bluff springs nountain

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
don
Part Timer

bluff springs nountain

Post by don »

hi the so called hidden trail that winds its way up bluff springs mountain as described by sims ely and supposedly constructed by the peraltas to transport their gold. how much significance is there to that claim? was it a carefully constructed trail? or merely a trail? i assume that at least the trail exists and following on from that has anybody reached the top of that trail and then tried to discover where the trail carried on to?
also in gentrys book references were made to watchtowers carved into the rock .do these exist?and if so what is the explanation? im also intrigued as to sidney brinkerhoffs comments at the time regarding the groups findings.according to author he appeared to think that the mine had been found.not having the book at hand at this moment im not sure whether he was a noted historianor watever but apparently he was somebody of note.did he ever make a more detailed explanation of his thoughts-if indeed ihe ever had them.thanks
Tracy L Hawkins
Part Timer

Bluff springs mountain

Post by Tracy L Hawkins »

Don
My partner, Ernie Province and I were on top of Bluff Springs many times . The trail up the north end at one time was a wide trail and appearently wagons or carts went up it as wheel marks are in the rock at several points .
The stone "watch towers" are no more than stone walls at the side of the trail almost to the top . The trail goes across the top through a small "canyon" to the south bluff and appears to have gone down but was in such bad shape as to be impassable , at least with a horse, maybe on foot . We could find no trace of a mine or anything to indicate why anyone would have spent so much time and energy to build that trail. We used metal detectors and found nothing except the hilt of a US cavelry sword
Tracy
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Back in the Fray

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Tracy and Don,
Nice to see you both back in the fray. I missed the other side of the pond's sense of humour. I was thinking of calling you Tracy, thought something might be wrong. Were you on the trip to Chucks claim, when the drill steel was left in the trunk of the car? Ernie had a friend with him, but I have never been able to remember his name.
Just a little note on Bluff Spring Mountain. While searching another part of the mountains, we were camped in a remote saddle. An old, established
trail ran thru the canyon below us. Around three A.M. a white heliocopter
came up the canyon flying very low. He flew around Weaver's Needle and landed on the South end of Bluff Spring Mountain. He did not leave by the same canyon. A short time later he came back up the canyon again. We thought someone at home may have had an emergancy and they were looking for us. I lit the camp lantern. The pilot flew over and hovered above the camp for a short time, then flew around the Needle again, landing on Bluff Spring Mt. He made at least six trips up the canyon, always going around Weaver's Needle and landing in the same area.
Bluff Spring Mountain has been gone over like ants on an ant hill. A covered entrance is the only possibility. It would not be a mine for obvious reasons. It would be very difficult to hide signs of mining activity on the mountain. Even if your were able to dump the tailings over a cliff, it would be an unusual pile at the bottom. Is something stored on the mountain in a natural cave?That would be my bet. There is just such a story that fits that scenario.
Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

Bluff Spring Mtn. is an enigma. I agree. Why have a trail if not for a reason. A good reason. More than just to have a place to keep horses safe. There were lots of other places for that. Though I do doubt a mine was there, it is not beyond reason to assume a cache may have been hidden there. But, then again... there were lots of places to make a cache. Not just Bluff Springs Mountain.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Safe Haven

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

S.C.,
As usual, I have a rather strong opinion about Bluff Spring Mt. Having a fair knowledge of the habits and abilities of the Apache, I think the top of that mountain was the safest place in the range. I do believe they kept their animals there. It would be reasonable to think they would also eat and sleep there. How well would you sleep in some of the places which have been said to be mexican camps? Would you be secure knowing the Apache were all around you? They were adept at hiding behind clumps of brush, which they would hold in front of their bodies, or in a matter of seconds completely cover themselves with the thick grama grass and be virtually undetectable. They would throw a grey blanket over themselves and sprinkling a little dirt around, look like a boulder. They would twist their bodies to simulate a Joshua tree, while in such a forest, and be very hard to see until you were quite close. A safe-haven would have been a high priority for the Mexicans. Since the animals would be used daily, hauling ore from the mines to the arrastras and then to the place of storage, as well as being ridden by the Peraltas, a trail to the top would have been well worn. That is not to say the trail had not been there for centurys, long before the Spaniards arrived in the Americas. If some of the speculation we are hearing, hints at the LDM being on Bluff Spring Mt., you would need to throw out a lot of the accepted clues as to it's location. Is there a cache on the mountain? Maybe, but despite my previous story, I am not ready to go looking.
Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Don, I think the trail you're talking about is the one up the south end of the mountain. Carlson's book describes it well. I've only been up it once but it didn't look particularly like it had seen heavy ore-cart travel or anything - just a route up the mountain. It peters out pretty quickly when you reach the top, but the going is pretty easy from that point so it doesn't matter.

Tracy, you're talking about the walls along the north route up Bluff Springs Canyon, but I think Don is referring to the carved-out "watch towers" that Gentry said were next to Magill's mine site, which was supposedly on the west side of the mountain. I've always wondered about those too. Jack Carlson says the Green Suits have "restored" Magill's site, so there's nothing to see there now, so it could be tough to find the guard stations. Joe and Tracy, you've been up there a lot - did you see Magill's site?

Joe: When was the helicopter incident? As long ago as the sixties? Could that have been Magill's people bringing in supplies?
S.C.
Part Timer

Reply to Wiz

Post by S.C. »

Thanks for mentioning that, Wiz. I was also wondering about Magill's Guard Stations near the "tunnel" he found. I believe they are not the items mentioned on the north side of the mountain. To my knowledge I do not think anyone has ever found Magill's tunnel or the "Guard Stations." I believe I have read the pit was seen by some - but the "service" has destroyed that now, of course.... making it imposible to locate unless you already knew where it once was.

I wonder if anyone here on this forum ever saw them. It would have had to be a long time ago, though. I bet there is nothing left.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Night Visitors on the Bluff

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wiz,
Four years ago. Glen Magill was a faint memory to the mountains. He mentioned my uncle's group in his book. They were the seven guns on Black Top. I would not waste any time looking on Bluff Spring Mountain for the LDM.
Joe
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

Ahhh... Your uncle's group was the "Seven Guns..." Interesting.

I agree, there is no LDM on Bluff Springs. Maybe a cache. But no LDM.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Wow! Everything relates to everything else, doesn't it? Only four years: I wonder who they were, then?

Maybe no LDM on Bluff Springs Mtn, but it sure is pretty up there. Great view, too. And, I don't consider it a waste of time to search anywhere out there, because A: I might just find something! and B: If I don't, so what! I just love being out there.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The View

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wiz,
I knew when I wrote that post, that the responce would come pretty quick.
I agree completely about the trips being worth the view. My team has always said they would go just for the views. We usually end up at the highest point in the search area. Having a purpose beyond the view, just makes it better.

S.C.,
You are, of course in my opinion, correct concerning Bluff Spring Mt.
I hope I was able to give you a good idea on the Apache rock signals. It may give everyone a different perspective on the Deering monuments found thruout the mountains.
Joe
S.C.
Part Timer

Helicopter

Post by S.C. »

It is so hard to say who was using that helicopter. There are so many people who come and go - and some have money to burn. If it would have occured a little further back in time, I would have offered that it might have been one of Richard Peck's expeditions. I hear Peck went "first class" and would have steaks and ice helicoptered in every day for his crew.

Last time I went in I ate Pop-Tarts and pretzels (no kidding...). But, they were the best Pop-Tarts and pretzels I ever ate. There are some things money cannot buy.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Eats

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

S.C.,
I always cook gourmet for my team. Our last day we have 1-1/2-inch thick T-bone steaks. Fresh strawberry short cake with whipped cream is on the menu every year. Shrimp with fresh veggies sauted in my custom blend olive oil, over angel hair pasta and so on. Ron always rolls his eyes when he sees the pile he must pack in for us. We sleep on Aero beds. Makes it a little easier for us old folks, after climbing all day.
Joe
don
Part Timer

bluff springs mountain

Post by don »

hi again.ive read wthe replies with interest. i am merely following this legend from the other side of the atlantic and have never visited the superstitions let alone actively searched in the mountains.whereas all of you have and are obviously better qualified to comment etc.i just wondered why it seems that bluff springs mt is disregarded as the possible location of said mine.i doubt whether (imho) any group of miners peraltas orotherwise would go to the bother of constructing a trail up a mountain with all the laborious and time consuming work involved to transport gold from some nearby or distant mine to the top of a mountain to safe guard it.if the trail had allready been constructed decades before by some other group ok but thats not how i understand the story.i realise that bluff springs mt has been searcghed again and again and nothing found but surely you could say the same about any number of areas in the mts.now im not trying to suggest that the mine is there (im not even certain it exists) but it seems to me at least from the tales books etc that blff spngs mt plays an integral part in the legend( then again maybe im nuts lol) and by the way i think my last question was missed or glossed over. did sidney brinkerhoff ever elaborate on his opinions on why he thought maguill had discovered the mine?
S.C.
Part Timer

Reply to Don

Post by S.C. »

don,

If he is the person I think you are referring to - I too do not have the book in front of me - I do not think he positively said Magill "found the mine." I think his comments were something like "it appears that this place fit the clues..." It was not an endorsment or a declaration. The clues were very vague that he used as a point of comparison. North of Weavers Needle. West side of a mountain where the setting sun could shine into the "mine." South of the Three Red Hills (if you pass the Three Red Hills, you've gone too far...). The "Military Trail" below. And the description of the mine itself - a pit. That is it. Anyone could have said "it fits the clues..." I do not think that gentleman meant any more than that. It was a diplomatic way of saying to the press - in front of the discoverer - that the site looked interesting but he would not make a commitment.
Last edited by S.C. on Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Trails

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Don,
Most trails in mountains, as well as other places, start out as game trails. When man comes into the area, he uses these same game trails. Over the centuries they become well worn. On occasion these trails become roads and even highways. No construction was required on the trail going up the side of Bluff Spring Mt.
Bluff Spring Mountain is a large area. It's boundries however, are sharply defined and limited. Searching such a place, while not easy, can be done with enough time. Many Dutch Hunters have, over the years, given this mountain a lot of time. It should not be discounted completely, but consideration should be given to the many ghosts who's footsteps you would be following in. I have always believed, the less ghosts, the higher the chances of finding a mine, treasure or cache.
Joe
Tracy L Hawkins
Part Timer

Bluff Springs Mtn

Post by Tracy L Hawkins »

Whooo boy !! this topic has brought the troops out of the woods .
At the time McGill was digging on Bluff Speings, Dale Howard had a claim on the south end of Black Top . McGill was digging on a shelf about a hundred feet below the top and roughly the center of the north/soutn face. Dale and I were invited to their diggins once . At that time they had a pit about 25 feet deep and a pile of logs they said had been removed from it . I saw no "guard posts " at that time , maybe they were built later ??
Wiz The trail I am talking sbout did have some places that had been wore into the stone that could only have been cart wheels .

McGill had a helicopter flying in supplys , he had chartered in from Sun Aviation at Falcon Field , The time is wrong for it to have been the one Joe saw,

I have to laugh at the "seven gunsals on black top " I was among them I suppose .

As to a cache on Bluff Springs refer to the cave of gold bars . As I remember and as what few notes I have left ---Bradys "find" was about half way to the topon the west side ( as I understand it --almost below McGill's diggings )and in a narrow,bush choked crack in the wall. He claimed the opening had been closed with rocks and some had fallen out revieling the opening . Does this fit with what you rember from Chuck Joe ???
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Bluff Spr. mountain is a very good natural fortress, the best anywhere around. Sheer cliffs all around except for a couple of defensible access points. As was pointed out earlier, it would look mighty good if you were constantly in fear of Apache attack. Maybe good enough to transport gold for processing and animals for corraling.

People tend to discount the area because of what is generally considered unfavorable geology in the area, I think.

One thing to think about is that Magill was still actively searching the area when Gentry wrote his book. There's really no reason to assume that the indicated spot on the west side of the mountain is actually where his mine was located. Once the cat was out of the bag, he couldn't very well deny it was Bluff Spring, but maybe not that partcular area. As I think Joe said, it's a big mountain. Maybe Tracy is right about the guard stations being the walls on the north end.

Joe:
Can I join your crew? I'm hungry just reading your post!
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Gold Storage

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wiz,
I think the last thing the Peralta's required was a secure place to hide their gold. No one in the mountains at that time had any interest in gold, except for themselves. If it was in a cave, they could conceal the entrance from a lone prospector. Not much danger for the gold. An Apache on your ass, on the other hand, was something to be worried about. I think the cave of gold bars would be a good guess for the Peralta's gold storage.
My Uncle Chuck told me never to trust someone named Wiz, or anyone who gave you a fictitious name. On the other hand, he thought you should always bet on a horse named Wiz. You will just have to imagine the repast you will miss. :lol:
Joe
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

I didn't mean to hide the gold. I meant a good place to bring the ore so it could be cobbled down in relative safety. I don't think they were so worried about hiding it.

How do you know "Wiz" isn't my real name? Wiz Jones? Elmo Wiz?
John Jacob Jingleheimer Wiz?
don
Part Timer

bluff springs

Post by don »

just a thought-bearing in mind that most of the books published are pure essence of b.s none the less for that i assume magill found something there were too many people around whpo agreed he found "something". now if we assume fer the sake of the argument that this "something" was a "pit" and that it had been filled in etc and that wjhen it was excavated as magill/gentry claim and was discovered to be a worn out mine-then maybe it was. and maybe it was the lost dutchman.because everybody seems to see the "dutchman" as a vast source of gold((richest mine in the world etc). when allowing for the inevitable exaggeration that has no doubt taken place over the years-maybe in truth the "dutchman" is or was just a small deposit of gold which was soon exhausted.its possible innit?of course if it is the case well never know cos we still be looking fer the big one---wont we? hmmmmmm im thinking now whether i should delete this lol :roll:
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Misunderstood

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

How do you know "Wiz" isn't my real name? Wiz Jones? Elmo Wiz?
John Jacob Jingleheimer Wiz?[/quote]

Wiz,
I am so often misunderstood. :cry: I didn't say your name was not Wiz. You need to re-read my post.
I could be wrong about them bringing ore to Bluff Spring Mt. My main reason was the lack of any ore being found on the mountain. If the Peraltas worked the ore up there, you would find the evidence in abundance.
Wiz Jones? The long lost son of Indiana, I presume. :lol:

By the way, not one comment on my Four Peaks reply. Is there not one person out there, who knows the names, or locations of the Four Peaks? I would like to be enlightened on this subject, if possible. I admit I could be wrong, so lets hear the facts. Those in the know, should not have to research an answer.

Tracy,
Chuck went over the area you mention at some length. I don't know for sure if he ever got off of Joe. I doubt he did much looking on foot. It fits the story, but not my heliocopter story. Kinda close though. Perhaps to close for coincidence. There is a published story, that is believed by the author, of a man flying in and leaving with gold on a yearly basis. I am sure you are all familiar with that tale.
What trail do you think the Peraltas use to get those carts or wagons to the trail going up Bluff Spring Mountain?

Don,
I don't believe for a minute, that Jacob Waltz filled in his mine. I know it is the popular theory, but it makes zero sense. Consider the time and effort required to do this work. Now consider the time, effort and equipment that Magill used to uncover the pit. Waltz would not have done this to himself, or for that matter, by himself. One of those stories that stretches-MY-credulity a mite. I am also quite sure this comment will bring swift, merciless and relentless response.
Of course, this is all rank speculation, without any supporting evidence, so I could be wrong.

Ron,
Please show Don some mercy, and fix the name of this topic.

Joe
S.C.
Part Timer

Reply...

Post by S.C. »

Uhhh... Four Peaks is Four Peaks. You know... north of the Superstitions. The mountain with Four Peaks you can see for miles and miles. One that can appear to have one peak from certain angles in the mountains....

I think the "four peaks appear as one" to be a good clue. But, that is if one puts faith into Brownie Holmes. Because that is where that clue comes from.

That is my interpretation....

But, I think Joe has an interesting one as well.

I second Wiz's comments about the food... Are you tempting people on purpose?
nicoh
Greenhorn

Post by nicoh »

Right S.C.!
I can't believe anyone back then (or now) would have referred to the smattering of buttes and hillcrests Four Peaks, when THE Four Peaks are so prominent. Granted, Weaver's and Miner's Needles might qualify as peaks, but good luck getting these two to line up very nicely with anything else!
Besides, there's at lease one authoritative camp that thinks the mine is pretty far East in the Sups---where, incidently, the Four Peaks are always "as one."
Thought for food.
n
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Four Peaks

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

S.C. and nicoh,
So by now it must be pretty obvious I have never tried to place the Four Peaks I have seen, on a topo. Still can't place them. What I have shows Brown's Peak as located farthest North. I have seen the mountain refered to as Four Peaks Mountain, but not on any map. I always heard they line up in the Eastern part of the range, so I never paid much attention to that clue.
Joe