What REALLY happened to Adolph Ruth?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Mike McChesney
Expert

Re: What REALLY happened to Adolph Ruth?

Post by Mike McChesney »

Dr Hrdlicka did not state any caliber weapon used in either the initial or final draft of his findings:

In the Initial Draft, he states high powered gun with the high powered part lined through.

In the Final Draft, he states that Ruth was likely killed by means of a shot from a gun.

THAT is not the interesting part of Dr. Hrdlicka's Report though.
The condition of the skull indicated that death occurred not more
than a few months ago.
Considering the fact that Adolph Ruth went missing in the middle of June and Hrdlicka stated that death had occurred no more than a few months prior says to me that there is a chance that Ruth was held for a couple of months before being killed. That and the fact that the location where the skeleton was found had been searched over during the initial search.

Mike
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

ooooooooooops;
Considering the fact that Adolph Ruth went missing in the middle of June and Hrdlicka stated that death had occurred no more than a few months prior
.......prior to the examination date of December 19th 1931.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mike,

"In the Final Draft, he states that Ruth was likely killed by means of a shot from a gun."

Actually, I have a copy of the final draft from the Smithsonian. As Garry can confirm, I lost a $50. bet to him, and he received a picture of me placing it in the Salvation Army bucket to prove it.

I was on your side, but it was not "a shot from a gun" in the final draft. It was from a "shotgun". The scan of the letter does not blow up well, but you can take my word it says "shotgun".

Take care,

Joe
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Hey Joe,

I just went back and read it again. In his final summation paragraph, he does state "shot with a gun", but earlier in the report it does say "shot to death by a shotgun or large caliber rifle".

I would have lost that bet myself. HAHAHA

Even with that, he never stated any specific caliber.

What are your thoughts on Ruth's being missing for six months, but Hrdlicka stating he had only been dead a few months. I wouldn't think a body laying out in the mountains for six months would have any clinging flesh left (what with bugs, blowflies and their maggots, etc).

Mike
Oroblanco
Part Timer

Post by Oroblanco »

Klondyke wrote
What the locals did not know is there were other things sent to the Smithsonian that lay untouched for years until a bright researcher asked about a button that was difficult to explain.

The button is still there.

A companion button is still in our favorite mine in Boulder Canyon.
Are you referring to a button with some letters and "PARIS" on the back? Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

Cubfan64 wrote:don - heck, if we stuck to the things that are known as fact and not speculate, there wouldn't be much to talk about in these LDM forums :)
Well Cubfan....I guess you have a very good point there :lol: I accept that .
It might be well to remember that the identification of Ruths skull initially was made by Brownie who made the preposterous (in my opinion) statement that he recognised the skull as Ruths (having seen Ruth when he was alive).Now Ive never had the opportunity (and never want to) of knowing whether I could recognise any acquaintance after he/she had died by virtue of looking at that persons skull devoid of any flesh hair etc.....I doubt whther anyone could make a positive identification in that situation.
Again the opinion was ,by I think the leader of the archeological expedition at the time of the skulls discovery, that it was the skull of an Indian,possibly of ancient origin. Now its been stated that Ruths skull was finally positively identified by dental records when his skull was packed off to wherever ......from what i can gather theres no confirmation that that particular examination took place.....its just what is said as far as I know. Id say there was room to argue whether or not it was even Ruths skull at all....the time frame of the findingof the skull obviously is convenient ,the apparent age of the skull also.....but if it wasnt ruths skull then a lot of these theories are blown completely out of the water...........
regards
Don update your email address
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Don,

"Again the opinion was ,by I think the leader of the archeological expedition at the time of the skulls discovery, that it was the skull of an Indian,possibly of ancient origin."

That's an interesting opinion, since it's been reported that the skull was still "green". Bits of flesh on an ancient skull might have been their first hint that the event was fresh. 8O

Take care,

Joe
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

Joe Ribaudo wrote:Don,

"Again the opinion was ,by I think the leader of the archeological expedition at the time of the skulls discovery, that it was the skull of an Indian,possibly of ancient origin."

That's an interesting opinion, since it's been reported that the skull was still "green". Bits of flesh on an ancient skull might have been their first hint that the event was fresh. 8O

Take care,

Joe
Hi Joe,
Well Im only quoting what was written....now if you going to put me on the spot and ask for the reference Ill do my level best to find it.....but it might take a while.....As for the skull "still being green"..now who reported that,when I say who reported it I mean who reported it first hand.....Im betting it was Holmesy :lol: .....a better question might be ...was there official corrorobation of the "greenness"? or is it just another hand me down tale?
be good
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Don,

That's a very good question. I know I have seen it in a number of places, but would need to go through a few box's to find something official looking. :)

Take care,

Joe
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

Just as matter of interest, does anyone agree that anyone (hrdlicka) who could even momentarily mistake a pistol bullet wound for a shotgun wound should have been barred for all time from ever giving his opinion on gunshot wounds again? :roll:
novice
Expert

Post by novice »

Don and Joe

Take a look at the Lost Dutchman Mine Documents page.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... tchman.htm

Scroll down to the Arizona Republic Archeological Expedition.

Search the document for "green"

Use the quotes in your search.

Garry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Thanks Garry,

I knew the information from the report was out there, but the mind couldn't remember the trail to it.

[There was an abrupt halt to the train, and an abrupt silence over the expedition. Under the shadowy branches of a palo verde tree, Music was staring at the sightless eyes of a skull.
Horses were hastily tied to anything handy while the whole party gathered around for closer examination. It was at once evident that the skull was “green” or relatively new. Bits of flesh were immediately noticeable at many points.
“Looks Like Ruth”
“Brownie and Richie Lewis, both of whom had known him, suddenly exclaimed:
“Why that looks like the skull of that old man, Ruth!”]

Believe that's as close as we can get to something that
"looks official". Your site is becoming THE PLACE for this kind of research.

Take care,

Joe
novice
Expert

Post by novice »

Don,

Just another note. I don't think Hrdlicka ever used the term pistol?

On the same page scroll down to the Hrdlicka-Halseth Correspondence Link

Page 9 of the pdf or Page 7 on the face of the page [Looks like I screwed something up in the numbering] of that link is the final version of Hrdlicka's report. (death by a shot gun or large caliber rifle)

The previous page is apparently the rough draft of Hrdlicka's report. (Page 8 or Page 6)(high powered gun)

Garry
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

Novice,

Certainly a wealth of information there,thanks for sharing it,I for one am obliged

Just another note. I don't think Hrdlicka ever used the term pistol?

Garry[/quote]
No perhaps not, but Shot gun and rifle and gun(gun I would take to mean a pistol).surely there must be an awful lot of difference between the wounds each of those weapons would make. How easy would it be for a professional to be unsure and still retain his professional integrity ?

Horses were hastily tied to anything handy while the whole party gathered around for closer examination. It was at once evident that the skull was “green” or relatively new. Bits of flesh were immediately noticeable at many points.
“Looks Like Ruth”
“Brownie and Richie Lewis, both of whom had known him, suddenly exclaimed:
“Why that looks like the skull of that old man, Ruth!”]
unquote

AM I the only one who finds Holmes and Lewis remark faintly ridicolous?I could almost imagine Holmes saying "Yes Sirree! Why...Id recognise Ruths skull anywhere! :lol:
Im not sure if that part wasnt "creative reporting" or whatever.
Again the "green issue"..not trying to nitpick here but theres 2 possibilities ,either the green story was creative reporting again,and newspaper article(s) were where it originated from and repeated thro the years......or it was in fact green....now if it was ,with all the problems that greeness creates for the official verdict and timing of Ruths death....then why wasnt more made of it? But of course there is another possibility I suppose....that being that the "greeness" wasnt necessarily indicative of Ruths death at a later time than the natural death theory/verdict implies. Its ok for "armchair detectives" :lol: to pontificate and state without fear of contradiction that the "greenness" (that word again ) is proof positive that Ruth must have died 3 months later or whatever....but is it? Im not an expert in the decomposition of human flesh in certain atmospheric or associated conditions,and plainly dont know..Id imagine an experts opinion might be handy here.
Anyone have access to the official report on Ruths remains?

I note also that the "identification " of Ruths skull seems to have been decided on "similiarities" rather than much else,though even there it seems there wasnt total agreement .
quotes from Novices files....
"
Dr. James J. LaSalle agreed with the forehead indications, but pointed to an apparent difference in the length of the nose. Dr. Brown disagreed with this point of view to some extent and it was agreed that accurate measurement was not possible

Dr. Claude M. Moore, dental surgeon, said the upper jaw showed that the person whose skull it was had either worn false teeth or had been for many years without teeth. The upper jaw was worn smooth and gave no indication of tooth sockets.
He said it was impossible to determine which of the two instances had been the case
)

Dr. Orville Harry Brown pointed out that many characteristics of the skull agreed with characteristics evident in photographs of Dr. Ruth in the files of the Arizona Republic_k Odd S. Halseth, archeologist for the archeological commission of the city of Phoenix and for the expedition said he could not determine definitely whether the skull was that of a white man or Indian, but would begin minute measurements today with a view to checking them against anthropological tables for final decision.

"It gives many indications," he said, "of being a skull of comparatively recent date. I have seen and excavated skulls hundreds of years old, however bearing an eequivalent amount of skin andhoenix Pathologists yesterday continued their examination of the skull and comparisons with photographs of Ruth in Arizona Republic files, but last night had reached no more definite conclusions than those they offered after preliminary examination Saturday night.

The concensus was that the skull had enough determinable points of similarity to Ruth’s pictures to be his, yet conditions were such that it might be of considerably more age than could possibly be that of Ruth, who disappeared in May.
""
Some partially conflicting views there......I believe it was Hrdlicka who said the skull was that of a white man aged around 60 at the time of the examination....unfortunately Ruth was 77 ,but as that fact wasnt known in 31,I guess we can forgive Hrdlickas confusion on that issue.....maybe someone should of told him before he did the examination.:lol:
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

Thanks once again Novice ..theres an awful lot here..didnt realise just how much at first..going to take a look at the "collections "pages later........
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Don, you asked...
That's a WHOLE NUTHER can of worms!!! There have been claims of seeing official copies of the sheriff's reports, but to my knowledge none have made it into the "public eye" so to speak.

I may have my dates wrong, but I believe a year or so ago someone checked with the sheriff's office and discovered that the files on that case had passed the point where they needed to be retained any longer and were disposed of (50 years sounds right, but I'm not sure?). I still find it hard to believe that official copies of records of a case like that wouldn't have ended up in some LDM collector's files - it was a nationally publicized case and involved the search for the lost dutchman mine - nobody can convince me that there wasn't interest in seeing those official records between 1931 and 1981.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Paul,

I checked with the Sheriff's Dept. Those records were destroyed. That does not mean someone did not get copies of them. I would still like to know who sealed them and why.

As long as we are discussing Ruth's death, where and how he died, I thought I might post a previous opinion of mine from this site:

Wayne,

"Remember also that Clay was very clear that Erwin never entered the mountains during the search for Adolph. Erwin is a poor eye witness to give any reliable testimony concerning his Fathers camp or whereabouts."

Before Tex's death, Tom K. Specifically asked Tex about Ruth's route into Willow Spring. Tex swore they came in from Second Water. This is something Tom and I disagree about, but I completely understand his belief in what Tex told him. It's interesting that Tom felt it was an important question to ask.

It is understandable why they would change the trail that Ruth took to Willow Spring, if the key to the mystery is on that ridge, and I believe it is. The "guides" had to back up whatever story Tex or Cal told them, because they were up to their necks as prime suspects in a possible murder.

I believe Tex knew where the body was......all along. They took it to Black Top Mesa to move the search away from Willow Spring. That area was a hotbed of Dutch hunting activity for many years. Of course that's where Ruth would end up. Who would even question it?

The end of the trail on the Stone Maps is in Little Boulder Canyon. It is in the center of the heart and is depicted as a triangle. Just south of the triangle is a hat shaped mark. That hat shape is on the ridge, and in the correct location. South of that are the two monuments, both marked on the ridge. The trail comes out of West Boulder up and over the ridge, down along the east side and curves into Little Boulder.
It ends at the circle in a circle, which is between the triangle and the hat shape. The circle in a circle is very close to where the heart is.

Is this the "secret" information that Adolph Ruth carried in his head? Could he have been looking for the heart, or did he climb straight up the ridge to the mine or the monuments?

This topic is meant to create speculation and theories that center on Adolph Ruth knowing where he wanted to camp, and that place being Willow Spring. It seems important to know who was camped there ahead of him. I assume Matthew knows, but is unable to tell us.

It's been 78 years now. Surely no one can be hurt by the truth at this late date. If they can be, it indicates some serious guilt accompanies the facts.

Take care,

Joe

Kraig Roberts.....Matthew, Aurum, LDM Gold.....etc., has hinted (strongly) that he has private (somewhat secret) information about Ruth's death. Personally, I doubt anyone has "factual" information, although it's known that rumors have been floating around since Ruth's death, and over the many years of repetition those rumors have likely become "fact" for many people.

If anyone has "inside" information on Ruth's death, I would put my money on it being Clay Worst. On the other hand, Bob Corbin was sure to have the inside connections to reach that report. :idea:

I am reminded of the Frank Alkire story........fabrication. Another story that took on "factual" status was the $250,000.00 worth of Waltz ore shipments to the Sacramento Mint. Despite the cold hard facts from Wells Fargo denying such shipments ever took place and despite the fact that there was never a "Mint" in Sacramento, many people still swear it all took place.

My story (above) is about as good as any.

Take care,

Joe
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Joe, you said...
I checked with the Sheriff's Dept. Those records were destroyed. That does not mean someone did not get copies of them. I would still like to know who sealed them and why.
I have no reason do doubt that those records were destroyed - I never really questioned that when I heard it. What I can't believe is that nobody got ahold of copies (in one way or another) during those 50 years.

I can't remember where the idea that those records were "sealed" came from, but I'll look into that this week sometime if I can - I wonder if that's just another one of those "word of mouth" things that was never officially documented anywhere. When the discussion came up on the forum about the records and a number of people checked with the sheriff's office, I got the overall impression that nobody had ever asked to see those files before - and now they're gone - THAT'S the part I find hard to believe.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Paul,

I am with you on that. I would imagine that a number of Dutch Hunters were counting down the days until those records were unsealed.

I went to a trusted insider to get my information from the Sheriff's Office. It did not come from calling or walking up to the front desk for the information.

Take care,

Joe
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

Re joes last post
Ill ask this question in as diplomatic a way as AN ignorant person can :lol: Did a certain family have enough "influence" around the 80s and pre 80s to with hold or ""make unavailable" those official records ? I asked a similar question few years ago and was given short shrift.....even an abusive PM :roll:
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

don wrote:Re joes last post
Ill ask this question in as diplomatic a way as AN ignorant person can :lol: Did a certain family have enough "influence" around the 80s and pre 80s to with hold or ""make unavailable" those official records ? I asked a similar question few years ago and was given short shrift.....even an abusive PM :roll:
I don't know that we'll ever know the answer to that question either - I'd even make it one step further removed and ask if ANYONE had the power and/or influence to make those records unavailable? One would think that even in the 1930's, there had to be rules and regulations to follow concerning criminal investigation records, but then again we know there's corruption everywhere and always has been - I would guess that with enough influence and/or money and the right people in the right places, it could be made virtually impossible to get access to records like that if the people involved didn't want them to be.
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

Funnily enough,and probabley coincidental,Ive just recalled that some years ago,after reading of Purnell and K eenans supposed court case over a disputed map ownership issue held in judge standages(?) court in Mesa.(.forget what year.....come to that I forget where Id read it,prob Thunder GODS gold.....)..... I tried to find out more....contacted somewhere or other after requesting info and was told by email that the records were available and that if I wanted to purchase copy to get back in touch to arrange purchase etc......when I emailed back I was told no copies from that period were available..complete turnaround..Believe I asked Gregg davies on here,and got a "Ill look into it" answer but never got a reply either in public or private....ho hum
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

don wrote:Funnily enough,and probabley coincidental,Ive just recalled that some years ago,after reading of Purnell and K eenans supposed court case over a disputed map ownership issue held in judge standages(?) court in Mesa.(.forget what year.....come to that I forget where Id read it,prob Thunder GODS gold.....)..... I tried to find out more....contacted somewhere or other after requesting info and was told by email that the records were available and that if I wanted to purchase copy to get back in touch to arrange purchase etc......when I emailed back I was told no copies from that period were available..complete turnaround..Believe I asked Gregg davies on here,and got a "Ill look into it" answer but never got a reply either in public or private....ho hum
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

Cubfan64 wrote:Don, you asked...
That's a WHOLE NUTHER can of worms!!! There have been claims of seeing official copies of the sheriff's reports, but to my knowledge none have made it into the "public eye" so to speak.

I may have my dates wrong, but I believe a year or so ago someone checked with the sheriff's office and discovered that the files on that case had passed the point where they needed to be retained any longer and were disposed of (50 years sounds right, but I'm not sure?). I still find it hard to believe that official copies of records of a case like that wouldn't have ended up in some LDM collector's files - it was a nationally publicized case and involved the search for the lost dutchman mine - nobody can convince me that there wasn't interest in seeing those official records between 1931 and 1981.

It sounds a bit sinister doesnt it?..be interesting to know whether all the case files on every crime etc for that same year have been "disposed" of as well.....if they havent...
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Don,

The definitive answer to your question is.......maybe/probably. I have heard of another death in that country where the details were kept quiet. I believe that extended to the death certificate. Now what I have just said should be considered one of those pesky rumors. You won't find it in print.....anywhere, which bodes well for it never becoming "fact".

Take care,

Joe