Travis Tumlinson and the Stone Maps

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
novice
Expert

Travis Tumlinson and the Stone Maps

Post by novice »

My wife and I have been researching the history of the stone maps for over five years and there comes a point when it seems prudent to go ahead and share what we have found. There will always be another lead to run down or another piece of evidence to collect and document. The research has been both fun and sad, exhilarating and frustrating. We have met and dealt with some wonderful people. We have traveled to Hood River, Oregon, Wenatchee, Washington, Portland, Oregon, Austin, Texas, and of course the areas in Texas where the families of Travis and his wife Alleen called home, while trying to piece together the history of the stone maps and the personalities involved. We have visited with Travis and Alleen’s daughter Janie in her home and also have met other family members.

It is not my intention to try and convince anyone of anything. I just want to present some of what we have found, what we have seen and what we have been told. I hope that it doesn’t become a case of “kill the messengers”. I will try to frame the story with a minimum of speculation and if speculation does become necessary, I will try to make sure that those thoughts are clearly identified.

The short version of the story is that we were told by the family members with whom we spoke, that Travis Tumlinson carved the stone maps.

I suppose that would be the end of the story for many but that would ignore the legend and history of the stone maps that has captivated so many. I have no doubt that many will dismiss the family’s assertions, saying they are at the very least mistaken. There are some additional physical items which, I believe, tend to lend weight to the family’s story and I will address those a bit further on.

The tablets may not lead to treasure but their story, for me, is still every bit as compelling.

My first exposure to the stone maps came through this forum. There were those who believed they were genuine and were actively pursuing their clues while there were others who dismissed them as a hoax. I began following a couple of Peralta map threads and using the internet to research some of the Tumlinson stories and genealogy. Larry Webb had started a thread and posted some personal history about Travis Tumlinson and then Roger Newkirk Identified the Bernice McGee article, “Are the Peralta Stone Maps a Hoax?”, as the source for the information. This would be a major input for the research to follow.

Knowing where Travis was from, we stopped in Wilson County, Texas in early 2006. We were now also researching Pegleg Tumlinson. We went to the courthouse, the libraries, the cemeteries, the funeral home and the newspaper office. We collected an arm load of information and when we returned home I began posting some of it on the forum.

http://www.thelostdutchmangoldmine.com/ ... ?f=1&t=666

At that time, additional photos and images were also placed in the Members Photo Gallery (Tumlinson Album)

I will prepare additional posts as I create this overview. I do not have a final destination identified with this thread and I suspect there will be some detours.

I will try to get installments two, three, four etc. prepared and posted over the next week or two.

Garry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Re: Travis Tumlinson and the Stone Maps

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry,

ONCE AGAIN, you have done a wonderful job of digging into the history surrounding the LDM and it's various.......legends and stories.

I had decided a number of years ago that the Stone Maps were a modern-day creation. It's nice to have some confirmation of that fact. I imagine there will be some serious resistance to the information you are posting.

A number of years ago, Azmula posted his story of the Stone Maps on this Forum. That may have been some kind of advance warm-up for the book that he had been writing, and that has been waiting in the wings for many years. When I asked him for a source for (only) the historical "facts" in his posting, it did not go over very well. I fear your expose may have the same effect.

Like you, I prefer my history to be true and not made up. The fact that I believed in the Stone Map story for close to 40-years, does not change that.

I am looking forward to.......the rest of the story.

Thank you,

Joe Ribaudo
blindbowman

Post by blindbowman »

i saw this reply on treasurenet listting the link to this post .. i will be more then willing to state our right the stones are not modern fakes and at the 2011 Rendenous i plain to prove they are not fakes .. i think there is a lot of back ground reach being done and thats a good thing .. but the stones speak for them self and unless anyone has correctly translated the stone they would have no posable way of knowing one way or the other if the stones were real or fake .. in my case i can confirm they are real .. and will do so at the rendenous on October 21 st, early in the morning around 07:00 .. anyone that feels other wise is more then willing to hike to the lost prealta ma mine with me and see for them selfs ... this mine is the real Lost Dutchman mine and i am more then willing to try to prove it that morning and end any debate from that point on ward ... i feel sorry that so much confussion has become part of these stones and their histroy .. and it is shame that so many people have made a stand with no logic to base their opioions on ...

unless tumlinson was alive in 1603-1609 he nor none of his family or friends made these stone .."Fact"
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

I'm your huckleberry, lets take a hike.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
novice
Expert

Contributions of Larry Webb and Bernice McGee

Post by novice »

Shortly after returning from Texas (March 2006), we came in contact with two individuals who were critical in our follow-up research activity, Larry Dean Webb and Bernice McGee. It’s impossible to give them enough credit or overstate their contributions. It was Larry who located and contacted Janie Tumlinson, Travis and Alleen’s only child. It was Bernice who shared much of her correspondence during the years when she was researching the stone maps and was in contact with a who’s who of individuals that were involved with the stone maps and the Superstition Mountains. Both have since passed away. Larry died July 25th, 2008 in Austin, Texas and Bernice died April 28, 2009 in Fort Worth, Texas.

Larry was a strong believer in the authenticity of the stone maps and had been interested in the lost treasures in the Superstitions for many years. He shared his thoughts and through several telephone conversations, I kind of pieced together his theory. Larry believed that Peg Leg Tumlinson had come to Arizona with a large party from Mexico and searched for the treasure using the stone maps in the early 1890s. The seed of Larry’s theory came from Don Shade’s book, Esperanza and the Tumlinson diary that Ray Howland claimed to have found.

Larry made a trip to the Superstitions during the time we were in contact and he had located a spot on the ground where he believed a treasure might lie. He actually dug holes on more than one occasion and he also came up empty this last time. Even so, he was far from discouraged.

Larry had a rather extensive library and he made copies of numerous sections of books and articles that I didn’t have. He sent me a complete copy of Clarence Mitchell’s “Superstition Treasures”. (Bernice McGee would later send me an extra copy that she had received from the Mitchells)

For the next year or so Larry and I continued to exchange information related to the stone maps and Travis Tumlinson.

In January of 2007, my wife and I visited Bernice McGee in Fort Worth and she gave Carol and me, four three ring binders bulging with her correspondence, newspaper clippings, etc. This certainly jump started the Travis Tumlinson, Clarence Mitchell and Stone Map research again. I shared much of that with Larry and we mused about locating Janie Tumlinson.

One evening in April of 2007, I received a call from Larry Webb. He had taken a trip down to south Texas and had located a family related to the Tumlinsons. They had given Larry, Janie’s phone number and address!

Also when Larry was visiting with the family, they told him that there was a stone carving in the yard that Travis had made. They took him out and pointed it out. Larry examined it on both sides but he did not photograph it.

Garry
novice
Expert

Larry Webb and Janie Tumlinson Contact

Post by novice »

A day or so later, after Larry’s sojourn to south Texas, he called Janie and told her that he was interested in the Stone Maps. Janie said, ”Oh yes, Travis carved them!” Larry was certainly taken aback that she was so forthcoming and I’m sure that he was disappointed. When he told me the story, I asked him what he thought. He said, “Well it came from the horse’s mouth so to speak”. Larry would continue to wrestle with the idea the remainder of the time he was in contact with Janie.

Larry told Janie that he would not share her contact information with anyone but he was working with a friend and he would like to share the information she passed on. She said that was fine and was very forthcoming and shared several stories and background over the next several months. I was happy as I was able to begin researching those stories and filling in some of the gaps in our timeline.

Janie was aware of the stone carving that Larry had seen in the yard in Texas that her father had carved and she had pictures of it.

She related a story about a cabin and stone chimney near there, where Travis had made some additional carvings when he was about 13 or 14 years old. She had photos of these carvings.

There was a manuscript that Travis had written and that Janie had copied. She also told some additional personal family stories that had been passed down from the family.

Larry asked if he could visit and make a recording of her repeating her story, get copies of the photos and the manuscript. She was very agreeable. The problem was that the family was planning on purchasing a house and everything was in storage. It would all have to wait until they had completed their move.

Larry talked with the family over the next 8 or 9 months and in December 2007, they were moving. Larry only had their phone number and no new address and he lost contact. He tried an old e-mail and sent a letter to the old address hoping it would be forwarded but all to no avail. We stewed and hoped that they might contact him. This continued for about 6 or 7 months and on July 25, 2008, Larry had a fatal heart attack. Larry had become a close friend and I was stunned.

A couple of months later, I took stock and realized I knew very little about how to find Janie again. I didn’t know who the family in south Texas was or where they were located and didn’t even know the state that Janie lived in.

Garry
novice
Expert

Post by novice »

It took a while to relocate Janie but I finally came up with a candidate. It was only an address. In December of 2008, Carol and I showed up at the front door. It was Janie and her husband. They had purchased a new home and were putting in a new floor but they graciously invited us in and we explained who we were and our affiliation with Larry. We spent about an hour visiting and Janie verified everything she had told Larry. She also told us the name and location of the family that Larry had visited in south Texas. They had not finished unpacking and obviously had a big job facing them.

We shared some things with Janie and she thanked us by e-mail but again everything went into another holding pattern, but the name she gave us in Texas would allow us to find that family.

In January and February, 2010 we made a trip to south Texas to escape some of Missouri’s cold weather. We stopped for a few days near San Antonio and made a day trip over to see the family that Larry had visited. (I have purposely omitted the family’s name and location at this time because I’m not sure they have any desire to be contacted. I’m sure that a persistent researcher could identify and contact them but I hope they wouldn’t feel it was necessary at this time.)

We were interested in finding the cabin with the stone chimney that Janie had talked about, perhaps seeing the stone tablet that Travis carved and asking about Travis’s Manuscript. Again we showed up on their doorstep and were received very graciously. We told them about Larry’s untimely death and that we were trying to follow-up on the research. Joe and his mother spoke freely about Travis and how they came to have his Stone Carving and for the first time we learned that they had several other artifacts that Joe believed Travis may have carved. We were invited to view Travis’s Stone Carving but were asked not to photograph it. We were also shown the artifacts. And yes, they did have the original of Travis’s manuscript and stated that Janie had made a copy a few years previous. They located the cabin and chimney on a county map we had. It had been a wonderful couple of hours!

We set out to find the chimney and came up empty. We had trolled up and down the roads for an hour or so and finally concluded that the cabin and chimney had probably been bulldozed. It had been several years since the family or Janie had visited the site.

We were disappointed in not being able to locate the chimney but we were ecstatic about being able to view the large stone carving by Travis that Larry had seen almost four years previous.

Over the next year we exchanged some calls with Joe and we sent him some material related to the maps. We also sent Janie a couple of letters but her family’s level of interest in the maps was much less than our own.

In February, 2011, we again went to Texas for a respite from the cold. I called Joe and left a message, that on our return to Missouri, we would like to stop by. We got a call from Joe a couple of days later informing us that he had found the cabin and chimney and he was standing at the site. It had not been destroyed at all. We had simply looked too far west!

A couple of weeks later we called and made arrangements to stop by and Joe offered to take us to the chimney site.

Garry
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Garry - interesting information and good presentation so far! It looks like you really put a lot of effort into this!
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry,

Have to agree with Paul. You are keeping me on the edge of my seat waiting for the next installment. 8O

When you consider that I worked those Stone Maps for 40+ years, you might think I wasted a lot of time. I don't feel that way at all. While in the mountains, it was always an adventure. Outside the mountains, I did extensive research on Jesuit history, in Mexico and around the world.

Eventually I came to the conclusion that there was no vast Jesuit treasure....anywhere. That was when I decided that the stones were a modern-day creation.

I am thrilled to learn the true facts.

Take care,

Joe
Oroblanco
Part Timer

Post by Oroblanco »

Garry, thank you for your efforts and for sharing the results of your research. We all benefit when the truth becomes known, "warts and all".

I must retract my finger-pointing at treasure author Barry Storm as the creator of the Peralta stones, and any assistance or 'wink and nod' from other quarters including the Dons Club, which I actually have tremendous respect for even had they been marginally involved in any way. There is nothing wrong with promoting the legends and history of a beloved place.

My sincere apologies to the reputation of Barry Storm and the Dons club, for my false accusations (actually not a direct accusation) and I hope I can be forgiven for my suspicions.

I look forward to any further details you may add, thank you again.
Roy
"We must find a way, or we will make one." --Hannibal Barca
novice
Expert

Post by novice »

You guys are all too easily swayed. :)

We met Joe a couple of days later and away we went. We had been aware of the chimney site for a few years but the image that I had conjured up in my mind was a far cry from what we encountered. I had an image of a chimney that was cobble stone construction with lots of chinking. I believed we would find Travis’s carvings scratched in the chinking. I was way off base.

What we found was a vine covered chimney that had been made from fairly massive quarried sandstone blocks. The stones were about 8 inches thick, with varying widths and lengths. (My tape measure was on the other side of a barbed wire fence.) The carvings were actually on the face of the sandstone blocks themselves.

We could see carvings through the vines, so Joe and I began pulling the vines away to see everything clearly and take some pictures. We spent about 15 or 20 minutes trying to clear the large face of the chimney as high as we could reach.

There were a lot of miscellaneous names and dates on the chimney but all of the “images”, except one, appear to have been created by Travis. Someone had tried a small pistol and it was in among some other scratching and barely recognizable. There were two separate areas that Travis worked in. One where Travis’s name appears amid several figures tied together by arrows, and a second area, higher on the chimney face.

This photo is of the cabin in where Travis Tumlinson carved his name and added several figures. You can see the vines on the chimney and the log construction. There was a single carving on the right side of the chimney. It was a date of 1876. This may represent the date the chimney and cabin were built and it would fit within the time line for the settlement of the area. The carvings on the front face and left side were dated almost 50 years later. (Mostly 1923-1924)

This photo is an overview of the chimney after Joe and I had pulled the vines away to expose the carvings. You can begin to gain a sense of the chimney construction and the size of sandstone blocks. This is only a guesstimate but I would put the chimney at between 15 and 18 feet tall.

The area where Travis had carved at least some of his text and figures had survived unscathed. I will call it Travis’s “mural” for want of a better word. The arrows he added appear to tie all of the figures he drew in this “mural” together.

Travis also carved another image in the area above the “mural”.

I’m also going to post a cartoon I created that gives an overview and orientation of his carvings on the chimney.

I will add some of the photos of Travis’s chimney carvings in the next post.

Garry
alan m
Part Timer

Post by alan m »

Hello Joe
I read your post and must admit I am coffused.
It strikes me odd that with all the research you and others have done on the history and the stone tablets that you seem to be so easily convinced that the latest about Travis having carved the tablets is true.
Is there anything in your achives from your research that cast the slightest doubt?
As I have said in post before, I found a spanish base camp exactly where the tablets indicate that it should be. That along with a plethora of other information which I am not ready to divulge give cause for me to doubt the truth about Travis carving the stones.
Is it not possible that the Tumlinson Family have gotten sick and tired of being hounded by every treasure hunter from New York to California asking about Travis and the stone tablets?
Perhaps they just want the whole thing to go away and would like to enjoy a little peace and privacy.
Just my opinion
Best Regards
Alan
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Alan, I know your post was directed to Joe, but I wanted to toss my $0.02 into the mix.

I think the research Garry has done/is doing regarding tracing the history of the Stone Maps has a lot of merit. In my opinion, the more factual and documented the history of them becomes, the easier it is to try to make an educated opinion as to their true origins and thus, their true reason for existence.

I don't have a dog in this race mostly because I just haven't done anything to try to figure out "on the ground" where I think the Stone Maps could lead. The main reason is because I think it could very well be a lifelong endeavor, and I just have a hard time at this point putting all my eggs in that one basket and spending that kind of time running down something that there's just as much chance they are fraudulent as not. Perhaps if I lived in the area and had time to get out there every day or more often than a week a year, I might spend more time on them, but alas that's gonna have to wait awhile I'm afraid.

I don't doubt that you found a landmark that you believe is identified clearly on the Stone Maps, but just in the last few years alone I can come up with almost a dozen other people who are equally convinced they've found markings and locations that exactly match up with the Stone Maps also - and my guess is most if not all of you are in different locations. That certainly doesn't mean 1 of you can't be right, but it does mean you can't all, and yet each person has been firmly convinced they are on the right path.

Your theory that perhaps the Tumlinsons' just want the whole thing to go away could be spot on and has merit, unfortunatley it just proves my point that EVERY theory has some merit when it comes to the Stone Maps.

The one thing that always struck me from the moment I saw photographs of copies of the Stone Maps is that the Trail Stones and inserts had an "authentic" look to me - they weren't as finely or precisely done in my opinion, whereas the Priest/Horse Stone always had that cartoonish/finished look to it to suit my taste. Again, that's my opinion and likely not worth 2 bits since I have yet to look out there for signs that they may lead somewhere.

Garry's story and research is however interesting to me, and if it's like anything else Dutchman/Superstition Mountains, it will probably leave as many if not more questions to be asked than it does answer them - but then again it wouldn't be any fun if it didn't :). I'm also looking forward to seeing how Garry's research eventually meshes with that of Azmula when/if his article makes the SMHS Journal one of these days.

Paul
novice
Expert

Travis's ChimneyMural

Post by novice »

These photos are from different sections of the Chimney and you may want to refer back to the cartoon for orientation.

Travis was born in 1910 and he would have been about 13 or 14 when he dated the carvings.

This first photo is an overview of Travis's “mural”. You may have to download the photo and blow it up to see the details. It is difficult to pick out the bicycle and automobile.

The second photo is a clearer image of the bicycle and automobile. Although these images are not cut as deeply as the others they do reflect more intricate details.

The third photo is a carving above the “mural”. There is another head, similar to the head in the mural, along with a turtle.

Thinking out loud.

I can understand why a young boy might have a fascination with guns, cars and bicycles but why a turtle?

Travis Tumlinson’s grandfather was John “Pegleg” Tumlinson. Pegleg had died only 4 years before Travis made these carvings. In J Frank Dobies’ book, Coronado’s Children, he included two treasure stories involving Pegleg. It’s not a long stretch to believe that Travis was steeped in treasure stories from a young age.

Coronado’s Children has a section devoted to Spanish Treasure Symbols and one of those symbols was a turtle. While Travis certainly didn’t pick up the turtle from Dobie, who published his book in 1930, he may well have been aware of the turtle symbol.

I jumping ahead a bit here but in Travis’s manuscript, he devotes several pages to treasure symbols and he also includes a turtle.

If you do an internet search on (Spanish treasure symbols turtle), it appears that the turtle may have been a popular treasure symbol that has been in use for a long time.

While these carvings obviously have nothing to do with the stone maps, I believe they do add weight to the family story that Travis carved the Peralta Stone Maps.

We now know that when Travis was 14 years old he was carving images in sandstone surfaces that required a considerable amount of time, effort and skill.

He may have even added a Spanish Treasure Symbol?

Garry
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Garry,

Your research is always above reproach, BUUUUUUT, as the President said to the General in the movie "The Fifth Element" : "I HAVE A DOUBT."

Janie was very young when her dad passed away in 1961. Even much younger when he was actively pursuing the stone maps.

I have a very good source that knew TT very well and has stated to me in no uncertain terms that Travis in no way hoaxed the stones. Because of things said to me in confidence, I can't say the name of the person, but when I get home tonight, I will include a few relevant quotes from this person that cause me to have doubts about what Janie told you 13 years ago.

There are only two possibilities for the truth here:

1. What Janie told you was not true for whatever reasons she might have had (I have to agree with alan's thoughts on the matter). If my source gives me permission to say who they are, everything will be very apparent.

2. What was told to me was not true (for whatever reasons this person might have had).

In the meantime, I will post the same questions here I posted on another forum regarding this subject:

I put it to you:

1. If TT carved the stone maps himself, then why did he take almost a dozen secret trips into the Supers trying to solve them?

2. Why did he NEVER attempt to sell them?

3. Why did he keep them (for the most part) a complete secret from 1949 until his death in 1961?

4. Since Robert Tumlinson was Travis' Uncle, then why would Travis have given him the stones and let him spend several years and much of his meager pension traveling to Arizona trying to solve them?

5. Since Clarence Mitchell was a family friend of the Tumlinsons, then why did he not know that Travis carved them?

6. Since Clarence Mitchell was a family friend, then why didn't Aileen tell him that Travis had carved the stones?

7. If Mitchell knew that Travis had carved the stones, then why did he keep their existence a secret from 1961 until the Life Magazine Article came out in 1964?

I have always said that in order to get a true and accurate picture of a person, don't listen to what they say. Watch what they do! The actions of Travis Tumlinson are ABSOLUTELY not those of a man that had carved the stone maps himself.

Best-Mike
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Okay,

Here are some excerpts from a conversation of about two months ago:
[You]
Report · 1:15am
Absolutely. There are a lot of people that claim that the stone maps are a hoax and Travis was part of it. I have always said that a person's actions speak volumes, and Travis' actions were not those of someone perpetrating a hoax, after all, he kept their existence mostly a secret from 1949 until he passed away in 1961.

[NAME DELETED]
Report · 1:17am
you're right he wasn't perpetrating a hoax and he did keep their existence pretty much a secret all that time.
First, I have to say that I had to change a few words of the quote to obfuscate my source, but the main theme of the text is complete and true.

There are some other quotes I wanted to include, but it would be impossible to do without either changing too much of the correspondence or giving up the name or relationship to Travis T. If I get permission to do so, I will gladly post it. Until then;

Enjoy-Mike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mike,

Garry has no dog in this fight. He is only interested in the accuracy of the information and history that is being presented. He does the best research that is possible and available to him. That means that he may not be able to interview all of the sources available to the world at large. That would be especially true when the source is held in secret, such as yours.

With Garry, whatever he learns, he shares. He only holds back what he is told in confidence. He is not looking for any hidden treasure, only hidden history. I have never met anyone who digs into his history as thoroughly as Garry, along with his wife, and Larry.

It may be that you are just as good but, like many things in the treasure hunting game, many of us will be long dead before the facts are known. I understand how and why that is so but with Garry, we won't get the perpetual manana.......

Garry is presenting the evidence that he has found. It's up to each one of us how much faith we put in his research. After working with him for a number of years now, I no longer doubt anything he tells me. He remains the best, IMHO, at what he does, and I know some pretty good researchers.

Take care,

Joe
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Joe,

I have still never put any real effort into solving the stone maps. If I lived closer, then maybe I would have, but there are a lot of deserts and mountains between here and there. LOL

I didn't really need the speech because I have absolute faith in that if Garry says it was said to him, then it was so. I have absolutely zero reasons to doubt anything he says. I only doubt that the information given to him was accurate and true.

I am only waiting on a return email giving me permission to use my source's true identity. It should not take longer than 24 hours. I don't know their holiday schedule, or when they will next check their email.

Best-Mike
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Also,

I am glad that you support Garry's Research as much as I do, but you did not address any of the questions I asked. If a person is to believe that Travis Tumlinson hoaxed the stone maps, then those questions need to answered. Wouldn't you agree?

Mike
novice
Expert

Post by novice »

I had kind of hoped to finish relating the account of our tour with Joe on February 16, 2011, but I also want to try and address some of the questions raised by Alan and Mike. I don’t want anyone to believe I’m ignoring their concerns. While I doubt that my thoughts will move anyone much, I will offer them anyway.
Alan wrote: Is it not possible that the Tumlinson Family have gotten sick and tired of being hounded by every treasure hunter from New York to California asking about Travis and the stone tablets?
That was certainly not my sense from Larry’s initial and subsequent contacts. Larry did ask Janie if she had been in contact with anyone in the LDM community previously and her answer was no. Janie was extremely candid about the family, warts and all. If she felt she was being hounded, she had a strange way of expressing those feelings.

I will offer another personal observation about treasure hunters. Show them a map and their immediate reaction is where does it lead and away they go. They spend little if any time researching the provenance of the map. This may explain why Larry was apparently the first person to approach Janie about the stone maps.

Mike, it wasn’t 13 years ago that we visited with Janie it was 2008 and about 2 1/2 years ago. I had never heard of the Peralta Stone Maps until 2005. :)

Mike makes a great point when he talks about the age of Janie when her father died. He mother would die a couple of years later. I doubt that Travis ever sat Janie down and said. “I carved the Stone Maps”. I also expect that many of the stories that Janie passed on came to her via and older generation of family members. She lived in that general area with Travis’s sister’s family when growing up.

I will also offer some thoughts on Mike's questions and I don’t want to come across as being flippant by asking questions to questions but until we are able to view the evidence that Mike’s statements are based on, it’s hard to address them in detail.

Mike wrote: I put it to you:
1. If TT carved the stone maps himself, then why did he take almost a dozen secret trips into the Supers trying to solve them?
Why do you suggest that Travis took “secret” trips to the Superstitions? It seems to me there were people aware of his trips very early on.
2. Why did he NEVER attempt to sell them?
Didn’t Uncle Bob tell Love in the Peck letters that Travis was crazy to sell the stones?
3. Why did he keep them (for the most part) a complete secret from 1949 until his death in 1961?
I have seen nothing that would indicate to me that Travis did try to keep the maps a secret.
4. Since Robert Tumlinson was Travis' Uncle, then why would Travis have given him the stones and let him spend several years and much of his meager pension traveling to Arizona trying to solve them?
Why do you believe Travis “gave” Robert the stones? The Davis brothers suggest that Robert took the stones. We also know from the Peck letters that Robert and Travis had a serious falling out at some point. Janie told a story that might be related involving Travis and Robert and a shot being fired.
5. Since Clarence Mitchell was a family friend of the Tumlinsons, then why did he not know that Travis carved them?

6. Since Clarence Mitchell was a family friend, then why didn't Aileen tell him that Travis had carved the stones?
Why are we to “assume” that Clarence Mitchell and Travis Tumlinson were family friends? Janie had a different “story”.
7. If Mitchell knew that Travis had carved the stones, then why did he keep their existence a secret from 1961 until the Life Magazine Article came out in 1964?
Again I see no evidence that Clarence Mitchell made any conscious effort to keep the stone maps a “secret”. The more people aware of them the better. The first chance Mitchell had to spread the word in a national magazine article, he jumped on it.

Garry
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Garry,

Going back through my correspondences, my source just asked that I not reveal her contact information, or how I found her, so that I will not do, but I will say now that my source is/was Janie Tumlinson. Our conversation happened about two months ago. That is how I found out about what type of car that is in the picture with the stones on its bumper and more.

Here are most of our texts from first contact:
[You]
Report · 1:02am
Thanks. No, you don't know me. One of my interests is researching the engraved stones your father found in 1949.

[Janie Tumlinson ******]
Report · 1:03am
I remember them well

[You]
Report · 1:04am
So little is known about your parents. Only second hand information from friends and Clarence Mitchell. A lot of crazy stories

[Janie Tumlinson *********]
Report · 1:04am
yes I agree

[You]
Report · 1:05am
The only reason anybody knows you exist is as a result of a letter written by a Richard Peck in 1965

[Janie Tumlinson ********]
Report · 1:06am
Never heard of him but I seem to be in quite a few places on the internet. Who was Richard Peck

[You]
Report · 1:07am
He was trying to enter a partnership with Clarence Mitchell (he had money), and he sent private investigators to Hood River to find out what they could about your parents.

Report · 1:09am
Arre you related to Mr Peck?

[You]
Report · 1:09am
If you go to http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... eralta.htm scroll down to the "Richard Peck Story". You will see the letters from he and his investigators.
No relation at all. I have just been trying to run down as much history on the Stone Maps as I could for the last 10 or so years.

Report · 1:12am
history?

[You]
Report · 1:15am
Absolutely. There are a lot of people that claim that the stone maps are a hoax and your father was part of it. I have always said that a person's actions speak volumes, and your father's actions were not those of someone perpetrating a hoax, after all, he kept their existence mostly a secret from 1949 until he passed away in 1961.

Report · 1:17am
you're right he wasn't perpetrating a hoax and he did keep their existence pretty much a secret all that time.

[You]
Report · 1:18am
See, I live in Los Angeles. I am a little far from Apache Junction, Arizona to spend much time in the Superstitions trying to run down theories on solutions to the stones. What I have been doing for several years is to try and separate the wheat from the chaff (so to speak) when it comes to the stories regarding your father, Clarence Mitchell, MOEL Inc, and all the different stories.

[Janie Tumlinson ************]
Report · 1:19am
i/m so glad you found me. I am writing a book about my life, including all the past history of my family.
I am continually gathering information about forefathers, their lives and the stones

[You]
Report · 1:21am
Anything I can do to help, just let me know. I personally believe that the stone maps are authentic (Jesuit from the 1700s or Mexican from the 1800s I don't know). In the Peck Letters, he mentions two things 1. Another stone that had an Indian Face on it 2. A manuscript your father wrote regarding his adventures with the stone maps. Do you know anything about either of those? Peck seems to think you took the manuscript to Texas and your Great Uncle Robert T. told one of his investigators about the other stone

Report · 1:23am
Yes, I have the manuscript he wrote and remember him sitting at the typewriter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Janie Tumlinson **********]
Report · 1:38am
Ok, that would be great. I would appreciate it if you keep my [personal contact information] as quiet as you can. I have had others in the past find me but I haven't welcomed it. I [more personal information]
As you can see from the bold red texts that she specifically said her dad did not hoax the stone maps. She also agreed that he kept them pretty much a secret while he had them.

In Garry's post he states that she told him he was the first to contact her, then in our conversation she said she had been found previously "but did not welcome it." So, since Garry was the first to find her, she must have been speaking about him when she sad that to me. This may be why she said what she did about her dad carving the stones. Likely she figured that if everybody thought her dad hoaxed the stones, then they would lose interest and she could use her maiden name and write her book in peace.

My general impression is that she is very frustrated at not being able to use her maiden name without people running her down and asking a million questions about her dad and the stone maps.

So there you have it. My secret source! LOL

Best-Mike
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Garry,

I hope you noticed that I referred her to your website! HAHAHA

Mike
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Garry,
In response to your quote from Elbert Love's Letter concerning Bob Tumlinson's statement that "Travis was crazy to sell the stones", I think you should reread the entire letter.

First; Love states that Bob did not know Travis was dead. He only knew that Mitchell had bought the stones. Bob must have wrongly assumed that Travis sold them. Not one person has ever made the pronouncement that Travis had ever attempted to sell the stones.

When I say he kept them mostly a secret while he had them, that does not mean he didn't show them to some close friends and make plans with them to try and recover any treasure. I have a few sites here in California that I have been working on for many years. Even though I may have shown them to a couple of people I know, does not mean that I have not kept them mostly a secret. There are two that are so obvious I could get an article in National Geographic if I wanted to publish the site. Travis could have easily gotten the Life Magazine Article himself if he had wanted.

Mikle
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mike,

Let me see if I have this correct......

Larry Webb contacted Janie back in 2007. She told him that Travis had carved the Stone Maps himself.

In 2008, 2010 and 2011, Garry and Carol visited Janie and her family in person. Her story never changed, and they were welcomed into her home, as well as being introduced to other members of the family and welcomed into their homes.* In most of that time, Garry maintained contact with the family.

That's five years of personal contact where their stories never changed. There is no mention of Janie writing a book. In addition to that, additional informatio was given to Garry which helped to support Janie's original story.

Now, two months ago, the story changes and Janie is writing a book. At this time, you have not mentioned a face to face contact with your source (Janie), nor told us how long you have been in contact.

Is that a correct summation of what has taken place?

Take care,

Joe

*It may be that I read that into Garry's posts, and it's not a fact.
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Joe,

That about sums it up.

Your post seems quite accusatory towards me. Is my feeling in error, because that is how it comes across? Have you ever known me to lie or distort the truth in any matter or on any subject? I have to tell you that the more I reread your post, the more offensive it seems to me.

I don't personally know Garry or Larry Web. I only know what was told to me through conversations I had. As I stated previously, only two possibilities exist for the truth:

1. Janie didn't tell Garry the truth for whatever reasons she may have had.

2. Janie didn't tell me the truth for whatever her reasons.

There is a third possibility, but it is VERY remote:

3. The person I got the information from was not Janie Tumlinson. Since I haven't met her face-to-face, I have to admit the possibility, but for other reasons that I can't disclose, I personally don't consider this plausible.

I have not had any face to face discussions with her. I promised her that I wouldn't disclose our method of contact or any of her contact information. If Garry wishes to contact me directly via email or PM I will be more than happy to provide him with her city of residence, married name, and her husbands name.

I have to say again Joe, that frankly I am somewhat shocked and offended that you would be so quick to jump on me in such an accusatory manner. I have never lied to you, nor exaggerated the truth of anything I have ever posted. I sincerely hope this is not a true indication of yourself. I have always thought better of you than that (even though we haven't always agreed on ever subject).

Mike