Move a family to Apache Junction?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Kupa
Greenhorn

Move a family to Apache Junction?

Post by Kupa »

A few weeks back, my wife, our two kids and I camped at the state campground at the base of the Superstitions for a few nights. We were all very taken by the splendor of the area, the history, the mysteries, and natural beauty as we watched the full moon rise over the craggy peaks.

We are facing some of lifes curve balls now that we've returned home and a spark that caught both my wife and my eyes has now started to burn like a flame.

We're intrigued by the possibility of moving to Apache Junction. On our visit we saw a good number of homes for sale that seemed affordably priced. The landscape is moving and inspiring. The temps are what I miss, being a desert dweller in the the past.

Is it a crazy idea to think about a move like this? Is Apache Junction a real community? Are there any range wars brewing about? Any regrets from those that live there?

Thanks for any and all input...

SC
Scott
Part Timer

Post by Scott »

The Phoenix metro area is huge and spilling over west into Avondale,East into AJ and Pinal county,north past New River. The economy here is stable due to exploding growth. The laws here are enforced with sensibilty,carrying guns and C3 type are ok.The desert areas are being cleared for houses very fast. The areas I thought no one would ever live are now shopping centers. The housing here only raises in value. I am sorry to see such growth. The best bird hunting and 4x4 areas are almost all gone,the politicians are notoriously inept. Might as well come and get some too!
Kupa
Greenhorn

Post by Kupa »

Sounds like bringing my non-PC stash of black, pistol-gripped auto loading rifles wouldn't be an issue in AJ. Nor would the 4" lifted FJ40 with lockers... :lol:

What kind of growth/belief/lifestyle debates are getting people hot under the collar in the junction?
Scott
Part Timer

Post by Scott »

Progressive ,non-denominational , conservative schooling ,will bring any April BBQ disscusion to the question,Whats that case of beer's "born on date"?
Kupa
Greenhorn

Post by Kupa »

I like hearing non-denominational and beer in the same sentence. Arizona isn't Utah, and there's the difference. ;)
nicoh
Greenhorn

Post by nicoh »

Hi SC (Kupa?)
Sorry to hear about the curveballs. But if they're anything like most Diamondback pitchers' curveballs lately, just be patient and you'll bat 'em out of the park. Hehe.
Got the Missouri miseries? I had them, too. That's why I moved out here 10 years ago; wish I'd done it sooner.
As a fellow born and raised Midwesterner, I'll share a few observations with ya. First, yep, it's beautiful, even on the worst day here.
But it seems almost as if Phoenix is trying so hard to be LA, in that there are a lot of superficial people out here, and a lot of "flakes." I mean, due to the rather transitory nature of most of Phoenix's newer inhabitants, most don't pledge many allegiances. They usually come to enjoy a sort of extended vacation, or to pick up certifications, degrees, a rung up a corporate ladder, etc, and within a few years, they're gone. I've made surprisingly good friends in surprisingly short times, and then, wham, they either go back home, or on to the next city (often because the fun of the vacation had faded). It's a little strange. Unsettling, even, to use a pun.
AJ might be a little different, though, as most folks I know there are either natives, or have seen enough summers (heh) to be considered natives.
Someone said in an earlier post "it's not Utah." Well, in a way it is, really. Mesa has the second highest number of Mormons, right behind Salt Lake, and they have a whole lot of influence on much of the East Valley. As individuals, they're the most polite, down to earth, sometimes most colorful and cheerful people I've met out here, but as an organization, it's no secret that they try to infringe on lifestyles of others around them (not to mention abroad, but that's a whole 'nuther can o' worms!).
These criticisms of Phoenix in general may seem prudish, even cynical, but these are a few of the less-than-beautiful elements I've seen here, if only on the social level. So I'm sure you realize that these little nuisances pale in comparison to the positives of living in AZ. As a closing positive, the last Governor we had said that if the federal government passed a national gun prohibition, AZ will secede from the Union! LOL No kidding. Ahh, Arizona.
Be sure to have a job absolutely secured before coming out, though, because, yes, there's a lot of industry (mainly production and IT), but there's also a LOT of people fighting for the comparatively few jobs openings around.
A good deal of what I've written has been personal interpretation I'm sharing from the sole perspective frame of one Missourian to another, but there's a bigger deal of fact I'm sharing that is not opinion nor of any "regional mindset. " Either way I hope this helps. If you'd like anything further explained, or any questions you'd like answered in my patented frankness, please ask.
Ciao for now.
n
PS, Disregard some portions of this post if you're a different S.C. than the one who's a regular on this board! LOL
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Havasu Plug

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Kupa,

Apache Junction is a great little (busy) area. It's not Lake Havasu, but it does have the Superstitions. I don't know what part of the country you live in, but if it snows there, any part of the Arizona desert would probably be an improvement. If you miss the snow, you can visit it with just a few hours drive.

Nicoh,

Are you telling us S.C. is from missouri? I was sure he was a local. How does he get all that wonderful information from so far away? 8O S.C. never signs at the end of his posts.

Joe Ribaudo
Kupa
Greenhorn

Post by Kupa »

Hey guys, great feedback so far. I'm not a member of the board from the past, I do use SC ocassionally, stands for Steve Cooper... and Kupa is a derivation of my last name when pronounced with a Boston accent. So any past S.C. in this forum would be an alotgether different person.

I grew up back east, but moved away from Boston to start a business and live in Zion National Park for about ten years. I left Utah back in '97 for a an executive position in Santa Cruz, California, my current home base.

Now I hear the desert calling me again.

My wife and I are not religious at all, we're social drinkers and take a libertarian approach to most politics. We want our kids to grow up with open minds, a strong will and a sense of fairness and responsibility.

I'm researching AJ to see if the community tends to be heavily judgemental (some past experiences in Utah to blame) or overly busy-bodied :) I'm a gun owner and a former Reagan republican, but Santa Cruz has definately softened my political perspectives. Conservative mindsets in the west are cool by me and as expected as glowing red peaks at sunset and a 110 in the summer, but I like seeing a separation of religion and politics.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Do People Still Live There?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Kupa,

California!!! For crying ( :cry: ) out loud, what are you thinking? Grab your family quick and, runaway, runaway! :lol:
I lived in Felton for a year while working in San Francisco. Nice place to visit, but no place for kids. You should have to show ID to get into the area, and may have to before that State is done.
Welcome in advance to Arizona. :)

Joe Ribaudo
Beautiful Lake Havasu City
Kupa
Greenhorn

Post by Kupa »

Joe- Felton to Havasu. Sounds like a great move. How long ago were you in Felton? What sparked the move to Arizona?

Prior to moving to Santa Cruz by the ocean, I had a home in the Santa Cruz mountains, in Bonny Doon, on the ridge up above Felton. Great location in the redwoods. 4 acres of land, mountain top views of the San Lorenzo valley, but loads of rain and power outages in the winter.

My kids are 10 and 13, very creative, big fans of Monty Python (runaway! runaway!) and typical Santa Cruz kids. They skateboard, know all the slang and "colorful" language, wear urban clothes, and are pretty sophisticated. I worry about them fitting into a more conservative school system. They both fell in love with the superstition mountains and I think they would deal with a move well. They also really liked Springdale, the little town in Utah I used to live in, just outside Zion National Park. They are both artisitc and Sproingdale is not a typical Utah small town. Lots of artists, writers, poets, sculptors, and creative types. But the middle and high schools, 20 miles to the south in Hurricane, are too small to offer an alternative to the philosophies of the predominant religion base.

If we didn't have to consider that, we'd probably be packing up for Zion this week. :) Apache Junction/Arizona seems a little different though in respect to the influence. At least first impressions seem that way.

Cheers,

SC (kupa)
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Arizona

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Kupa,

It was twenty to twenty-five years ago. My home at that time was just outside of Durango Colorado. A few adventures have floated under the bridge since that time. I was living in Southern California when we chucked it all and moved to Lake Havasu City ten years ago. Good move.
Ron has lived in Apache Junction for a number of years and raised two boys (that I know of). They are both fine young men now, and that may say something for raising kids in that area.
We can always use another SC on the forum, as my friend has been silent for awhile, along with a few others. :cry:

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
[email protected]
Ron
Part Timer

move a family to Apache Junction

Post by Ron »

Thank you for the compliments , Joe. Although , I think Apache Junction had way less to do with the way my sons turned out , than the way we taught them , I certainly welcome people that seem to be of Kupa's beliefs here. We certainly need help in that department all over the west, not just Apache Junction. Beyond that though Kupa, I have traveled many places in the world, and would call no other place my home, not Apache Junction that is , but the Superstition Mountains, at least living close by them. This area is very unique and special , felt by many. There are many other beautiful place in the states, but this particular desert, or at least what is left is most unique. There are pretty big trees in Washington, Colorado, Michican, but no where else is this desert. Apache Junction which I actually don't live in has nothing to do with my love of it here. Rather if I lived in the town or any town , it would distract from my enjoyment., but that doesn't answer your question entirely. Apache Junction has some real issues , but what city doesn't? The city is addressing important issues like keeping open space, of which my wife, Jayne is on the steering comittee. The government is on a campaign to I fence us off public land , which is also a hot potato out here. I guess what I'm trying to relay is that these issues that are at the crux of our freedoms would never be an issue in Phoenix , Mesa, or Chicago. Here we still maintain some of those rights as human beings, or Americans and the community closest to my door is addressing some of those things. Come , you have already been sucked into the spell of the Mountain.
Sorry , I have not been on the site, for awhile, but much time is needed elsewhere, and the Forest Service takes alot of time up. We are endeavoring to perserve, and that is one thing this desert has taught myself and family, is perseverence.