Peralta Letter

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Peter
Expert

Peralta Letter

Post by Peter »

Hello Folks,

I finally dug up the letter concerning the visit to the LDM mine area in approximately the 1907 time frame . Looks like I erred in my post concerning an 1895 date. Looks like it was neither a Gonzalez or Ballesterros who visited the mine..but two Peraltas.

The letter is from an Emilio (Peralta) Drigo. It is dated May 2, 1932 , Chicago, ILL. It is addressed to one Irwin Ruth. Please do not ask me about my source, lets just say it is a close friend....

Below are the pertinent excerpts. Its spelling and grammar are exact. The postscript might have some of you scambling for your maps.....

Enjoy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Irwin Ruth
Dear Friend -

" ...........If you like my uncle to help you I will tell you where he lives. He told me about twenty five years ago he made journey to those Superstitions Mountain range with my cousin and showed him the very place gold was removed. He said place had been shaken up or flooded some but he was sure he know the place. He is 86 years but was there when just growing into man hood while his fahers and brothers took out gold........

My uncle beleive that much gold still there and can be found there if you could dig for enough to reach this old mine where they woked on it years ago.

Your truly

/s/ Emilio (Peralta) Drigo

P.S.

My uncle say to tell you he has his fathers maps with true directions still but as he do not need directions can give you better as old ones are too correct and too mathematical.

E.D.
S.C.
Part Timer

Ruth Letter

Post by S.C. »

Considering the secondary facts asscoiated with the letters Erwin received...

I wonder if his uncle could have been Christabol Peralta - of the Salazar incident?

It's just a thought.
Roger
Part Timer

Is That All There Is??

Post by Roger »

Peter, is that all of the "meat" in the Peralta letter or did you have to withhold something? Not asking the divulgence of anything, just wondering if there was some addtional content to the letter relative to the LDM than what you posted.

Roger
Roger
Part Timer

Peralta Letter - The Good News

Post by Roger »

Another more relevant thought on Peter's posting on the Peralta letter is this:

If Emilio (Peralta) Drigo visited the LDM mine in 1907 and his observation was that the "place had been shaken up or flooded some", then this should be considered excellent news for Dutch Hunters. This means that the physical site of the LDM was still intact in 1907 - many years after the earthquake in the Supers that could have permanently covered/destroyed the ledge in the high ravine that is host to the mine. This in turn means that the "true" physical clues to the LMD mine in terms of it description are probably still valid although the pits themselves are undoubtedly covered.

I suspect many of us have wondered if the mine site was really still there and if we were chasing a will-o'-the-wisp that no longer existed. Have heart - it's probably still there!!!!!!!

Roger
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

SC

Who knows.... maybe tho....

Roger

Only information withheld was some family stuff. That's it as far as meat goes...no clues other than busted up terrain...

P
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

Yeah. Peter is correct. That is the meat of it.

The other stuff I referred to was just that the guy was from Spain - just as was Christabol Peralta. And the time frame. The time frame of Salazar meeting Christabol Peralta was around 1924 and the Peralta that communicated with Ruth was 1932.
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Peralta letter to Erwin = Bad Timing.!

Post by Gene Reynolds »

Peter says -

The letter is from an Emilio (Peralta) Drigo. It is dated May 2, 1932 , Chicago, ILL. It is addressed to one Irwin Ruth.

Mr. Irwin Ruth
Dear Friend -

" ...........If you like my uncle to help you I will tell you where he lives. He told me about twenty five years ago he made journey to those Superstitions Mountain range with my cousin and showed him the very place gold was removed. He said place had been shaken up or flooded some but he was sure he know the place. He is 86 years but was there when just growing into man hood while his fahers and brothers took out gold........

My uncle beleive that much gold still there and can be found there if you could dig for enough to reach this old mine where they woked on it years ago.

Your truly

/s/ Emilio (Peralta) Drigo

P.S.

My uncle say to tell you he has his fathers maps with true directions still but as he do not need directions can give you better as old ones are too correct and too mathematical.

E.D.

Here's what makes no sense to me = Adolph went into the Sup's on or about the 13th day on June 1931 - His body/head was found on or about the 15th to 18th of December 1931............ Parts of the body were sent to Dr. Hrdlicka in Washington, DC and his report came out in January 1932.

Getting back to Peter's letter - Why would Erwin be writing to anyone about a mine in Arizona long after ( 5 months) His father = disappeared - was found - and then buried in Maryland - and then 5 months later gets a letter from someone in regards to the mine???? Does this make sense - or am I missing something?

Gene Reynolds
Writer of Borrego 13
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Gene

I do not know what to make of it, nor can I comment on Erwins motives. All I can tell you is the letter was quoted verbatim, and I do not think it was a forgery.

My understanding is that Erwin was still interested in the LDM after Adolphs death.

Peter
redison
Part Timer

Peralta Letter

Post by redison »

Gene,

Erwin Ruth remained interested in the Superstition Mountains right up to the time of his death. He kept in contact with a number of people that he knew personally. He was a close friend of Robert Jacobs (Crazy Jake) who originally came to Az. from the Washington D.C. area. He also maintained contact with Glenn Magill, Al Reser & Clay Worst just to name a few.

QUOTE:
"Getting back to Peter's letter - Why would Erwin be writing to anyone about a mine in Arizona long after ( 5 months) His father = disappeared - was found - and then buried in Maryland - and then 5 months later gets a letter from someone in regards to the mine???? Does this make sense - or am I missing something? Gene Reynolds"

Erwin's interest was more along the line of solving the mystery of how his father died than in the mine, but in order to keep up with current events in Az. he openly encouraged correspondence with people searching for the mine, and provoded them with a steady flow of information he had pertaining to it.

Peter's letter fits into the Big Picture without a problem.

redison
skeelos
Greenhorn

Re: Peralta letter to Erwin = Bad Timing.!

Post by skeelos »

Heh, awakening a thread that has lain dormant for about 2 1/2 years. Nicely done. :)

If I(E)rwin Ruth felt that his father was murdered because his father located the mine, then it's reasonable that the best way to find the murderers was to find the mine, because that's where the murderers would be. The timing of the letter makes sense in that regard because if that was Erwin's motivation and if he didn't know the mine's location, he would be searching for clues on how to find it.
Most of the world's problems are caused by people who take themselves too seriously.
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

All of you have good answers

Post by Gene Reynolds »

What all of you are saying makes sense - I know Glenn Magil opened a can of worms with Erwin and Erwin was only to happy to talk to him on many occasions. Thank you for all your answers.......... They all make good sense......... I know that Erwin made several trips to Arizona after Adolphs death. Some for business and others for other things.

What bothered me for a long time was the fact that Glenn said Erwin told him (for whatever the reason) that " Dad's files are all packed up and on the back porch"! It may have been at a time Erwin was unhealthy and fading. Glenn said - Erwin said that "the stuff" was to be picked up by the Lincoln Continental Club - of with both Adolph and Erwin were long time members of. While in Washington at that time - I called (can't remember his name now) a very good friend of theirs and in good standing with the same club - He said he never heard of anyone doing any such thing. (Anderson was his name) As time went on I began to realize where Adolphs files were. (I took the following out of the book and you are unaware of this) Stella Hawkins was the Daughter of Adolph - and here's what she said - " I have a neice that's very greedy , she takes whatever she wants to out of my house and it makes me so mad..!" Stella asks me not to repeat this around her neice. By now most of you are aware the neice is Eleanor Clark.

Bottom line..................

Eleanor not only has ALL the Ruth files but many personal letters written to Arizona by Erwin - and the PERALTA BOOK as well.

As I said before - find Eleanor Clark = and you will find many Gold Mines

Thanks guys for all your help -

Gene Reynolds
Writer of Borrego 13
redison
Part Timer

Lincoln Continental Club

Post by redison »

Gene,

I have a bit of historical trivia that may set you back in your chair.
Do you know who the President of the "Lincoln Continental Club" was?

It was an individual that was well known for restoring and detailing Lincoln Continentals. Some people knew him as Bob Jacobs, Some knew him as Jacob Roberts, some knew him as Robert Jacobs and some knew him as Jake, but most knew him as "Crazy Jake".

Anyone that has ever read his (Jakes) manuscript knows that he claimed to have arrived in Arizona with a trunk full of boxes that contained all of Erwin and Adolph Ruth's papers about the Peralta mines. Jake claimed that Erwin gave it all to him, and in return Jake was supposed to find the man that killed Adolph and Kill Him!

According to stories Jake told around the campfire he completed that task during his first year in Arizona.

redison
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Redison

I have gone thru the Crazy Jake manuscript a couple of times. Interesting how you connected the dots like that. You know your stuff.

P
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Ruth and Crazy Jake - the water is deep!

Post by Gene Reynolds »

I have a bit of historical trivia that may set you back in your chair.

You didn't set me back in my chair - you damn near knocked me out of it.!

I hate researching this stuff all over again - but I guess I need to find out why - how - when Crazy Jake! of all people. Do you know the dates and where he was at - I assume Washington - but sometimes I assume the most likely are am wrong. There must also be a connection then between all of them and John Anderson.

By the way - I tried to open the Ruth murder case while in Arizona 25 years ago with what I felt was substancial proof that his murderer was still very much alive but not well. Needless to say I received a great deal of Bull from the County and they were satisfied with what they had and wanted no part of it. I guess it doesn't matter now - he died around 20 to 23 years ago and I think in a local hospital.

So Jake claimed he had the Ruths stuff - interesting - it would also be interesting to know just how much of Ruth's stuff Eleanor Clark still has and compare notes. Eleanor claims she has "all Dads files" Does that mean = all she could find or what was left or what.? it would be of interest to know when Jake left for Arizona and from where. I have dates here that can place him if he's telling the truth. His Story is possible and if he was with the Washington, DC. Club - what position and dates - when he left etc. If you know any of this for sure already - it will save time - if not - it will take me perhaps 2 weeks to verify what I am wanting to know. It could provide many answers to a good many questions and tie a few loose ends together.

Thanks for your input - your turn ------

Gene

One more thing - Glenn Magill told me (25 years ago) that Erwin told him that he (Erwin) had put dad's files and stuff out on the porch for someone fron the Lincoln Continental club to pick up - but Erwin thought he may still have a copy of the map around the house somewhere for glenn, (this is the copy in Killer Mountains ) that was sent to Glenn. 30 or more years ago - I called John Anderson and asked him if he knew of this stuff on the porch or did he get it for the Club. He knew nothing about it and he was Erwins closest friend from the Club at that time according to Stella.
Last edited by Gene Reynolds on Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Writer of Borrego 13
redison
Part Timer

Crazy Jake

Post by redison »

Gene,

Jake was living in Washington D.C. and running the Lincoln Continental Club and Detail/Restoration shop during the time of the Kennedy administration. Ruth who was a Continental Collector, brought his Contintntals in to Jake for regular "Detail" Jobs.

Jake left the D.C. area very soon after the Kennedy Assasination.

Additional trivia.

Remember now, Jake was a "Story Teller" like No other so this may or may not be true.

Jake claimed that he worked for the CIA and the Lincoln Club was just a front for his CIA activities. He said that he had the serial numbers of the rifle Oswald shot Kennedy with a full month before the assasination occured. This rifle was supposed (according to Jake) to have been purchased by the CIA and given to Oswald for the "job".

Jake claimed that there were about a half a dozen other CIA Agents (Besides himself) that knew all the details concerning the CIA planned assasination.

He also claimed that within 4 hrs of the assasination, all the other agents involved in setting it up but himself and one other agent committed suicide. The two of them that were left, didn't want to commit suicide so they got together and made their plan to escape D.C. before someone changed their minds.

That gives the time period, hope it helps.

Jake died of a heart attack in a Dennys restaurant in Tempe, Az. about 10 years ago. (So the newspapers said). But, Jake had faked his death in the past, and there have been a number of Jake sightings since his reported death. ???

redison
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Now this may be a stretch but its interesting that one of the rumors that Ruths body was found on Peters Mesa may be verified (in a sort of roundabout way) by the fact that CJ spent a good deal of time in the vicinity blowing up canyon walls.

Interesting.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Robert Jacob

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

I received my copy of Jake's manuscript from a friend of mine who was with him, one week before his death. It was at that time that he received
the (complete) copy of Jake's book.

The manuscript has hand written notes deleating portions of what he had typed, and instructions for moving sections to other parts of the book.

Jake was near death, and "bed ridden". He died "about a week later."

I don't suppose anyone could write a direct quote from their copy that shows any of the information that has been mentioned in this thread?

You may have to wait a bit for the answers to Gene's questions.

Kennedy was killed in 1963 and it appears that Jake may have already been in Arizona by that time, possibly as early as 1960. I have been told he came here from New Jersey. A good guess as to the year he was born, would be 1928. Year of death, probably 1993.

I have the address of where he was living when he died, and the name of his wife at the time, but see no reason to post that information. She could still be living.

Respectfully,

Joe
redison
Part Timer

CJ

Post by redison »

Sorry Joe, but "a friend of mine" may be a verifiable source to you but it doesn't carry any weight on this site at all.

Everyone knows Jake's wife was Nancy Cochran, ALL of his claims on the Mesa were in her name and it has never been any kind of a secret. She has moved back to Pennsylvania since his death.

Jake could have visited Az. many times before locating here. Many people do.

Jake was NEVER bedridden before his death. Bed ridden people do no go to Denny's for breakfast. It appears your "good friend" has fed you a bunch of B.S.! This suggests your altered manuscript story is all B.S. too just like everything else you post.

redison
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

redison,

There may have been a few people on this site who didn't know, but I suppose it's possible that "everyone" knew. Why don't you give out her new address and phone number as well? Everyone know that as well?

Why would I need to have a verifiable source for what I said? It's at least as good as your CIA story. :lol:

I would never divulge my source's name, but you have just called my friend a liar, and you don't even know who he is. I will put my money on him, rather than someone who is telling bull shit CIA stories. So would everyone else on this forum, including you. 8O

Joe
redison
Part Timer

CIA Story

Post by redison »

Joe,

Many people have heard Jake's CIA Story. (It's not mine) Go back and read my post about it. It clearly starts out with a disclaimer of how true (or not) it may be.

SO WHAT? If somebody on here didn't know Jake's wife's name? It's public record, and it has NEVER been considered to be a secret by anyone other than YOU!

Take you medicine Joe.

redison
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

First we had Crazy Jake...now we have Crazy Joe......sheesh.......
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Dummies

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wow,

Now everyone will know we are all just the same person! How could we all be on at this time of the morning? Just chance? I think not. That's the problem with multiple personalities, sometimes ya just can't control them all. Peter, your a trip, both of you, or is that all three.....? Could Wyatt be lurking out there somewhere? :lol:
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wait, come back, DED and I are on at the same time. Damn!

You may notice, DED, that Wyatt.....Peter and redison are never on at the same time. Does that mean somethin? :lol: Perhaps I should try hitting the refresh button a few dozen times.

Respectfully,

Joe
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Redison,

Thanks for sharing the Jake stories!
This was shaping up to be a really interesting thread until it suddenly went into the dumper.
redison
Part Timer

Joe/DED whoever

Post by redison »

Joe Ribaudo wrote: You may notice, DED, that Wyatt.....Peter and redison are never on at the same time. Does that mean somethin? :lol: Perhaps I should try hitting the refresh button a few dozen times.

Respectfully,

Joe
You're grabbing in the air in a state of panic Joe. You world is crashing down all around you.

You are facing legal action against you on several fronts. I read what Wyatt posted. I saw the "Just funning with you Joe" at the bottom of it. Everyone else did too.

If I was Mr. Westwood, I would be in the act of obtaining a copy of the complaint you filed against him at the Sheriff's Office and preparing a Law Suit against you for making a false claim against him.

Your B.S. is getting so deep you can't even wiggle around in it anymore. You're sinking in it like quicksand, and I don't see anyone coming your way to pull you out of it.

Go sit in your moderated corner and shut your mouth Joe. Every time you open it it just gets worse for you.

redison