Ground covered in a day?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Mitchell_78613
Greenhorn

Ground covered in a day?

Post by Mitchell_78613 »

Tryng to sort of estimate how much ground you could cover in a day hiking in the supes. Has there been moony large organized searches? like if you took like 200 people. made a grid of the supes and grid an organized planned out search like that?
Somehiker
Part Timer

Re: Ground covered in a day?

Post by Somehiker »

Maximum group size in the Superstition Wilderness is 15.

Regards:SH.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

I could personally walk all the way across the range, from the West side to the East side, in a single day. I'm sure Wayne and a few others could as well. That may not help you though :lol:
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Both ways....with a backpack full of gold !
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

The problem is you could spend a day or days, just scouring a single ravine. Some areas could be foot by foot and there are areas that would require ropes and a lot of cliffing out and back tracking. Just taking the trails you can cover a lot of ground in a day or even hours, but if you go off trail it changes everything. It seems most short cuts in the mountains are not that at all.

So if its just scenic and using Jack Carlsons hiking guides, you can cover quite a bit of distance.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wayne,

I would not put all of Jack's "trails" in the same bag. Many of them are quite difficult and take a good chunk of time. For instance, the trail? up Hieroglyphic Canyon to Superstition Peak can take the better part of a day, round trip.

The Cliff Dwellings in Roger's Canyon trail is just under six miles and takes around five hours.....one way. Don't let the old folks hiking the trails fool you. Once you leave those trails, you might just find an adventure you never expected.

As you have said, if you are "off trail" and making your own way, it's not unusual to take all day and travel a very short overall distance. Taking what you think will be a shortcut, often ends up against steep cliffs, deep ravines and impossible slopes of "slide rock". 8O

Anytime you go into the Supe's, especially off trail, it's a good thing to know your own limitations, as well as the limitations of those who are with you. That's why I no longer go into the mountains. :(

Take care,

Joe
Oroblanco
Part Timer

Post by Oroblanco »

I would only add that one is extremely unlikely to find a well hidden mine or cache of gold if you are hiking as fast as you can across country. Taking it slow usually works out better. :mrgreen:

Oroblanco
"We must find a way, or we will make one." --Hannibal Barca