8th. ANNUAL DUTCH HUNTER'S RENDEZVOUS

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

8th. ANNUAL DUTCH HUNTER'S RENDEZVOUS

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

The 8th. Annual Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous will be held at the Don's Camp the 19th, 20th and 21st. of October, 2012. The gate will be open Friday morning, the 19th.

As we get closer more information will be posted. If you look back at the thread about last year's event, that may answer many questions.

See you there,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Re: 8th. ANNUAL DUTCH HUNTER'S RENDEZVOUS

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

The 8th. Annual Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous will be held at the Don's Camp the 26th, 27th and 28th. of October, 2012. The gate will be open Friday morning, the 26th.

As we get closer more information will be posted.

See you there,

Joe Ribaudo

The dates above are correct, as I received an email from Greg Davis correcting what I had posted in my last post. :oops:
Mrs. Oroblanco
Greenhorn

Post by Mrs. Oroblanco »

Thanks for the update, Joe.

Beth
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Suggestion for you Joe - make life easier for Carolyn and yourself and either just rent a smaller RV like Roger does and come down in that, or stay in a nearby hotel. I know it won't be the same, but it'll take ALOT of burden off you guys, and there'll always be plenty of food to go around.

Just a thought.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Paul,

We both appreciate the thought. While it's true that we are pretty well worn down by that third day, we want to give it one more year. The time is fast approaching when we will both no longer be able to do what we have done from the start, but it's been very rewarding. We have made a lot of new friends and renewed our contact with many old ones.

From that start (thirteen people) our friends and family have always given us a helping hand. Each year that participation has grown. Without the help we received that first year, I doubt the event would have gotten off the ground. I hope that next year, Carolyn and I will be the ones lending a helping hand, as best we can.

We are looking forward to seeing you again, as well as the rest of the Rendezvous family.

Our best to you and Connie,

Joe
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

I completely understand Joe - just hate to see you guys overdo things to the point where you're not getting the overall enjoyment you ought to get too. If nothing else, maybe just scale things down a little bit and let everyone else chip in enough to make things a little easier.

I hope to make it there this year, but will have to see how things go - it's been a really hectic year already and with gas prices and the cost of everything going up seemingly weekly, it's getting tougher to make ends meet.

We'll see how things go.

Paul
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

These are a few posts from previous years melded into one :

Carolyn and I will provide stew and garlic toast 'til it runs out Friday night. Roger will provide salad. Anyone who wishes to add their own dish to the mix is more than welcome. We have an 18 Qt. Nesco cooker that we fill up, so that will feed a pretty good crowd. We ran out last year, so if your late, you may find an empty pot.

Saturday morning, we will have mom's Italian Sausage Gravy and home made biscuits. Same deal. We serve it 'til it's gone.

We bring a gas barbecue, and everyone is welcome to use it whenever they like. We always bring ourselves steaks for Saturday night, but you can all do your own thing. We will have shade and tables set up all weekend. We have a few extra chairs, but you should bring your own.

You should bring your own drinks, and a little firewood never hurts. We had more kids and wives last year than ever before. I believe they all enjoyed the weekend.

Wayne, Greg and Randy do us all a great service by setting this event up every year. Make your plans now, and don't miss out on the Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous.......again.

The gate for the Don's Camp will be open Friday morning for early arrivals. There is plenty of room to set up your camp, close to others or a bit farther away if you're so inclined.

There is plenty of shade, bring your own chairs. We will have extra cold water and a few extra chairs, along with tables set up by our trailer. Once again, the gas barbecue will be available to anyone who needs it. We will have Mom's stew, garlic toast and Roger's salad for those who come in Friday night. Should have enough for 75-80 people, but those who have reserved their dinner will be served first.

I should be able to feed a like number Saturday morning, same deal on who gets to eat.

Hope to see more wives and kids this year, as it's a good family outing. .

East on 60 to Peralta Rd. Left on paved......it turns into hard packed dirt. There will be signs at the Don's Camp entrance,(it's a left turn) but if you get to Peralta Trailhead, you have gone too far. Once you turn off Peralta Rd. come in a little ways and look to your right. The gate to the camp will be uphill from you.

Closer map:

You will need to bring drinks, lunchs, breakfast for Sunday Morning and Dinner for Saturday night. I would suggest you have something for Friday night as well as Saturday morning, as I will only have a limited amount of food. When I run out, you're on your own.

Joe Ribaudo
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

This year our Saturday guest is going to be the incredible Dr. Thomas Glover! He will be doing a talk on the Ely family. DO NOT miss it, I promise it to be unforgettable.

Thanks to all who have attended in the past, and to the Don's club for so graciously providing the camp site for us to use.

I look forward to another great year of yarns, beer, and sleep :lol:
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Dr. Glover will be speaking on the Ely Collection Saturday night at the Rendezvous. He has been in contact with the family for a number of years, and they decided to give him all of the material they had, which includes much new information concerning Waltz's death, his gold and Dick Holmes. There is also information concerning Adolph Ruth's death.

Anyone interested in the legends surrounding the LDM, and getting your information from a source that was close in time to the events, should make every effort to make it to the Rendezvous. Many questions that we have been asking over the years, will be answered.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Carolyn and I have decided to not host this years Rendezvous. That decision has been a long time coming, but this year seems to be the right time. I hope someone else steps up and claims the job, as it has provided us with a great deal of pleasure over the years.

Carolyn will stay home this year, and I will be driving down without our trailer. I'm looking forward to seeing you all.

This will not be a Rendezvous to miss, as Dr. Glover's presentation should be a barn-burner.

Our best to all,

Joe & Carolyn
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

It's been a blooming tradition of sorts for Joe to bring much food and drink to the camp, so Wayne and I will be continuing that tradition in a way. Friday night I will cook a large pot of Chili, and Saturday evening we will be grilling hamburgers and hot dogs. I believe we are going to bring some refreshments.

Everyone coming to the Rendezvous this year needs to be mindful of your own supplies. Make sure you have water, coolers or a way to keep things cold, food, etc. I don't think a lot of people "relied" on Joe to provide for the weekend, but if you did then you'll need to be a little more self sufficient this year.

Wayne and I will be using raffle money from last year to pay for the food if anyone is wondering.

Also I will be opening the gates on Friday morning, so if you arrive before then I'm sorry to say you will have to camp in the lower parking lot or elsewhere. Also, be mindful that if you are camping on state trust land you will need a permit. All of us in the Don's camp Friday-Sunday will not need any permits aside from the one secured by the Don's.

I'm looking forward to the turn out this year, hopefully it grows just as it has been every year since Joe created this event. If anyone has any other questions please ask them here, or send Wayne and I an e-mail.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

I noticed that Ashton asked (DUSA) if he would miss anything by waiting until Sat. to come to the event. Dr. Glover will be the main speaker Sat. night, and no one should miss that.

At this time, the guys are trying to find another speaker for Friday night, so the answer is.....maybe. As Wayne mentioned over on DUSA, there is a great deal of conversation on Friday as people are relaxing after setting up. Many locals just drive out for each day, such as Tom Kollenborn.

It really is a three day event, and the information and stories flow for all three days, as well as going late into the night. Beth and Bob Corbin have talked 'til three in the morning. That's not unusual at all.

Just to be clear, I gave up the planing for the nuts and bolts part of the Rendezvous
after the third or fourth event. Randy, Greg and Wayne were kind enough to take
over that job. Carolyn and I stayed on to host the events and provide some food,
shade, water.....etc.

My health has been getting worse lately and that, as well some other issues, convinced us that we should give up the hosting as well. That does not mean I have no interest in the event, and I will keep up with what the plans are each year.

As I receive that information, I will try to make sure it is passed along to everyone.

See you there,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

If someone wants to copy and paste my last post over on DUSA, it might have some interest for a few of their members.

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Thanks Randy.

See you soon,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

I received a call from Baker Looney the other night. Baker is a true gentleman
and a long time Dutch Hunter.

He will be unable to attend this year's Rendezvous as he had a bad heart attack. Baker is on oxygen and a portable defibrillator, 24-7. He is scheduled for heart surgery and could use your good wishes and prayers. He hopes to attend next
year's event.

I look forward to seeing you all at the Don's Camp.

Take care,

Joe
alan m
Part Timer

Post by alan m »

Wishing him God speed to a full recovery
Alan
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Nice history of the Rendezvous by Tom Kollenborn can be found here:

Tom Kollenborn Chronicles: The Dutch Hunters' Rendezvous

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

This site is not working very well. Let's try that site again:

http://superstitionmountaintomkollenbor ... zvous.html

Joe
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

I hope Looney gets better soon!

Also I need to make an announcement that no pets will be allowed at the camp site during the event.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy,

Just want to make sure I understand this:

"Also I need to make an announcement that no pets will be allowed at the camp site during the event."

I assume that also means horses, which I believe only happened once when we had the Arizona Rangers attend but we do get a rider from the Quarter Circle-U on occasion.

Has there been a problem with pets? It is, after all, a "primitive camp".

See you Friday,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Pets are allowed in camp. Horses kept in upper camp/parking lot. We do ask no pets during the saturday evening event at the ramada. Both boys are coming out this year. They have early release, so I should be in earlier than usual.

Jake isn't doing too well, he is lame on one of his back legs, so chances are he won't be coming out.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Thanks to everyone that came out! It was another successful Rendezvous. Wayne and I enjoyed the weekend like we always do. Thanks you again to all of you who made donations for the raffle. A big thanks to the Don's for again allowing us to invade their camp for the weekend. Lastly, and certainly not least, a big thanks to Dr. Thomas Glover for a fantastic talk about Sims, Bark and their history.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari