Kino's Gold the LDM?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Re: Kino's Gold the LDM?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

alan m wrote:Mike
I will go through my research notes and find the source of my information on Rapicanni.
As for the book Dead Padres and Gold I have been searching for that book for years.
Best Regards
Alan
Alan,

It's not an easy book to find. Even harder to find it with the folded, loose map in the back.

Good luck!

Joe Ribaudo
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

If Marie Celeste Jones had described the "alabaster" cross as having been made from "calcite" or "caliche",would the story make more sense? Alabaster is after all calcite,deposits of which can be found in many places in the mountains,perhaps even high on Weavers Needle.Such a cross could be easily carved,or even made from caliche on site and meant to be a pointer to another location,only visible from that position. :?:

Regards:SH.
alan m
Part Timer

Post by alan m »

Hello
The story of the cross on Weavers Needle has had me chasing my tail for a few years now. I checked the sources listed by Curt Gentry,"Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver" and found no mention of a cross or Weavers Needle, I also checked his second source which was Sims Ely's book and again found no mention of any cross associated with the needle. It was while I was researching a place listed on Juan Nentvigs map of Sonora, a place known as the wells of San Pedro that I came across the Pima legend of Kino and the cross. The story does not describe what the cross was made of nor exactly where Kino placed it. It only tells of a journey that Kino made with some of the tribes elders to "The dwelling of the storm spirits".
It could be that the cross was made of caliche and yes it would make it more plausable.
Best Regards
Alan
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Somehiker wrote:If Marie Celeste Jones had described the "alabaster" cross as having been made from "calcite" or "caliche",would the story make more sense? Alabaster is after all calcite,deposits of which can be found in many places in the mountains,perhaps even high on Weavers Needle.Such a cross could be easily carved,or even made from caliche on site and meant to be a pointer to another location,only visible from that position. :?:

Regards:SH.
Speaking for myself, yes it would make it more believable.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Alan,

[It was while I was researching a place listed on Juan Nentvigs map of Sonora, a place known as the wells of San Pedro that I came across the Pima legend of Kino and the cross. The story does not describe what the cross was made of nor exactly where Kino placed it. It only tells of a journey that Kino made with some of the tribes elders to "The dwelling of the storm spirits".]

Can you tell us where you found this Pima legend? If not, I understand.

Take care,

Joe
alan m
Part Timer

Post by alan m »

Hello Joe
I have about 5 suitcases of notes, booklets and maps. I know its in one of them.
If I can track it down I will pass the info on to you.
Best Regards
Alan
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Alan,

That's a very kind offer. I am always interested in Native American history and lore. Sounds like your filing system is the same as mine.

Take care,

Joe