trust me I know the complexities of a permit. You also have to prove to a degree of certainity, that there is a possibility that there is treasure there. Without that your dead. Remember the Forest Service does not wish to issue these, but they have to stick close to their confines of the regulation , also. If you were to get past all this and recieve the nod, as I did , expect to spend alot of money and time meeting their strict requirements, as I have had to. It has been almost a three year endeavor to get the final OK to dig. Believe me , the Forest Service is not about to make a mistake on this one and they're damn sure not going to allow me to make any either. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Once you get to the point I have , the politicing begins inside their internal organization. I have had to hire a Washington D.C. lawyer to help us through this part. So good luck.
Scott
Part Timer

What is considered Treasure?

Post by Scott »

Ron, Could you answer a question or three about the "official" defination
of treasure.Could an ore body considered a trove? Will simple displacement of the ore from the lode be considered?Will concentrates be considered if processed by man but stored in the "mine" be considered a trove?
Ron
Part Timer

treasure permit futile

Post by Ron »

Scott,

I just got back and found your question. An ore body or displacement of such would not qualify. Concentrates, I'm sure would not also. They are still created by nature. Bullion , on the other hand was made by man.