Helen Corbin's New Book

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
S.C.
Part Timer

Helen Corbin's New Book

Post by S.C. »

There have been many posting here off and on regarding when particular books would be put out. Awhile back there was talk of several things to come out soon.

One discussed was Wendel Scott's new book - but that has come out and is available.

Another was Helen Corbin's new book that was supposed to be out soon. There were several posts indicating that it would be out "in a month or so..." I have not seen anything yet on it.

Does anyone know what the current release date for the book is? And does anyone know the theme or contents of the book?
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

S.C.,
Here is what the Library of Congress says about it. This is more info than I have found anywhere else:
-----------------------------------------
LC Control Number: 2002006802
Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
Brief Description: Corbin, Helen.
The bible on the lost Dutchman Gold Mine and Jacob Waltz : a pioneer history of the Gold Rush / Helen M. Corbin.
Prescott, Ariz. : Wolfe Pub. Co., 2002.
p. cm.
Projected Pub. Date: 0206
------------------------------------------

So, at least we have a title!
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

FYI, I've recently heard that the publication of this book is being pushed back to an undetermined date. Tom Glover remains the reigning champ of LDM books, at least for a while longer.
S.C.
Part Timer

Current Info on Helen Corbin's Upcoming Book

Post by S.C. »

A week or so ago I had received word that Helen Corbin's new book was to come out - after several delays - August 7th. Yesterday in the mail I received the Superstition Mountain Museum's quarterly newsletter "The Museum Messaeger." In it was an announcement about Corbin's book. It indicated the release date was September 1st.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

It will probably come out at the same time that Ron's excavation goes ahead.
LDMFAN
Greenhorn

Post by LDMFAN »

After reading some of these posts, I get the distinct impression that nobody puts any credence in any of the books on the subject of the LDM.

If it were not for the various books on the subject, I would not be able to comment, make guesses, etc., with out the information that was presented in these various works.

A question arises, (this does not necessarily apply to everyone on this forum), if nobody puts any credence in any of the books that were written, where did they get the information to start seeking out the LDM? Do they have privy information that was not available to the people who were actually there in that time period? I think not. I do think that they may have taken information from all of the books that they have read and pieced together their on theories, like myself. Although I am not an avid LDM hunter, the stories and history do intrigue me.

When I do hike in the Superstitions, alot of the stories and information come back to mind. Yes, like someone else posted elsewhere here on this forum, it would be absolutely amazing to actually find the mine or source of Jacob Walt's gold. You never know, it could happen. But I think that after all of these years, with the technology that is available and people out there who are a lot more intelligent and can solve puzzles better than others, the source of Jacob Walt's gold would have been found.

To form my theories and opinion, came from the various books I've read on this subject. Where did everyone else get their intitial information? Reading this forum has given me new ideas and reinforced old ones. Just my opinion, I don't think Jacob had a mine. I think he came across a stash of rich gold ore that had been mined by the Mexicans.
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

Good points, LDMFAN.

I believe most all books have something (even if they are a small tidbits) that are worth pondering. We can all point out huge errors in most all books. We can all disagree about what they say. No one book has it all covered nor satisfies everyone.

Some books bring out a lot of comments - good and bad. Others do not. It (the LDM) is such a controversial topic that no one can agree on anything. So, is it any wonder there is no real "Bible" on the subject - no one work that is accepted for what it is or respected by all?
nicoh
Greenhorn

Post by nicoh »

Not to paint myself as the "glass is half empty" guy on the forum, but I tend to agree with ya, LDMFAN: it's more than likely that someone has found a "secret" gold mine, perhaps the Dutchman's. I say this because, if anything of that magnitude HAS been found in the past, the discoverer would not have gone public, as it were. Would you? Well, maybe now in 2002, one of us would "go public," just as a public service announcement sort of thing. Common decency.
OR maybe we wouldn't, just to keep the mystique alive. That is, we all need something to search for; why not lose ourselves in the greatest treasure legend in America, a land that has been built on the individual pursuit of prosperity?
So why do I personally involve myself in the search? Because maybe deep down I hope my logic is wrong...that there really is something still out there. After all, almost each time I've gone out there, I've see the little glimmer of a speck of gold (usually copper, heh) in a tiny pebble in a wash. So I know gold exists. So even if it's not THE mine that may or may not have been found, I'm still a-lookin'.
Buena suerte.
n
LDMFAN
Greenhorn

Helen's "Bible" Basically A Newer Edition of The &

Post by LDMFAN »

I just finished reading Helen's new book "The Bible of Jacob Waltz and LDM"...(sic).

Pretty much the same info as her first book on the LDM. This book did add a few bits of new info but nothing any more useful than what was presented in the Curse. A lot of the new info she included I felt wasn't really relevent.

She did show info of the existence of Jacob Weis, but still does not prove that he was Waltz's partner in the mine or cache.

Food for thought was presented in that she said that Barkley was an avid LDM hunter which I did not know. That he had (may have) removed a lot of the clues that were present at the time.

If anyone is thinking about purchasing her new book, I would advise that unless you are a devoted LDM reader, the same info is covered her first book.
Rosebud
Greenhorn

Amazon.com

Post by Rosebud »

There is a lot of good information presented in the forum on books about the LDM. For a wider dissemination of ideas and opinions consider not only posting your thoughts here, but also on Amazon.com.
Ron
Part Timer

Helen Corbin's new book

Post by Ron »

Books , no matter how bad or good help keep the legend alive. Not much different than we are doing in this forum, is it? There are tidbits of information in almost all books. No book or set of clues will find the mine, so have fun reading everthing, as I'm sure the authors all have had fun writing them. With books such as Corbin's, Glover's, Kollenborn's, Ely, and the one writing this, including many others,( not Wendall Scott's) it is a labor of love, and it preserves some history. We do this in earnest, trust me.
azmula
Part Timer

Post by azmula »

Did anyone attend the talk by Helen Corbin in Mesa? Were there any questions about the quality of the book, the non-existent flow, and the lack of acknowledgements to her willing and not so willing sources? Did Bob discuss his plans and those of other "LDM Historians" on Peter's Mesa?

azmula
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Azmula

Well said. You have a discerning eye and mind........

P