Dale Howard

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Dale Howard

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Dale told me the following story:
Prior to WW2, Dale and a friend were prospecting the area of Black Top Mountain. They were working there way around the South end about half way up the mountain. Dale lost his footing and grabbed a large boulder. The boulder moved away from the mountain and he fell to the ground. They were suprised to find that the boulder was hinged in some way and opened and closed with ease. It concealed a cave. They did not have a flashlight, so they bundled some dry brush together and lit it. As they entered the cave the fire would not stay lit due to a tremendous air current coming into the entrance. They surmised that it had another opening farther up. A small pile of ore lay in the entrance. They removed the ore and pushed the boulder back into it's original position. At this time they were fairly excited, as you might imagine. They decided to make a map.
After they had drawn the map, they did a dangerous thing. They begain to think. In fear that someone might gain possesion of the map, or copy it, they decided to reverse and change some of the directions. Only the two of them would be able to restore the information needed to locate the entrance. I am sure you can all see this coming. They went home to Northern California, and had the ore assayed. Of course it was very rich gold ore. They made plans to return. WW2....... When the two friends returned from doing there duty, they put their lives and family back together. Jobs, kids, wives and the wounds of war put off there return to the mountains. One of them moved, I think Dale, and they drifted thru the years, always saying they must return to the cave.
At last they made concrete plans to meet in Apache Junction and return to Black Top Mountain. Dale arrived and waited for his friend to show up. He never did. Turns out he had a heart attack and died. Dale eventually made his own trip in. Once on Black Top he got out his map and started looking for the entrance. It had been fifteen or twenty years and Dale had no idea what they had changed on the map. He spent many years blowing up the South side of Black Top at the approximate elivation he thought was correct. He never found the entrance. I heard that Dale's wife shot and killed him. Anyone know if thats true?
S.C.
Part Timer

Howard and Lewings

Post by S.C. »

Joe,

You have mentioned Dale Howard and Chuck Lewings several times. In particular in the Ruth Killing topic. I have not heard of Howard before until you made your posting here about his discovery. I have heard similiar stories about many different people finding stashed gold of some kind in the mountains in various spots. Black Top is as good as any place for someone to cache something - especially if one considers that there could indeed have been a large Mexican mining camp in Marsh Valley. Same with Bluff Springs. Those two mountains have really been gone over. So, if something is there - it is REALLY hidden well.

Joe, could you illuminate us on Chuck Lewings? Maybe you discussed him before. But, I cannot remember if you did. Was he a partner of Howard? Or with one of your uncles?

S.C.
Ron
Part Timer

Dale Howard

Post by Ron »

S.C.

I guess I should jump in here, to answer something on Chuck Lewing. So I'll tell of my personal experiences with him. I first met him while working with Crazy Jake, about 1966. He was also with Jake, and when I arrived he had just shot himself in the leg by accident and had to be taken out of the moutains. He believed strongly in the LDM being on Peters. After many years he appeared at my place and asked if Jake was still out there. Answering positively, he went into the mountains to what he said "dig up the mine." He was recieved at Jake's by a wetback that Jake had out there , They had a gunfight and Chuck was killed. His body was concealed for 8 days , when Jake finally told authorities about it. The Wetback was cleared in self defense. Chuck was obsessed with Peter's at least at that time./
Ron
Part Timer

Dale Howard

Post by Ron »

S.C.

I guess I should jump in here, to answer something on Chuck Lewing. So I'll tell of my personal experiences with him. I first met him while working with Crazy Jake, about 1966. He was also with Jake, and when I arrived he had just shot himself in the leg by accident and had to be taken out of the moutains. He believed strongly in the LDM being on Peters. After many years he appeared at my place and asked if Jake was still out there. Answering positively, he went into the mountains to what he said "dig up the mine." He was recieved at Jake's by a wetback that Jake had out there , They had a gunfight and Chuck was killed. His body was concealed for 8 days , when Jake finally told authorities about it. The Wetback was cleared in self defense. Chuck was obsessed with Peter's at least at that time./
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

Deleted.
Last edited by LDM on Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
S.C.
Part Timer

Thanks

Post by S.C. »

Thanks for the information. It is a sad commentary indeed.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Dale Howard

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

My, My,
What an amazing responce. I used Chuck Lewing as a comparison to Ruth for importance in finding the LDM because I did not think many would know who he was. What I really expected to hear was, who the hell is Chuck Lewing? I should have known better.
You guys cease to amaze me. Chucks contribution to information for finding the LDM is on the same par as Ruth, if you discount his notes, Ruth just becomes another guy, who searched, died in the Supes and found nothing. Both men did leave us with a sad knowledge of what to expect from the Superstitions if you get to confident........
The Peralta map we accept as the one he was carrying, is easy to read, as to location. Seems like someone should have located the mine on that map by now. Dale left us with a wild story, and no real information. On the other hand, he had the best ride in the mountains, half Quarter Horse, half Tenn. Walker.
Tracy L Hawkins
Part Timer

Dale Howard

Post by Tracy L Hawkins »

Joe
Dale died of lung cancer in 72 as I remember --His wife was killed in an auto accident '
I have been having trouble logging on this panel --hope this takes care of it as I have several comments on your post about Harry France and his cave of gold bars
Tracy Hawkins
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Dale Howard

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Tracy,
I was really glad to receive your e-mail. Chuck told me the story on the cave of gold bars many years ago. I did not remember the name, but the story of Harry France and his cave fit well. It would be a good thing if you were to relate the true story of the cave of gold bars in the forum. I have now been guilty of mucking up a good story, please set it straight. I don't know if I ever met you or not. Chuck mentioned your name often thru the years. Do you know what has become of Ernie Provence? I look forward to seeing your input in this forum. Are you still a Dutch Hunter?
I come to Phoenix occaisionally and would like to meet you. If you get up to Lake Havasu, call me. I would also like to get in touch with Terry Cooperider, if you know of him. I am interested in getting copies of any pictures of Chuck you might have. Some of the information I have put in the forum would likely be added to by your input, or corrected. It's hell to get old.
Joe Ribaudo