estee conatser (import from old form)

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
count
Expert

estee conatser (import from old form)

Post by count »

can anybody confirm or discredit estees conatsers claim in her book regarding the four men who supposedly took a fortune in gold fronm the superstitions in the 1940s.or is this yet another nonsense . also the claim in several books of the supposed 254000 dollars of gold waltz took from his mine? several authors have used this amount and stated it as fact.where did this figure come from?are there records to support these enigmatic statements
count
Expert

(import from old form)

Post by count »

Conatser's book doesn't go into any detail over who the men were who took the gold out of the mountains in the 40's. It's believed this story stems from accounts of several men from san carlos who went into the Superstitions in the 1940's and removed $50,000 worth of gold and silver from a hidden cave or hole. This story is linked somehow to the Kochera story and the map Kochera had with him that he got from an indian named Haywood.

The $254,000 figure is a mystery. I have heard that sum mentioned that Waltz sent that amount to the mint in SanFrancisco but no records remain to verify the story. Also that Waltz sent that amount of gold to a sister back in Germany but again no record of that transaction has been found. Somewhere in Tom Glovers book he mentions a record with Waltzs transactions but it was a much smaller amount if I remember, only a couple thousand dollars or so. Most of these stories are tall tales used by authors to sell their books.