Crazy Jake

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
zentull
Expert

Crazy Jake

Post by zentull »

I was also curious about a Prospector I ran into frequently coming up from Bluff Springs while I was coming up around to Geronimos cave on the way to Fremonts saddle. He was an older gentleman with gray hair and thick beard. He was propably from 5'6 to 5'10 but walked stooped over. He never had any burros but wore a very large pack. Not ecspecially friendly and carried a sidearm as wellas a rifle openly. I exchanged canned goods several times with him ,but had few words. He smelt some awful always as well. This was during the mid seventies from 1975 to around 82. Never saw him after that. Could of been in his fifties or his eighties. It was hard to tell. Just curious if this could have been Crazy Jake. He was most likely the guy responsible for startling us many a night when dynamiting in the area.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Probably not Jake. All the pictures I've seen of him were clean-shaven and shaved bald head.
MJacob

Re: Crazy Jake

Post by MJacob »

Regrettably, he was my dad. I was born in 68 and last saw him in 76. I remember him as being almost bald and never having facial hair.

There is a pic of him in this article. He is thin & looks younger so I'm guessing it was taken in the early 70's.

http://linkvalidator.net/warn.php?p=aHR ... 8wOS5odG1s
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Thanks for the answer. The post threw me off it had been so long and I figure it was likely Lester Miller......Maybe. I knew a few people that probably associated with your Dad when he was living around the Metro center area. I had always wondered who the guy they met was and kind of wondered if it was that guy. I was too young to ask or remember names back then. Probably was best not to ask.

Thanks for posting, I know there are quite a few people who attend the rendezvous who knew or worked for your Dad at one time or another. Feel free to come out and join us......it is about celebrating the history of the mountains.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

zentull wrote:He never had any burros but wore a very large pack.
He was cleaning out the last bits of the Dutchman Mine :lol: :lol:
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

I met Crazy Jake on one occasion... he was heavy set, bald, heavily armed and wearing camo. He also left a lasting impression, to say the least. He was not the kind of person one wanted to bump into in the middle of no-where...
Lugnut38030

Post by Lugnut38030 »

Believe I know Jake pretty well. He had 6 other guys as well as myself up there in the mountains just messing around. We were suppose to be working the mine but there was no mine. It was all a scam that Jake had going. His real name is Robert S. Jacob. I also worked for him at the Trails End Ranch on the corner of Alma School Rd & Pecos. This was before he went to Prison in 87. There I ran into him in the Santa Cruz yard and believing it or not he was still scaming people into believing he knew where the mine was.
I spent 55 days in the Mountain and I covered quite a bit of ground during that time. I
believe I know where the Dutchman is or was and I've seen all the evidence and believe it to be the correct location.
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Heh,Lugnuts:
Any idea what happened to Jake's skid of gold bars?

Regards:SH.