borrego13

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
don
Part Timer

borrego13

Post by don »

Does anyone know how or where I can get a hold of a copy of Gene Reynolds borrego 13?
regards
Don update your email address
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Re: borrego13

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Try the Superstition Mountain Museum. They may still have a few of his CD left for sale. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Hi Greg,

Hope all is well with you.

Have you heard anything from or about Gene since he rolled into Apache Junction? He called me as soon as he got into his Motel room and told me he had just had a stroke. I told him he should go to the hospital, but he wouldn't leave the gear he had in his truck.

Not a peep from him since.

Take care,

Joe
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

don wrote:Does anyone know how or where I can get a hold of a copy of Gene Reynolds borrego 13?
regards
Don,

It is an interesting story, although a little too much I, Me, My from time to time.

Final evaluation: The "mine" that Gene claims is the "Lost Gonzales" IS NOT! Every description of the Lost Gonzales Mine says that it was worked on and off from the early 1700s until about 1848 when Indian attacks killed off the last of the Gonzales Family that was willing to work their mine. The description of the ore that came out was that of almost pure gold with almost no attached quartz.

I have been in Gene's "Mine and found it is not much more than a prospect. It is twenty-five feet from opening to the back of the mine. Two men could have done that in the fractured granite in two or three seasons at most (about eight feet per season minimum).

I think that Gene spent several years living in Borrego Springs and Anza-Borrego Desert searching for this mine. After those years, when time, money, and patience ran out, he grabbed onto a mine in the area the mine's description places it, and called it "FOUND!"

Here are pictures of the mine:

Here is a pic from the back of the mine to the entrance:

Sorry, but the Lost Gonzales Gold Mine is still LOST!

Best-Mike
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Also,

Here are pictures of the quartz vein ore. It doesn't match the description of the Lost Gonzales Ore.

Best-Mike

Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mike and Don,

Over the years there were many exchanges of phone calls and email's between Gene and myself. We got to know each other fairly well. In fact, I was the one who badgered him into publishing "Borrego 13" in CD form. The one constant throughout our friendship, was Gene's ever present need for cash. If he had truly marketed his CD, he might have been able to make the effort worthwhile.

I have no illusions as to Gene's nature, but believe his book has a lot to offer. If the museum has copies of the CD, I would suggest anyone interested purchase one and make their own judgement.

Gene may have been a "character", but he had a unique and interesting story to tell. That probably describes most Dutch Hunters.

Take care,

Joe
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Joe,

I wholeheartedly agree.

Every time I spoke or corresponded with Gene, he was ALWAYS more than kind. He shared a lot of information and I highly recommend reading the book. It contains a lot of information you will find nowhere else. Maybe I came off a little too critical in my previous post, but I absolutely recommend getting the book.

When I first started hunting the Lost Gonzales Mine, I was using some proprietary information, the Ruth Correspondences from Garry, some info from Chuck Kenworthy, and Borrego 13. All have been helpful, but the Lost Gonzales is still lost! HAHAHA

Best-Mike
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

Mike & Joe
Thanks for the background to the story,and especially the photos.In every dutchman book we need to take everything with a pinch of salt I guess,so in that way "Borrego13" wouldnt be that different....but anyhow its a moot point for me ,cos the museum (as far as I could see ) didnt have it listed so...
regards
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Don: Borrego 13 is not on the list of available items for sale. Send an email to the Superstition Mountain Museum, attention Barbara Atkinson, Gift Shop Manager. As of last count they had about 10 copies of the CD. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

O.k Greg....Ill do that..thanks