2010 Rendezvous

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
zentull
Expert

2010 Rendezvous

Post by zentull »

The 6th annual Dutch Hunter rendezvous is scheduled for October 22nd 23rd and 24th at the Dons camp just off Peralta road on the 109th anniversary of Jacob Waltz's death. Our Guest speaker for Saturday night this year is Author Jack San Felice. Jack will be giving a presentation on J.D Walker. The gate to the camp should be open Thursday afternoon for our out of town guests and other early arrivals. Remember there is no water available at the site, but there are rest rooms on site. All fires must be contained and horses should be kept in the upper camp area adjacent to the entry gate.

Our Saturday night campfire has seen such guest speakers as Clay Worst, Dr Thomas Glover, Jesse Feldman, Bob Corbin, Jack San Felice and others. The Friday night campfire will be open to any and all speakers.

Saturday morning we will be taking a hike to Geronimos cave. For those interested we will be leaving early and in 2 groups. The more adventurous will follow up Cardiac and take the cave trail to Devils slide. For those who are looking for something less challenging, there will be a 2nd group hiking the Peralta trail to the cave.

As there are 3 separate sites with active forums concerning the LDM, I have asked Paul Shimek to provide information on the Desert USA forum, Joe Ribaudo on the Treasure net site and Randy and I will post and field questions here on the Lost Dutchman site.

Several years ago Kraig mentioned that it would be fitting to have some sort of award or recognition of Dutch Hunters at the rendezvous. We have never been able to make something workable but did provide recognition each year in the way of our guest speakers and/or coffee cups. I would like some ideas on how to rectify and incorporate this in a better way. I hope we also can give some recognition to the surviving families of those who came before us in this way. I have an outline of what I think would work, but would like to hear from everyone on their thoughts and suggestions before I move forward on this
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Re: 2010 Rendezvous

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Carolyn and I will provide stew and garlic toast 'til it runs out Friday night. Roger will provide salad. Anyone who wishes to add their own dish to the mix is more than welcome. We have an 18 Qt. Nesco cooker that we fill up, so that will feed a pretty good crowd. We ran out last year, so if your late, you may find an empty pot.

Saturday morning, we will have mom's Italian Sausage Gravy and home made biscuits. Same deal. We serve it 'til it's gone.

We bring a gas barbecue, and everyone is welcome to use it whenever they like. We always bring ourselves steaks for Saturday night, but you can all do your own thing. We will have shade and tables set up all weekend. We have a few extra chairs, but you should bring your own.

You should bring your own drinks, and a little firewood never hurts. We had more kids and wives last year than ever before. I believe they all enjoyed the weekend.

Wayne, Greg and Randy do us all a great service by setting this event up every year. Make your plans now, and don't miss out on the Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous.......again.

I will be happy to answer all questions.

See you there,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Randy and I will be at the Dons camp this Sunday doing some routine cleanup before the rendezvous. Anyone who wants to lend a hand is more than welcome.

The latest posters for the Rendezvous will be going up around Apache Junction and I hope to utilize them to direct everyone in to the Dons camp for the rendezvous as well. Flyers will be left at the appropriate locations .

Both flyers and posters direct folks here to this website, so hopefully we will get a bit of traffic and curious inquiries as the next few weeks roll by. Thank you to everyuone for the compliments and suggestions from the last few weeks. My work schedule has been pretty hectic and the usual responsibilities around the home front seemed to have increased.

That being said I am looking forward to getting away from it all here in twenty or so days..........
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Just got in after cleaning up the Dons camp and clearing out the fire pit in the main ramada. Everythings in pretty good shape now, though we could use a bit of firewood for the main campfires on Friday and Saturday night. It was down to Randy, my son Trevor and myself(The others had a bad case of Saturday night and couldn't make it out of bed), but we had things in order pretty quick and Trevor and I headed up the trail to Carney Springs not wanting to waste such a nice morning. Randy meanwhile was heading to the hospital.........don't ask, some folks have no luck is all I can say!

We went by the QCU but didn't find Howard about, so drifted over to the Donnelly stables and then broke for a late lunch.

The posters for the Rendezvous are up at various locations and I visited with Louie at the Bluebird and the Feldmans briefly.

Couldn't have asked for a nicer morning and I will post a few pics up in the Archives of the mornings activities when I get a chance.
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Great! Can't say thank you enough for the stuff you and Randy (and Trevor) do to make this happen.

Hope Randy's ok.

See you soon.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Randy was back out that evening with just a mild concussion but sent me a text earlier this afternoon and his left foot is big as a watermelon. Initial tests showed it wasn't broken, but it looked like hell.

Anyone got some bubble wrap that we can wrap him up in until the Rendezvous?
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

For those who missed the 2010 Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous, you missed a really good one.

Once again, Wayne and Randy did a good job of running the show. We can thank Greg Davis for having the Don's Club donate their facilities again.

Bob Corbin was with us agin, and for the first time Tom and Sharon Kollenborn attended.
They brought Bucky along, which good for all us ear scratchers. :) I believe they will probably not miss next years event.

It was a big crowd, and we only had a small bowl of stew left after Friday nights dinner.
Roger brought the salad again and Jerry's wife, Mellisa brought some great (spicy) soup.
Paul brought his lovely wife Connie along this time and she was a pleasure to have in camp.

For those who made it, our thanks for making the event a success. For those who couldn't be there.........maybe next year.

Take care,

Joe
Roger
Part Timer

2010 Rendezvous

Post by Roger »

I would also like to give a big THANKS to Wane, Randy, and Greg for another successful Rendezvous. Having made all 6 of them, I believe this one to be the best attended by the "sages" of LDM/Arizona history - Tom Kollenborn, Bob Corbin, Bob Schoose, Jack San Felice, Jack Carlson, Greg Davis, Kraig Roberts, etc. Wished Clay Worst could have made it as he was planning to do so, but his wife was having health issues. That would have made the "sage" attendance perfect. Lots of campfire stories were told and probably a few "secrets". Thanks, too, to Joe and Carolyn for their well set up camp and food for all. Their biscuits with sausage gravy is my all time favorite!

The Saturday night campfire talk by Jack San Felice was well attended with a good number of new folks I had not seen before, so maybe the Apache Junction flyers brought in some new participants. His info on John Walker was very interesting and John was surely an influential Arizona pioneer. Overall, was one of the best Rendezvous' so far and the event continues to grow.

For those who didn't make it this year, mark your calendar for the 3rd weekend in October and keep it open for 2011!!

Roger
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

A big thank you to everyone who helped make this year's Rendezvous a success from me as well! My wife had a good time and I appreciated everyone making her feel so welcome!

I wasn't around camp as much as I had been in the past, and I owe some of you a huge one for all the time you waited for me for the hike that I never made (sorry!!!). I tried my best to get Connie all over the area as much as possible - both a little hiking as well as just sightseeing so she had a better idea of the area. I'm not sure she fell in love with it all yet, but she's certainly open to the possiblity of moving there someday, so that's a huge positive for me :).

Hope to stay in touch with you all again throughout the next year.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Sorry I've been missing in action since the Rendezvous, but work has been even busier and I am still trying to catch my breathe. In fact my tent and gear is still sitting in a pile at the front of my garage tonight.

Thanks to everyone for such an awesome time. Trevor was pretty overwhelmed and is on chapter 8 of his book he is writing about the rendezvous. I promise to put it up once he is done.

As soon as I get the chance I will do a nice wrap up on everything.