The Stone Maps

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
buscar
Part Timer

THE STONE MAPS

Post by buscar »

Excerpt from my up-coming book, Harry's Rainy-Day Gold of The Superstition Mountains©

Italian-Born, (1645-1711), in Segno, Trentino, Italy, Padre Eusebio Kino came to Americas in 1681. Eusebio Kino was a royal cosmographer in the service of Spain, and sent to America as a skilled mapmaker. Because of his knowledge as a cosmographer, Father Kino, known as "the padre on horseback," may possibly have educated the Jesuits in New Spain, and the skill of map-making past down.

NOTE: I enclose no opinion as to whether the Stone Maps relate to bona fide treasure or not. If they are the real things, it is reasonably possible the location encoded on the maps is/was known and part of the treasure, if not all of it, has already, been retrieved. Although non-scientific, meticulousness study led to this portion of the interpretation of the Stone Maps. Please keep in mind; I am only putting on slippers and not trying to carpet the whole forum with certainty. I probably know a lesser amount of relating to the Stone Maps than anyone else relates.

BUSCA EL MAPA ‘follow, search the map’ BUSCA EL CORAZON ‘to seek, search or look for the heart’

Go about 7:0’clock which is the first gorge from the west end on the south side of Tortoise Mountain which is somewhat difficult past an Indian encampment. Be on the lookout for Indians lying in ambush. Follow northwards up the gorge on horseback or mule past a tall needle that will lead to the hiding place on a slope amongst juniper. The treasure consists of church relics and of a mineral layer smelted into gold bars, meant for shipment to Europe. The pointed hat (to tick off sharply, to bewitch) tells you that we had to hide the church treasure in a cavern under a triangle rock because of one’s nerve of the devil’s mind of biting remarks. Follow the trail to the eighteenth place Tortoise Spring the holy resting place.

buscar :)

late49er
Part Timer

Post by late49er »

The direction of my mine is the narrow gorge.

observe the triangle in the middle of the heart.

Perhaps the treasure has been lifted.

Regards,

Late49er
Jan
Part Timer

Post by Jan »

While Googling the Lost Dutchman Mine and the Peralta Stone Maps last night I came up with some interesting links.

re: Flagg Foundation to dsisplay the original Stone Maps in January. (Did I already post this? Seems like I did but I can't find it.)

Jan. 6-8, 2006
34th Annual Flagg Gem and Mineral Show is set for Jan. 6-8, 2006, in the west parking lot of Mesa Community College (MCC), 1833 W. Southern Ave., in Mesa (entrance on Dobson Road). Parking is free. Family-friendly event at Mesa Community College to feature diverse vendors, children’s activities and the rare Peralta Stone Tablet Treasure Maps. Info: (480) 814-9086 or www.AzMinFun.com.

re: A&E's documentary on the Lost Dutchman Mine

A&E has quit selling it VHS tape and now has it on DVD.
http://store.aetv.com/html/product/index.jhtml?id=73895

re: Peralta Stone Maps

Pro-Mack South mining supply in Apache Junction has a set of them for sale on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

re: New book claims that De Grazia created the Peralta Stone Maps and gives directions to the Lost Dutchman Mine.

http://www.finderskeepers.cc/index.html
buscar
Part Timer

The Stone Maps

Post by buscar »

Investigation, simply stated, is a “search for the truth.” A starting point in breaking the secret coded message The Stone Maps are thought to hold we must first consider the "FIVE W’S and ONE H.” In reference to, lets consider the contributing factors: WHO hid them? WHAT was the reason? WHEN were, they hidden? WHERE did they come from? WHY were, they hidden? HOW did they get there? If we could find the answers, we no doubt would be able to solve a mystery.

Codes and ciphers are forms of secret communication. A code substitute words, phrases, or sentences with groups of letters or numbers, whereas a cipher rearranges letters or uses substitutes to cover-up the message. The cleverness of such secret communication is called cryptology.

It is observable The Stone Maps were made-up and used to assemble the roundabout message (for this event). The message of its own may be the language in which their secret language was done.

Do you know the alphabet that we are using at the present time derived from pictures, at a time previous to the present? Keep in mind, that other letters of the alphabet have different "sound codes" in the Spanish language, even if they are using the identical alphabet. Like English, Spanish has five vowels; on the other hand, in Spanish these vowels are only pronounced one way. There are no short vowels, long vowels, et cetera. They are short and crisp, with no breath, and spoken at the front of the mouth. The lips are rather tenser when speaking Spanish, and the corners of the mouth tend to "smile." So, the next time you think some, beautiful Spanish speaking señorita is smiling at you, she may be just chatting.

Archaeologists and engineers were able to figure out the length of the foot (11 ½) the Greeks used by studying the ruins of the temples that they built and making thousands of careful measurements of them. The Romans spread this small foot measurement all through Europe, where it is still used today. The 12-inch foot that we use is a standard only in English-speaking countries. In other places a foot may be any length from 11 to 14 inches.

An additional common measure was the pace. It was the length of a double step counted from the time one foot left the ground until it was put down a second time. A pace was about 5 feet. A thousand spaces of the Roman soldiers made a mile, just a little more than the mile we use today. Roman markers are still strewn around Europe, which provide evidence of it. At the present we measure a pace as 2 ½ or three feet, the length of a single step.

The yard may well have begun in two ways in two different places. In northern Europe it was the length of the girdle the Anglo-Saxons wore. And in the southern countries it was the length of a double cubit. A cubit is 18 inches. One story goes that at the start of the twelfth century, Henry I of England fixed the yard as the distance between his nose and the thumb of his outstretched arm.

It is noteworthy to observe that all the way through history, most standards of weights and measure have been fixed not by any parliaments or houses of congress but by the rulers of countries or the headmen of tribes. Most of the common measures have come down through the centuries with a small amount of changes since the time of the Saxons. There is in fact about 1/100 inch difference between the early standard yard and our present one.

Speaking of weight, a kip is half a ton, or 1,000 pounds. The first two letters are from the word “Kilo,” which means “ thousand,” and the “P” stands for “pounds.” Hmmm.

Jan
Part Timer

Post by Jan »

Buscar,

Lots of good info, Thanks.

In your research did you find much infromation on Spanish/Mexican length measurements? I am interested in knowing what they would have called a distance of 1000 feet or 1500 feet.

Jan
Jan
Part Timer

The Priest Map

Post by Jan »

Gentlemen,

I was looking at Brad Coopers photos of the stone maps in the members archive section of this website and noticed something on his photo of the priest map that cought my attention. Just below the priest's robe and above the 1847 date there appears to be some scratchings that cannot be made out.

I went through all of my other stone map photos and found one that shows that area a little clearer than Brad's photo does. Maybe I am seeing things, but it sure looks to me like there may have been a date 177? there, the last digit is not clear but looks like it may have been a 5.

I am including a reproduction of Brad's photo and the enlargement of the area from another photo I have below. Does anyone else see what I think I am seeing? If you have any clear photos of the original stones or reproductions, would you take a look at this area and see if they show the same thing?

Brad, do you have any higher resolution photos than the ones you posted in the member archives?

Thanks,

Jan

Jan
Part Timer

Re: The Priest Map

Post by Jan »

Sorry about the double post Joe, I intended to edit out an error and hit the QUOTE button by mistake. Quoted myself resulting in a double post. Eggnog? Yuk! It sticks in my throat!

Merry Christmas to you too sir.

Jan
Last edited by Jan on Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

What?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jan,

What's the story with those two last posts? Stay away from the eggnog for a bit. :lol: How can you have 65 posts, four posts in a row? :?

I have some very high resolution photos taken of the Stone Maps, and will check them out tonight.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Jan
Part Timer

Post by Jan »

Joe,

I dunno Joe, I get these short periods of enhanced brain activity.
I guess I'm on-a-roll! :D

I sure hope your photos show what mine appear to show.
If they do can you email me a high resolution scan of that corner of the photo?

and one more makes 5 in a row.

Thanks,

Jan
Ronnie Kelso
Part Timer

Post by Ronnie Kelso »

Deleted.....................
Last edited by Ronnie Kelso on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger
Part Timer

Peralta Stone Maps

Post by Roger »

Jan,

I have personally examined the original Peralta Stone Maps at the Mesa Museum under the watchful eye of a paid college student hired for that purpose. I made tracings of a number of areas of the stones and never saw any indication of a "faint" date above the 1847 date on the Priest stone. In addition, Chuck Kenworthy send me copies of infra-red photos that he had taken of all the stone faces and then had the photo's dodged and bleached to bring out even the faintest of markings. There was not ghost date on these photos. Chuck probably showed these photo's at the talk he gave at Promack South - you posted a photo under Papagos and White Strangers topic showing him standing in front of some blow-ups of those photos.

I suspect the photo you are looking at is of a reproduction set of stones which use rubber/latex molds and can have lots of defects in them.

Roger
Jan
Part Timer

Post by Jan »

Roger,

Thanks for the Kenworthy background about his study on the maps. I wasn't aware of anyone taking infrared photos of them. I fully agree with you about the possibilityof errors in the reproductions and I have been considering that. I do believe though that the latex mold process is a little more sophisticated than you might think. I am told that it can pick up every feature on a dime and reproduce it accurately.

Hopefully someone (Maybe Joe) has good enough photos of the original stones to tell if there is really anything there.

I don't know where Brad Cooper got his photos from, he didn't say in the post, but the picture I added below his is a direct scan of the stone from a set of maps that Jim Hatt made with his molds. I received a photo in email just a while ago that is supposed to be a high resolotion scan of the stone itself (again, not a scan of a photo) from a map in a set made by Richard Robinson. The only difference I know of between the Hatt and Robinson sets is that Robinson poured his in chalk white plaster and then hand painted the fronts after they hardened. Jim Hatt said he tinted the plaster with stain when he mixed it to give the final color so there is no paint on his sets.

I replaced the original picture I had here so the two different pictures could be seen in the same frame.
Looks to me like the paint may be making it hard to see some of the smaller details in the Robinson set.

Roger
Part Timer

Peralta Stone Maps - Which Is The Original

Post by Roger »

Jan,

The original Peralta Stone Maps have no color what soever in the groves/lines in the stones - the grooves are the same color as the stone itself. The picture you have posted has a dark color lining the groves. Someone has touched these up which would make one suspect that they are reproductions and not the originals. Note that the stone photos on the inside cover of Jim Hatt's booklet have had all the lines highlighted with a dark color.

The earliest copies published of the stone maps was the article "Mystery Maps to Lost Gold Mine" in Life Magazine, June 12, 1964. Several areas of the maps were covered by tape to protect "secret" information the owners wanted hidden.

The next photo publication of the maps was Travis Marlow's "Superstition Treasures" (1965) which contains photos of all the maps again with black tape in certain areas. On the Priest stone photo, I must admit that there appear to be additional scrapings above the 1847 date, but they don't appear as anything specific. This may just be an anomily of the stone itself.

The article "Are the Peralta Stone Maps A Hoax?" by Bernice and Jack McGee published in Frontier Times, April-May 1973 issue explores the background of the key players involved in finding the stone maps. They interviewed a "Don and Pam Hanson" (alias) who were well aquainted with the players in the stone maps. They identified Travis Tumlinson as the finders of the stones and claimed to be good friends with them in Hood River, Oregon. Travis found Map #1 first in 1949 and it was taken to Texas where he showed it to his Father (John Peg Leg Tomlinson?). Travis then took it back home to Oregon and found the remaining 3 stones a year later. In 1959 Travis and his wife, Eileen, were managers of the Apple Growers Association fruit camp in Hood River, Oregon. The "Hansons" came to know them there. Travis also was a foreman in the cold storage area of the fruit camp. His 3rd job was acting as a Oregon deputy of some sort to keep order in the camp. Travis died in the late 1950's or early 1960's and he was buried in Texas. The stone maps then went from Eileen Tomlinson to Travis and Grace Marlow and Travis later allowed the Life Magazine to photo the stones and he then later published his book referenced above. To fund the hunt for the stones treasure, Moel, Inc., was set up and sold 588k shares of stock at 10cents/share with 125 investors. It went bankrupt and the the Feds got after it for selling unregistered stock. Travis Marlow's real name was Clarence O. Mitchell.

Robert Sikorsky in "Fools Gold" (1983) again published photo's of the stone maps. On page 111 showing the Priest map, the ghost markings can again bee seen above the 1847 date.

Jay Frasher published "Lost Dutchman Mine Discoveries" in 1988 and included a set of decent color photos of the stone maps. On page 19, the Priest map shows some rough texturing above the 1847 date. But in good honesty, the whole stone has a rough background texture to it as if it had not been polished completely smooth before being engraved as the two map stones had been.

There are more references that can be explored, but these are a few. My take on the marks above the 1847 date is that they are just natural textureing in the stone and not a purposeful marking with meaning.

One man's idea is another man's/woman's truth!

Roger
Jan
Part Timer

Post by Jan »

Roger,

re: "One man's idea is another man's/woman's truth!"

You have such a polite way of pulling the rug right out from under me. LOL

Yes, all of the photos I have of the stone maps are of reproductions. I have never been even close to the original stones. I do hope to see them at the gem and mineral show next year tho.

I didn't expect to get this deep into the subject, but it is interesting. If there was actually another date to be found on the stone maps, I would much prefer that it would be 1751 to match the date on the stone crosses or at least no later than 1767 which I think was the date of the Jesuit expulsion. 1775 wouldn't match up with anything that I know of, but I have to read it as I see it and forget about what I would like it to say.

I still have hope that Joe's photos of the originals (or anyone elses) will have the detail needed to put this question to rest.

Jan

P.S. Of course, as usual, I reserve the right to argue with anyone that doesn't agree with me! :D
buscar
Part Timer

LIFE MAGAZINE

Post by buscar »

This article is taken from LIFE magazine published June 12, 1964, Vol. 56 No. 24.

Note: In view of the fact that the copyrighted material has not expired, some of the words have been changed (but not misused) in order to bring you this account.

The story begins in 1846, when three Peralta brothers, appeared in Mexico City with saddlebags of gold they had dug in the mountains known as the land of the Apaches. Pedro Peralta in due course headed back north with 68 men to help dig additional mines. It was then; the Apaches massacred the group and covered the mines.

Following this event, prospectors have combed the area for the Peralta mines and the enormous cache they are said to have secreted in the Superstition Mountains. In 1871, a shaft was discovered. Then in 1914, a man found a number of Peralta saddlebags containing gold.

Succeeding to that in 1956 a vacationing Oregon policeman found a stone map. In close proximity he discovered two others.

Note: LIFE magazine mentions three stone maps. The “Heart Map” is not pictured.

After he had studied them, he came to the conclusion that the stone maps were made by the Peraltas showing the location of their mines. It wasn’t long after, he quite his job to search. It proved too much, and his heart gave out. Following his death, his widow passed the maps on to Travis Marlowe. The “Horse Map” led Marlowe to a landmark called, Elephant Butte.

Note: It is my observation, that Travis almost certainly got the idea from the horse’s rear resembling that of an elephant. (Please visit Member Archive)

Marlowe at the time was 59, tired and virtually broke, and his associate in a small oil mineral prospecting corporation, tried to get him to give up looking for the Peralta gold mines and get back to his business.

He eventually came to the conclusion that the symbols on the maps occurring again and yet again in a strange triangle pattern, showing the actual landmarks they symbolized— kept falling quite obvious into groups of threes—three hills, three cactuses.

One of his finds was a triangle surrounded by two hills and a man-made cairn. Positioned within the triangle, he noticed a hill shaped remarkably like the rectangular base of the pointed-hat figure—the witch.

Travis reasoned if the Peraltas made the stone maps, the figures are shorthand orientation to the geography within the region of the mines.

Weavers Needle, he thinks, resembles the witchlike figure on one of the maps. At a certain angle, the rocky spire, he says, looks like a hat called El Sombrero in the time of the Peraltas. This he says confirms his confidence that the mines are in this locale but he is not definite of their exact location.

Roger
Part Timer

My Somewhat Lame Comment

Post by Roger »

Jan,

I meant no disrespect with my comment and hope it wasn't taken in that vein. I'm a lousy poet! I appreciate your posts and you have a great thought analysis on your topics and ideas. I for one have a few facts and a lot of ideas/opinions - but all the Forum members have that and more so please continue to share with me/us.

Roger
Ronnie Kelso
Part Timer

Post by Ronnie Kelso »

Deleted..................
Last edited by Ronnie Kelso on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie Kelso
Part Timer

Post by Ronnie Kelso »

Deleted.................
Last edited by Ronnie Kelso on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Part Timer

Post by Jan »

Roger,

No offense taken at all. I allways enjoy your posts, even when they back me up a few steps. We all need to be reined in at times. The farther one gets off into a wrong direction, the harder it is to get back on the right track. I do appreciate your clear expression of your opinion and value it highly.

Ronnie,

Thanks for the pictures. I have been looking at pictures of the reproductions for so long I forgot how hard it was to see the details on the original stones.

Maybe we could all get together at the Gem and Mineral show in Feb. and have a good look at the originals together. I have a lot of other stuff I'd like to show you guys, but I don't want to post it anywhere on the Internet or distribute it via email.

I am taking off early in the morning to go home for the Holidays. I won't be back until after the 1st, but I will check in on this website from time to time while I am away just to see if anyone has anything new to add.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all!

Jan
Roger
Part Timer

Peralta Stone Maps

Post by Roger »

I had posted this earlier, but thought I would throw it in again on the stone maps. When I examined the stone maps in person in Mesa, AZ, I found an item I had never heard reported. On the Horse stone there are two wavey lines that go to the left of the Horse's head and one is marked with the word "Rio". If you follow those lines, they go past the top of the stone and curve completely around the left side of the stone. On that left side are the words "Santa Fe" engraved in the stone - the letters run vertically up the side of the stone between the two river lines. In Charles Kenworthy's book, "Treasure Signs, Symbols, Shadow & Sun Signs", you will find on the top of page 35 and explaination of the word Rio on treasure maps as:

"This stands for "River", however, it frequently was used on maps to desiginate streams. Also, and fairly frequently, no stream or river as shown on the map actually exists and the true reason for the letters "RIO" is to tell the map reader to put the map to a mirror, and read the mirror/water image message. Additionally, but not often, "RIO", can represent "R-TEN"."

If Santa Fe were actually on the left side of this stone map, the rivers are flowing East of there and would not even be in AZ. However, if the map is mirror reversed, Sante Fe now has the rivers to the West of it.

One other item of coding - The horseshoe marking on the upper left of the Horse map has special significance. Kenworthy on page 36 says of the horseshoe figure:

"This is the classic "tunnel" symbol. The direction it agnles is usually the compass direction of the mine entrance. Frequently this sign will adjoin a mine symbol (a circle in a circle). Many times it will be off to itself or at the top of the map, again just indicating access to the mine will be via a tunnel. It's a good clue, it will show you which slope or mountain side to search."

The horseshoe on the Horse map shows it opening to be to the Southeast. However, when the map is reversed, it shows the opening to be facing the Southwest.

Decoding the wording on the Horse stone plus the other code markers is a real challenge. There is an "A" with a slanted crossbar, two bird signs, a bird's wing, letters hidden in the mane and hoof, etc. A novice map reader would never get thu this coding easily. Chuck Kenworthy claimed that the Horse stone contains the final instructions for locating the mine. The two map stones only get you to the right general area and the directions on the Horse map will lead to the actual mine site.

This is an interesting and challenging set of maps to try to solve. After beating my head on it for some time, I have a lot more respect for the Spanish map makers than when I started!

Happy Holidays to All.

Roger
Jan
Part Timer

Post by Jan »

Roger,

Re: When I examined the stone maps in person in Mesa, AZ, I found an item I had never heard reported. On the Horse stone there are two wavey lines that go to the left of the Horse's head and one is marked with the word "Rio". If you follow those lines, they go past the top of the stone and curve completely around the left side of the stone. On that left side are the words "Santa Fe"

Further down you say: “If Santa Fe were actually on the left side of this stone map”

First you say you saw it, then you say “If it were actually there”

Please clarify if you saw the words Santa Fe, or if you thought you saw them.

My own research of the maps lead me to conclude that they are not there.

Re: Chuck Kenworthy’s Theories and Books.

His theories and interpretations all remain unproven and highly questionable at best.

His books have very pretty covers, but should have been labeled "For Entertainment Only"

Just my opinions,

Jan
buscar
Part Timer

The Stone Maps

Post by buscar »

First and most important, we must answer the question: Why go to such immense lengths to formulate so elaborate of a scheme of encoded stones for a mere purpose to create a hoax?

On the other hand, based on what we already know, is shrouded in mythology. No logical explanation thus far, has helped in rendering full and compelling progress deciphering the stones. The truth is, we don’t know for a fact, if they were found where accounts suggest. Even the discovery date does not correlate within the story. The absence of facts fails to support a likely answer. Research efforts to the validity of the secret message the stone maps are suppose to contain leaves an additional criticism.

Why wouldn’t we be able to learn the codes and ciphers and then work out where x marks the spot? The stones insults the intellect in the fact that even the Rosetta Stone that was carved in 196 B.C and later found in a small village in the Delta called Rosetta (Rashid) in 1799 has been deciphered. Egyptian hieroglyphics translated into our modern languages was awakened from its long slumber. Yet, the shorthand version of the Stone Maps enabling to understand them, have gone unnoticed to the modern translator. What then?

Perhaps the message the stones are trying to convey is, Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year!!!
buscar :D
Jan
Part Timer

Post by Jan »

Buscar,

I like your logic. Without diving too deeply into why at this time, (Since I am on a laptop via cell phone connection) I will offer you my simplified opinions of the stone maps, and some of the theories presented by a few of the major players in their legacy.

Although it has been suggested by many that the stone maps are highly encoded with exotic cryptic ciphers and such, that does not necessarily make it so!

In understanding and solving the stone maps I believe that person needs nothing more than a basic knowledge of astronomy, and an accurate translation of the meaning of the symbols used on the maps. I don’t mean to over simplify that because even though astronomy is an exact science, volumes upon volumes have been written on the translation of signs and symbols and everyone’s opinions are different and I personally do not know of any that have ever produced any results. They all say “Here is how you follow the trail to treasure” and they are all either still looking for it or went to their graves without finding it.

Although I fully respect the countless hours of painstaking research, field work and financial investments by individuals like Kenworthy and Robinson just to name a couple, I can only conclude that their conclusions lead you nowhere as far as finding any treasure or answering your question above “Why wouldn’t we be able to learn the codes and ciphers and then work out where x marks the spot?” I agree with you 100% that if it were a simple problem of solving codes and ciphers, the stone maps should have been solved long ago.

As was first pointed out by Jim Hatt in his book The Peralta Stone Maps, having all of the pieces of the stone map puzzle is a mandatory prerequisite. If as Jim suggests, the Latin Heart and Stone Crosses are legitimate pieces in the stone map set, that means that all of the brain power has been focused on the wrong stones for a long time.

Assuming first that the stone maps were not a part of some hoax (and I have considered the possibility that they were myself many times in the past and still do from time to time) how can it be explained that so many have failed to understand and correctly interpret them? If there is a reasonable explanation, it has to lie somewhere in Jim’s theory about how to use all the pieces of the puzzle with the main focus on his Latin Heart. Let me make it clear that I have not concluded that his theory is correct, but after attacking it from every angle, I still cannot dismiss it or find fault with it. I wish he would have provided more details about how he arrived at that theory, but I respect the idea that he is still searching for the mines or treasure himself and for that reason has selectively filtered the information he has decided to make public.

Break is over, Got to get back on the road again,

As Buscar said... Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year!!!

Jan

P.S.

My last few emails to Jim at the email address on the back of his book have gone unanswered. Maybe I was asking too many questions or my questions were too specific and he blocked me from his email, or he no longer uses this address? I hope I have not offended him. I know from past experience that he can be brutally blunt when encroached upon in matters concerning his activities in the mountains. If anyone is currently corresponding with him, (or Jim, if you monitor this forum), please let me know if the email address on the back of the book is still valid.

[email protected]
Roger
Part Timer

Sante Fe Marking on Horse Stone

Post by Roger »

Jan,

I posted about the Sante Fe marking on the Horse stone:

"If Santa Fe were actually on the left side of this stone map, the rivers are flowing East of there and would not even be in AZ. However, if the map is mirror reversed, Sante Fe now has the rivers to the West of it."

My statement was meant to say that if the map was not reversed and with the word "Sante Fe" being on the left side of stone, the marked rivers would be flowing to the East towards Texas.

Yes, the "Sante Fe" marking is physically on the left side of the Horse stone. If anyone gets a chance to see the actual (hopefully) Peralta Stone Maps at the Gem & Mineral Show in Phoenix, this marking can be confirmed.

Roger
Jan
Part Timer

Post by Jan »

Another pause for the cause… Fill up the gas tank and my stomach. It is unbelievable how much traffic there is on Highway 10 on Christmas Eve! Truck Stop restaurant has a waiting line to get a table. Doesn’t anyone stay home for Christmas any more? Or, is everyone trying to get home for Christmas like I am?

Roger,

Thanks for the clairfication. I have been wrong before, and I could be wrong again someday, but it will be a real revelation to me if it is there. I have carefully studied the edges of some of the reproductions looking for any information on them other than the well known word “Miguel” on the top of the priest map. I have yet to ever hear anyone suggest that there is even the slightest detail on the original stones that did not get reproduced on the reproductions. (with the exception of some very faint scratchings that may or may not have been intended markings) There is one possibility that we are both correct. You in your observation of the original stones and me in my observation of the reproductions. You of course would be more correct for “Originality”.

In the original set, the priest map and the horse map are back to back on the same stone. In the reproductions, they are separate stones, cast separately to allow for them to be hung on a wall displaying both sides of the same stone at the same time. Of the reproductions I have examined, the two parts of the priest/horse stone do not fit together forming a nice fitting edge when placed back to back. Almost like something is missing between them. Possibly there is a small section of the edge that was not reproduced on either of the two sides of the stone?

I am more anxious now than ever to see the originals at the Gem and Mineral show. Does anyone happen to know the actual thickness of the original priest/horse stone?

East bound and down………. with a long way to go, and a short time to get there!

Does Texas ever END?

Jan