LDM (Mine) vs. LDC (Cache)

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Mike McChesney
Expert

LDM (Mine) vs. LDC (Cache)

Post by Mike McChesney »

I know this forum doesn't get a whole lot of new posts these days, but maybe we can breathe a little life into it. I always did like it here.

On another forum, I asked about Waltz Caches instead of his mine. This brought out different versions of what Waltz said:

1. On one hand, we have Tom Glover's Book which shows Waltz telling Julia Thomas and Rhinehart Petrasch that they would go by wagon to the Board House, and since Waltz was too infirm to hike in, he would show Julia and Rhiney just where to go over the mountain to recover his caches (PLURAL: CACHES).

2. On the other hand, in Sims Ely's Book, we have Waltz talking about taking ore from his mine and making three caches with his partner (one large and two small). He moved one of the small caches after his partner left the area. He later removed another small cache. That leaves only the large cache left.

There is also a story that Henry Burns found one of Waltz' Caches behind a false wall in an old mineshaft in the 1950s. If story number 2 is correct, that leaves NO caches left to find.

So what light can be shed on this subject?

Since Waltz was in his 60s when he found his mine. He was a very wily old goat that knew his days of getting to his mine were numbered. It makes sense that he would hide several caches of ore in places he would be able to reach as he got older. I don't believe that he would hide everything in just a couple of caches.

To confuse things even more, in Ely's Book, there are multiple statements attributed to Waltz saying that the caches were near to his mine. In Glover's Book, however, Waltz said that his mine was in terrible rough country and very hard to get to, but his caches were just over the mountain from the Board House.

To me, I doubt that the caches would be close to his mine. Especially if the mine was THAT difficult to get to. The whole purpose for caching the ore was so he could get to it when he wasn't able to get to his mine any more.

Whaddaya Think?

Best-Mike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Re: LDM (Mine) vs. LDC (Cache)

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mike,

"There is also a story that Henry Burns found one of Waltz' Caches behind a false wall in an old mineshaft in the 1950s. If story number 2 is correct, that leaves NO caches left to find."

Believe you said the man's name was JOHN Burns on T-Net. Can you clarify that and the time frame? If you are talking about Doc Burns, that's antoher story.

Never heard this story, that I can remember. Can you supply a source?

Thanks,

Joe
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Hey Joe,

It's Henry Burns. It is Henry on TNet as well (I promise I didn't modify it). :D

It was from Emory Taylor's Website that is a love-in for Chuck Crawford.

Link: http://www.trilogy.threethirteens.com/t ... racy6.html

That's why I keep asking about the guy (Crawford). I know he died in '07, but I have found a lot of conflicting info about him. The one thing I know for certain is that he was very good at tooting his own horn. I know what that normally means about a treasure hunter, but since I never had any dealings with him, I don't know if there is any substance to the rhetoric. I may be a glutton for punishment, but I like to learn as much as I can about folks that were in the limelight (so to speak) for good or bad. HAHAHA

Best-Mike
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

If I had originally used John instead of Henry, it was only for about the five minutes, and when I reread it, changed it then. I know that is possible, because when I first posted the thread, I had used the name "Julia Roberts" instead of "Julia Thomas". HAHAHA

The site actually shows pics of a small cache of amethyst Crawford found that Burns had supposedly hidden from a larger cache he had found.

Best-Mike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mike,

I don't have much faith in the stories that are attached to Burns.

For anyone interested, you can get more information from this site:

http://www.trilogy.threethirteens.com/t ... index.html

Good hunting,

Joe Ribaudo
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Thanks for the input Joe. Maybe you could expound on those statements a little more??

......and again, what about all the adventures and exploits of Chuck Crawford?

Thanks-Mike
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I can't remember who it was, but there was a discussion on Chuck and Emory at the rendezvous. Bob Schoose had some anecdotes about them, but maybe Jesse, Thomas or Randy can remember what the discussion was exactly about?

I am sure Eric has no memory of that conversation!!!
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How am I going to remember that conversation?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Uh.....you were on my right and Jesse was to my left. Thomas was Left center and Bob was straight in front of me.

Eric was swaying just behind me to the left and hating the greenshirts!

" You do know it's a cartoon" was the moment of the night though. Jesse said "Can we quit talking politics and talk Dutch Hunting sometime tonight" right after that. The Crawford stuff came up a short time later.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wayne

It's possible that the Chuck Crawford subject is a little delicate right now, due to some.....irregularities in the handling of his LDM research collection. It's just a rumor, 8O but it's a pretty good one.

Are you getting your share of that white stuff up there???

Take care,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Wet and Cold most of the time........it seems where ever I am in the county I get hit by an isolated thunder shower. Yesterday the wind tore my poncho right off me.

It is a great time to hit the mountains in between storms though. The views are awesome with the clear air.