Ruth Killing

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Ruth Killing

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Any opinions out there as to where Ruth was killed? Besides Black Top!
Did he find the mine? If so, did the men who killed him also locate the mine? I think he had information, not written, but necessary to locate the Dutchmans Mine and that it died with him.....Or did it?
S.C.
Part Timer

Ruth

Post by S.C. »

It is hard to say where Adolph Ruth could have died. It might actually have been where his remains were found. However, if that was the case, he would have had to have help getting there. Considering Ruth's condition and age, it is extremely UNLIKELY that he could have made it from his camp to that spot where his remains were found. It would have been just too much for him. What is not known is the extent of how bad Ruth's leg was. According to Milton Rose who saw Ruth before he went in, Ruth had a cumbersome brace that he wore. That would have made a long hike very very difficult. Yes... He could have help getting there. But that raises many questions about who and why... There are theories that Ruth died (or was killed) somewhere else and brought to that spot. Such theories are just as plausable as him walking on his own to Black Top. So, it is hard to say where it happened. And how... Foul play or natural causes? Ron has an idea of where this might have happened as he indicated in his book "Crooked Mountain" based on information from Ted Cox. Then, there is the Barkley - Gassler story where Ruth somehow made it (or was taken) to Peters Mesa and died there. According to Gassler, Barkley admitted to having moved the body out of the area to Black Top. Why? Because he did not want his cattle grazing in the Peters Mesa area disturbed...

I think the pieces don't add up. So, it is hard to say what really happened. This forum (and its older version...) has seen much debate about the Ruth incident. There is just as much controvesry regarding Ruth as there is regarding whether there really is a LDM...
S.C.
Part Timer

More Ruth

Post by S.C. »

A couple of more thoughts...

There has also been a lot of speculation regarding Ruth and "secret" information he supposedly possessed above and beyond the map (or maps) he took in with him. This, I believe, has its origins in two sources. One is Barry Storm's belief that Ruth had secret information (or instructions) and "popularized" this notion within his various "Thunder Gods Gold" books. This was based upon his belief that the map Ruth used originally had instructions on the "top" portion of the map and that it was torn off - thus being memorized by Ruth... He believed this because people who supposedly "saw" Ruth's map indicated it looked like something on the top was torn off. This goes back to hear-say upon hear-say. Can one believe such information.. and then formulate a theory that in turn developed a train of thought??? Probably not. The SECOND source possibly supporting the notion that Ruth had "secret" information probably was the "note" found on his remains - the famous "it lies within an imaginary circle whose... etc. etc...." note. As we know now, those were nothing more than passages from the 1895 PC Bicknell "San Francisco Chronicle" article about the LDM. No secret there. But the existence of the note no doubt caused much speculation.

However, the most compelling reason why Ruth probably had no additional information other than mainstream newspaper accounts is Erwin Ruth. At no time did he ever indicate (or offer to other Dutch Hunters) any additional information - nor did he ever claim his father had anything else other than the map (maps?) obtained from the Gonzales family. If one was familiar with Erwin Ruth's character - especially regarding the LDM - one would know if he did possess such information he would have long ago had "auctioned it off" so to speak. He was involved in various activities related to the LDM up into the 1960s. Had he or his father such info, we'd know about it now....
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Ruth Death

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

It's always interesting that we follow second, third and worse, stories as if
they were real evidence of what happened. Because we have nothing of substance we tend to make a simple solution into a maze. I agree Ruth did not walk out of West Boulder Canyon. It seems his own physical condition is really the best indication of where he last walked. Do you have a hunch of your own as to what happened?
Are you an armchair Dutch hunter or do you get into the mountains? Do you have an area that you stick to or check out the whole range. My Uncle, Chuck Ribaudo, had a claim on Black Top. He was a partner of Lake Erie Schafer, as well as the other signers on the Fish Map. Prior to hooking up with them, Chuck had worked out the location of his claim using only the Storm information. that was around fourty years ago. My mothers maiden name was Stoker, as in Obie Stoker who was her uncle. He and his wife Olive claimed to have found the Lost Dutchman before WW2. His claim was at Second Water. It was called the Question Mark Mine. As you can see I have the LDM in my blood, both sides of my family and neither Chuck or Obie knew of the other until around 25-30 years ago.
I worked out the Stone Maps conclusion a number of years ago. Without a doubt some of it is a hoax. My best guess would be Chuck Aylor for the horse map. As usual it's possible some of the information is legit. I don't put any trust in the priest map either. As for the trail maps, I will know the answer to that soon. I only trust the clues I know to be reliable. They exist but most people would rather belive the tall tales that are so plentiful. As I read the Forum it's obvious that most of the members are into the writers versions. Not one of the authors has found the mine/cache
and few of the members are searching fresh ground.
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

I find the notion that Adolph was killed on Peters Mesa, his body found there and then moved by Tex Barkley far-fetched. Heres why:

The entire fabric of this tale comes from one man: Walt Gassler. Walt searched the Peters Mesa area for many many years without turning up any ore (unless you beleive the "ore in the knapsack story" during Walt's last hike in) or any other evidence of a hidden mine for that matter. Much truck has been put into the tale of Walt's geologist friend saying there might be signs of mineralization near the head of Pistol Canyon...but I wonder now if that too was another mountain "tale".

Back to the Ruth/Barkley/Peters Mesa connection.

Walt tells us that Tex Barkley reveiled that Tex was able to track Adolph's movements by following the imprint of Ruths cane in the earth (it had rained the night before) from his camp in West Boulder Canyon up to Peters Mesa. Hello?? Is anyone out there with the ability to think logically?
Just how did a crippled old man with a brace on his leg hike up to Peters Mesa from his camp in West Boulder?

I wonder if many of Walts other facts were somehow garbled in the translation. One must remember that he was an old man when he put pen to paper and perhaps got some of his information wrong....

Much of the Ruth episode defies logic and doesnt make sense. The Peters Mesa locale particuarly.....
S.C.
Part Timer

Ruth and Peters Mesa...

Post by S.C. »

Well, this Ruth topic seems to always surface and it boils down to the same thing: we do not know for sure what happened. All scenarios lack supporting evidence. We debate this back and forth and never come to an agreement. I can only say that I lean away from the "natural cause/accident" school of thought. This is because there are so many missing pieces and things that do not fit. However, I still do not believe in the wild tales circulating. One of which is the Peter's Mesa story as told by Gassler.

I have to agree with Peter to a point. If Ruth couldn't make it to Black Top with a bum leg, how could he make it to Peters Mesa? Only one way. He had help. But, then what of the cane marks? Hmmm... Now, DID IT rain the night before? Did it??? The first week of June? That is a good question. It is possible someone could have taken him there. But then what of Barkley "trailing" the cane marks? If there were no marks, then how could Barkley have found Ruth? Did he just stumble upon him up there or what? Something ain't right here...

I can somewhat believe that Barkley told that story to Gassler. But, was it just a tall-tale to get Gassler interested in Peters Mesa - the area Barkley himself believed the LDM to be? Then again, maybe not. But if Barkely did find Ruth's body up there (and even if he did move it because of his cattle) it still makes one wonder how he stumbled on it there of all places.....

We'll just never know...

This goes back to the area as a whole. Peter points out nothing significant was found there by Gassler nor anyone else. That is true - except maybe some residual things indcating possible pre-Anglo or Indian occupation -as is found in many places through-out the Superstitions which in themselves indicate nothing.

Do not get me wrong. I believe there might be a LDM. But, if it exists, I think it is somewhere that no one has searched before. I love the mountains and all the history and lore. But one must be level headed about things. Let's just say I prefer to seek the history of the story as opposed to spending time kicking around Black Top Mesa, Bluff Springs, Upper LaBarge Box, or Peters Mesa searching for a treasure that ain't in those places. That is not saying I consider myself an "arm-chair" enthusiast. I have been in the mountains and love to be there. But I will not waste my time searching in areas that scores - if not thousands - of people have already searched and turned up nothing.

Regarding Ruth... his information was worthless. Even if even one of his maps were authentic (and not a con-job by the Gonzales family) any map in and of itself is insufficinet to get one to a specific place on the ground. Sad to say, he had a snowball's chance in h_ll of finding anything. At least, that is my feeling. It is a shame he and others have been injured or lost their lives for such trival clues.
Wiz
Expert

Re: Ruth Death

Post by Wiz »

Joe Ribaudo wrote:As I read the Forum it's obvious that most of the members are into the writers versions. Not one of the authors has found the mine/cache and few of the members are searching fresh ground.
Well, let's be fair, Joe. You obviously have a connection that few others have. We'd all like to have old-timer Dutch hunters in the family. Also, a good many of the people on this forum live out of state. This limits their access options.
As far as I know, NOBODY has found the mine, very few people have found caches, and there really isn't any fresh ground unless you leave the wilderness. In that case, of course, all bets are off as to whether what you find is the LDM or something else.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Fresh Ground

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wiz properly points out my soft? approach and heavy handed opinion. Most hunters are not going to give any clues as to the conclusions they have reached, unless they are re-stating commonly known statements by others. Since most Dutch Hunters are slightly obssesed by the subject, they read every book ever written on the LDM. Any forum based on that written information will quickly loose interest for most participants. Ever compare the number of members to the number of postings? Glover's book is a great example of how to stir up the mental dust. New approach, new information, new conclusions, same results.....
My family did feed the flames of my interest in this subject, especially my Uncle Chuck, but they had no influence on my conclusions. Chuck's claim was on the South East side of Black Top and Uncle Obies was close to Second Water Spring. Chuck I considered a mental giant and Obie was a bit of a mental case. Both knew the history of the Superstitions as well as
a huge amount of unwritten history. Both could make you a believer in their conclusions. Their enthusiasim for the subject is the only contribution they made to my conclusions. I would love to hear from anyone who ever had any contact with either of them.
S.C.
Part Timer

New ground

Post by S.C. »

Joe,

I must say I am extremely interested in anything more you might want to share about your two uncles. I am especially interested in your Uncle Chuck's involvement with Lake Erie Schafer and that group. You certainly are bring a fresh breeze to the forum. We do tend to get stuck into ruts and keep visiting the same ground.

I have to say that we are guilty of running the same old known facts into the ground. We all have our secrets. ;) And most of us don't necessarily want to talk about some of the things we know or things we have deduced. Thus, by default, as you indicated, the discussions ususally degenerate to stuff appearing in published literature. If you have seen some of the old posting you can even see cases where two parties have spared back and forth - each knowing what the other knows - trying to see who will "blink first" and "admit to" or "divulge" something on the forum. No one ever does, though....
Ron
Part Timer

Ruth killing

Post by Ron »

S.C.

And that what you say is all part of Dutchman Hunting; that is each not divulging secrets, not blinking first, etc. I always said that if everyone did feed their secret information into a computer or somehow put everyone's secrets together you might be able to find the mine, but in reality even if it were done, I don't think anyone would be any closer to the mine. You see it is this information that we as individuals own and some of us have had to pay dearly for in many ways. So my hat is off to all of you that have shared some of that with us all, and I don't say that anything that anybody wants to share is useless. All one has to do is go back and review some of the information that has been written in the past on the site. Keep your ears open , because sometime or another , some where, something may well be said, or written about that may lead you to the mine, and if that would happen , then what would we as Dutchman Hunters have to share?
S.C.
Part Timer

Being a Dutch Hunter...

Post by S.C. »

Ron,

What you say is true. It is all part of being a Dutch Hunter.

I have also played that game called "Dutchman Poker" many times... If you show me something, I'll show you something...

However, despite everything, as a whole this forum (and it's older version...) has really presented a lot of information. Though, it may seem at times it degenerates to what's in the standard literature. However, at times, if you keep you eyes open as you say, there will be a "gem" here and there...
nicoh
Greenhorn

Post by nicoh »

Since the topic subject here is "Ruth Killing," I thought I'd repeat a question I'd asked a while back but heard no response. We've all seen the pictures of Ruth's skull with the big hole in the cranium, but has anyone actually seen other angles of the skull? That is, the hole I would assume (according to the "Ruth conspiracy theory") is an exit wound. So. Has anyone seen an entrance wound?
n
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

just a couple of thoughts. isnt it true that mountain lions and like animals have a tendency to drag their prey several miles to devour . if so doesnt this make the final location of ruths remains useless or meaningless when used to ascertain how a 66/76 yr old man (deopending on what source you read) seemingly hike through such rough country etc?
as regarding corbins new book that in some quarters seems to be hailed as the lost dutchman mine hunters new testament.id like to say first that i havent read it lol but having read her previous"masterpiece" the curse of the dutchmans gold- my impression is that she makes sensational statements that cannot be verified and then goes on to portray these offerings as fact. one obvious case is the previously "authentic" photo of jacob waltz but there are many others.not least her moronic belief that indians never lied lol. i rest my case and thanks for listening
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Ruth Killing

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

I have my doubts concerning any mountain lion dragging a full grown man a few miles. If you consider the terrain, it's more likely that Ruth could have walked that far then be dragged, and that's close to impossible.
Normally wild animals will only move the body enough to get to all the parts. Other then his head, the bones show that is what happened.
The story that he was trailed by the marks his cane made, because it had rained the previous day, is ludicrous. Wherever that story actually originated would put the person who told it on my questionable list.
S.C.
Part Timer

Mountian Lions...

Post by S.C. »

don,

Ms. Corbin book does presents new information but I think many do not find it the "new testament" as described. Like all works about the LDM, I am sure many can find flaws in it.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

don wrote: as regarding corbins new book... she makes sensational statements that cannot be verified and then goes on to portray these offerings as fact. one obvious case is the previously "authentic" photo of jacob waltz but there are many others.not least her moronic belief that indians never lied lol.
Bingo! The new book has ANOTHER authentic picture of Waltz sitting in the ice cream parlor. Jeez!
Hey! The emoticons don't seem to be working.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

nicoh wrote:...has anyone actually seen other angles of the skull?
No, and that's a good point. All we ever see is that one hole.
don
Part Timer

corbins books

Post by don »

sc i take your point aboyut all dutchman works having flaws- and maybe im a bit cynical but some of the observationa and conclusions corbin comes to in her first work(and without any confirmation or evidence save for her own statements) make me very very dubious about any of her conclusions.i think one contrived or plainly bogus statement in any book renders the rest of the writers conclusions very doubtful. i prefer the honest author(if there are any lol) one who sticks to the facts -the alternatives are ridicolous.
as for joses remarks about the unliklihood of mountain lion dragging a body that distance ill accept i know little or nothing about lions habits so ill accept that comment gracefully. thanks
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

hope im not boring everybody lol but heres another couple of thoughts regarding ruth.
how did people come to the conclusion that keenan and purnell had no connection with ruths death because they were away joyriding at the time of ruths death? surely no one knows the date when ruth died? its only known when ruth was last seen and the time when his body was found -which was a considerable period of time . its assumed he died between 15 th 17 thof that month? but thats conjecture surely. the same goes for barkleys non connection with ruths demise also.or is my logic amiss lol.
also the ruth letter to his wife dated somewhat conveniently. could it have been falsified by his murderers if indeed he was murdered.and why on earth write a letter ? was there a postal service to and from weavers needle?(my little joke).wouldnt it have made more sense to write wen he got back to civilisation?hmmmm
and thanks wiz a NEW *authentic* photo of waltz in corbins book? gee i guess thats even more reason not to buy it.
S.C.
Part Timer

Ruth...

Post by S.C. »

don,

You bring up many interesting points.

All I can say about that letter was that Erwin Ruth saw it. And had no problem with it. He indicated that was the typical habit of his father. That he wrote letters while traveling where ever he was and then would mail them later. Keep in mind Erwin was ultra-suspicious of things - so, if he did not have an issue with the letter then we should keep that in mind.
nicoh
Greenhorn

Post by nicoh »

Okay. Call me naive, but I'm not sure my question is or isn't being intentionally blown off. So far, Wiz is the only person who's even called attention to my question. So I'll ask a third time.
Has anyone SEEN the skull from another angle? If not, or if everyone's keeping mum, does anyone know where the skull itself is sitting right now?
Did Erwin bury it? Is it in someone's private collection? It sure ain't in any public collection, where I think it would do a tremendous service to all of us.
I don't mean to be a thorn here, but since the theme of the past few strings has been burden of proof... Any illumination on the skull will nail down some questions that many of us have.
If no one comes forth, here, I'll chalk it up to conspiracy. THEN I'll be a real thorn! LOL
n
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

OK, I'll jump in. I have no idea where it is, and I've never seen any picture other than the one angle.
S.C.
Part Timer

Skull

Post by S.C. »

Nope. Not me either. I have never seen anything other than the one side. And I have no idea where the skull is now. I would suppose it was buried with the rest of Ruth's remians.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

If we only had 9 tana leaves we could bring Adolph back to life and ask him what happened.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Ruth Killing

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

If we could see the other side of Ruths skull and did not find an entry wound, it would not mean the exit wound is not caused by being shot in the head. There are many places for a bullit to enter the head without leaving damage to the skull.