"new" guy chimes in

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
bones

"new" guy chimes in

Post by bones »

I first heard the legend from my uncle in Paradise Valley when my family visited here in 1959 when I was 6. I moved here after the service in 1975 and live in Cottonwood. That first telling made a lasting impression on me that has stayed very strong. I read everything I could get my hands on. Some were laughable, others were intriguing. The one that I feel is the most believable is Sims Ely's Lost Dutchman Mine from 1953 which I have two first editions of. My younger brother moved here 3 years ago from Ohio and has a home near Goldfield in Apache Junction. This last January we walked from his home straight up Siphon Draw to Flatiron. What a tough hike that was! I would have been much more excited had we been further east and in the general area that all clues point to. We do have plans to hike those areas in the late fall and winter.
This is a great site and I love reading the forums! :D
Gary
Freedom is NOT free! The freedom to make one's own choices includes the obligation to be responsible for the results.
Cubfan64
Expert

Re: "new" guy chimes in

Post by Cubfan64 »

Welcome - there is a wealth of information here and in the archives, but there's plenty of misdirection and other "chaff" to sort through to find the nuggets of truth. It could take months (if not years) to sort through all the posts, follow them, then put them in context and finally go back and read them all again (often more than once) to really get the pictures.

Then, once that's all done you have to get out there and do your own research to verify what you're interested in and finally you have to get out there and explore off the beaten path.

It's definitely an adventure and it captures at least a few of our imaginations - sounds like you might be hooked too :).

Enjoy
bones

Post by bones »

Thanks cubfan! (Cincinnati Reds Fan here) I know that the quest (at least in spirit) for the LDM will burn brightly in me until my passing to join Jacob and the host of others. Except for the quest for the Holy Grail and Noah's Ark, this quest is at least narrowed down to one small yet rugged area!
Gary
Freedom is NOT free! The freedom to make one's own choices includes the obligation to be responsible for the results.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

bones wrote:Thanks cubfan! (Cincinnati Reds Fan here) I know that the quest (at least in spirit) for the LDM will burn brightly in me until my passing to join Jacob and the host of others. Except for the quest for the Holy Grail and Noah's Ark, this quest is at least narrowed down to one small yet rugged area!
Gary

Gary,

Welcome to the LDM Forum! Paul has given you good advice. Once you get into the heavy research, you will find that not everyone places the LDM in the Superstitions.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
bones

Post by bones »

Gary,

Welcome to the LDM Forum! Paul has given you good advice. Once you get into the heavy research, you will find that not everyone places the LDM in the Superstitions.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo[/quote]
Thanks Joe!
I'm sure I will find this site as intriguing as the legend itself! (Well......maybe not) LOL
ChihuahuaMeme

Post by ChihuahuaMeme »

Hi, I am new also. I just wanted to know if anyone ever heard of Superstition "Joe"? I met him one time while traveling to Las Vegas and he allowed me to take pictures of him and his team wagon. He lived in the Superstition Mountains and I imagine he looked for gold. If someone will tell me if it is alright to post his picture and where it can be done I will do so. Thanks :D
alfonzo

Post by alfonzo »

Not much activity anymore here, but welcome, i check in once and awhile. You can post the photo. i would put it on photobucket.com and copy the link for forums and place the link in a post. looking forward to it,

alfonzo