Hidden mines uncovered.

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Scott
Part Timer

Hidden mines uncovered.

Post by Scott »

I am looking to gather information about the methods that were used to cover and hide mines in the Superstition area. I would assume several different ways to close or seal a mine.Would the Indians refill the whole tunnel?
I have been shown a filled mine and am trying to determine how to excavate. Does anyone have experence with ground pentrating radar units?

Thanks, Scott
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Hmmmmm....interesting post.

I am not quite sure if "Indians" (and I assume here you mean Apache) would try to completely fill a "tunnel". A pit or shaft might be a different
story. I imagine they would attempt to cover something like that up to the best of their ability.

Course, I'd be mighty careful trying to "excavate" a site if it was "Indian" related. One wouldn't want to end up digging a hole that might be difficult to climb out of...no pun intended...lol
Scott
Part Timer

Post by Scott »

Thanks Peter, We dont want to dig this area. I have some regard of the various laws and personal dangers involved.We would rather take an electronic look.The web is full of companies and products claims on abilities to see thru the ground. Does this procedure work in the "real" world of Arizona's mountains? This would be the place to put those GPR's to a test. This is not a pasture area in England ,LOl.
On a second note: Does anyone have any knowledge pretaining to the sisemic study that was done down peralta road in the mid seventys? I was in the area working claims to keep them active.The operators ran miles of wires and microphones and thumped the ground with a huge
weight that was dropped by a special truck.I Know !!!I should of asked and demanded the contractors name.
Tracy L Hawkins
Part Timer

Post by Tracy L Hawkins »

Scott
That activity along Peralta road was for oil---I was living on yhe Quarter Circle U at the time and and talked to the forman . Have no idea if they found anything
TLH
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Scott,

Problem here is that some folks might consider a GPR just as ominous
and threatening as a group of men with picks, shovels and high-powered rifles...

Something else you should be aware of. LDM hunters are not the only people who look at this forum. Folks that have other interests in the mountains also look in from time to time. I'd be might wary of expressing interest in doing things that might seem (no matter how innocent or well-intentioned) to encroach on their "areas of interest".

These folks also have friends that monitor the forum reguarly... and I number myself amongst them.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Threatening Post

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,
Some folks might consider your last post to be a little threatening. As you count yourself among the people who might find the various posts in this forum to "encroach on their 'areas of interest'", you have placed yourself in an awkward position. Since I use both a metal detector and a void detector in my own explorations, can I assume that you will be reporting this "ominous and threatening" activity to this seceret society?

If I must "be wary of expressing interest in doing things that might seem
(no matter how innocent or well-intentioned) to encroach on their [ownership implied] '"areas of interest''' and since you have identified yourself as a friend and possible agent of this seceret society, I feel the free expression on this forum has been compromised. Since this "area" has not been identified, the implied threat must be considered to encompass the entire Superstition Range. Considering your obvious inteligence, I am suprised that you have placed yourself in this portentous
position. I will, unfortunately, always take your warnings to heart in future posts, assuming I feel free to make any statements at all.
Joe :(
Knun
Part Timer

Post by Knun »

Maybe you'd like to elaborate on what "areas of interest" you are referring to. Or is that some grand secret worthy of a chosen few.

Since you chose this string of messages to point out that you monitor this forum for others with a alternate "area of interest" I must agree with Joe. I have only posted once but have enjoyed the incredible information shared here yet I now feel compelled to refain from posting anything of substance. Enjoy your "interests."
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Joe:

Happily, you havent the faintest idea about what I am alluding to.

Scott, on the other hand... I think... does.....and I am just trying to help in my own small way.

No need to fret or feel threatened.

Knun:

My apologies for offending you. But if my comments provoke thought and reflection and cause people to THINK about what they are doing before acting, then I will deem them well said...despite what you and others might think.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

weak replys

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,
I would guess that only a chosen few have "the faintest idea" of what you are "alluding to." If Scott has any idea, perhaps he will not play the same games that you do and enlighten the rest of us. I do not fret over idle or veiled threats. I do however keep them in mind for the future. Weak members of our society make these types of anonymous threats habitually. A prudent man would not dismiss them out of hand, by the same token, he should not let them affect his life to a great degree.
I have enjoyed our little verbal battles of the mind, but find your weak responce to my previous post troubling. The last statement in your 8:47 AM post would seem to clarify what you were alluding to, since only two groups would have the interest you speak of. We know which one of those two you are closely associated with and since you do not choose to name the group, you have left us to come to our own conclusions. Do not pretend to be innocent and misunderstood. You have placed yourself in that position by your frequent, vague and "ominous" allusions and anonymous threats to our well-being while in the Superstions. Your cavelier disdain for the opinion of Knun, myself and "others" which I must assume are the members of this forum, places you in a high position indeed, at least in your own mind.:x
It will be interesting to see how your friends who are members will defend you here, as I would prefer to be wrong, but I don't think I am. Perhaps some of your "friends" who "monitor" this forum will decide to chime-in.
Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Sun Dec 29, 2002 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knun
Part Timer

Post by Knun »

Scott,
I can only give you this advise on your "filled mine." Go there in time and place. Look at what you see at the site. How would you cover it? What tools would you have at the time you think it was filled? What type of mine is it? Why would you bother to cover it?? Answer these questions. What, when, why, how. Seems simplistic but the answers are the key. GPR is a great (expensive) tool for a very specific job just like a shovel. By the way "excavate" is a dirty word here.

Peter,
Sorry, but you didn't offend me with your post. Just that your stripes started to glow and I felt as though my opinion was appropriate. I just hope I didn't offend you by asking what your "area of interest" is.
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Joe:

No need for anyone to defend me. Few have a clue about what I am talking about. Those that do know my motives. I am not trying to win debate points here.

Knun:

No offense taken.