The Holmes Onyx mines

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
zentull
Expert

The Holmes Onyx mines

Post by zentull »

Recently while perusing the bits and pieces of stuff from Gregs, I revisited the October 8th 1891 contract between Holmes Sr and Aaron Mason(Of the Two Soldiers fame)

What I believe has gone unmentioned before is that this contract was over the sale of the Holmes Onyx mine to Mason. In Thomas Glovers "Golden Dream" there is a question of which Holmes was mentioned in the news as returning from the Onyx mines around the time of Waltzs death. It seems pretty clear that it was most likely the Senior Holmes and if Dick was in his company it would have likely been mentioned. The sale was for 35,000 dollars and while Dick Holmes had been involved in other business with his father, I would think the Senior Holmes would be present himself in wrapping up such a large capital venture.

Richard Holmes Senior was at least an equal partner if not more in this venture and he had included Dick in other contracts, so it should be easy speculation that around the time of Waltzs death Dick would have been given another lift up by his father. I say this because the Thomas/Petrasch/Holmes feud is given no mention anywhere in the press that would report a man swearing in front of Women and children, A man slapping a horse or even the slightest sign of a feud(real or imaginary). Somehow a struggling divorcee(and prominent business owner) making a fuss over a man stealing from a friends deathbed was not newsworthy?

Meanwhile in January 1897 we have a look at how well this all worked out either way for Dick Holmes. It is noted in the papers that he just sold a recently established claim at an Onyx mine for 5000 dollars...........

Oh, he was also able to quit his job as a dish washer at Coffee Als with this new windfall.

It seems obvious that Dick Holmes did not have a good handle on these sudden bursts of wealth, he was working at a furniture store after that well ran dry.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
djui5
Expert

Re: The Holmes Onyx mines

Post by djui5 »

8O
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Knun
Part Timer

Post by Knun »

Zentull,
Actually it wasn't sold for 35,000. There is another post on this very subject that discusses this.

However, in that discussion it was not clear who was involved, the father or the son, and the timing is of interest. The trip coinsides with the death of Waltz so it does pertain to the story of who was in town at that time.

Of course it all is based on the writings of a newspaperman and we know how that works out for the most part.

In town, or near by, at the time of Waltz's death were Arron Mason, I believe his brother, a Holmes, others, and the rest of the usual suspects.

If I only had a time machine!
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Here is the link to the document. Can you clarify the 35,000 discrepancy since it is mentioned twice in the document. I still haven't found the sale of the other, but will keep digging.

http://156.42.40.50/UnOfficialDocs/pdf/18910001334.pdf
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
Knun
Part Timer

Post by Knun »

Zentull,
Haven't had a chance to talk to you in quite a while. Hope you and yours are doing well.

I wasn't able to open your link so I have to go with the newspaper articles I'm familiar with.

This article (Oct. 9, 1891) from the Republician:
The celebrated onyx property of Holmes and Woodson has been bonded to Aaron Mason, of Los Angeles, well known here as the former superintendant of the Silver King mine. The consideration is $35,000.00 and the terms of the bond require that no less than three men shall constantly be employed in development.

The mine was bonded or backed by Mason. Actually, no money exchanged hands. Simplisticially, if it panned out Mason would kick in.

Now Geo McCann, who owned a neiboring claim, which he had discovered the year before, did MUCH better. He became the Onyx baron (OK I made the title up!) of Arizona. Some of this is in the old capital building and even went to the world's fair.

At the time there were only four Onyx mines in the world.
armchair
Part Timer

Post by armchair »

Do you have any idea who the Woodson was?