2009 rendezvous

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
azdave35
Part Timer

2009 rendezvous

Post by azdave35 »

is there going to be a dutchman rendezvous this fall?
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

There was a thread when we set the date sometime back. Greg has the Dons camp reserved for the 23rd, 24th and 25th of October 2009.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Re: 2009 rendezvous

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

The Fifth Annual Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous will be held October 23rd., 24th. and 25th. It will be located at the Don's Camp near the Peralta Trailhead. If you have any questions concerning the directions or the site, the answers are here:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/ ... 247.0.html

Wayne (Zentul) and Randy (djui5), are organizing the event again this year. You can PM or email them from this Forum for further details.

Some very knowledgeable, old time, prospectors will be attending, and they are always willing to talk and share information about their favorite subject. A number of authors will also be showing up.

At the same time, many of the really sharp newbies, relatively speaking, will also be there. It's a family friendly affair and there is plenty of space to set up your campsite. I will make dinner for Friday night, probably Mom's stew, for as many people who say they will join us. Home made bisquits and Italian sausage gravy will be available Saturday morning, until we run out.

Anyone who wants to add to those meals is welcome to bring whatever they want. I will also bring a large gas barbecue which will be available for whoever wants to use it throughout the weekend. We usually have steaks on Saturday night.....Bring your own fixin's.

The Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous is open to all who wish to attend.

Hope to see you there,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

One word of caution to the out of town and out of state attendees: The State of Arizona hasn't finished its budget still and some campgrounds are periodically shutdown. The Lost Dutchman State park was fine 2 weeks ago, but they closed before and told everyone to leave who was set up there.

I will be hauling in water, firewood and toilet paper, but the more wood the better.

I have been pulling double shifts for a few weeks now, so what free time I had I tried to spend away from the computer and with the kids.

Strange thing is the year we had division and separation with the forums and it looked bleakest was the most well attended rendezvous to date. So the fact is: the quieter the forum, the more folks turn out? Hopefully the economics and schedule work out for everyone and we can celebrate the history of the mountains and kick off the hiking season with another unique weekend.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Just to update everyone on the rendezvous, so far we have a good turn out coming into the Dons camp over the weekend. Friday night at the campfire we have Thomas Glover opening up the evening with some new research he wants to present. Following him is Jesse Feldman, to talk about his new book "Jacobs Trail". Clay Worst will also be joining us again this year.

We have no set saturday hike planned, but I am sure there will be plenty of guides if you are interested in a number of places to go.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Everything is still on as planned for the rendezvous. Jim Hatt has been very kind and has donated some Bilbrey cross replicas to be raffled off Friday night. A very awesome gesture on his part. Jim can't make it out this year, but if you get a chance, please thank him for his generosity.

Randy will be getting the gate open for the early arrivals(check with him where and when) and I will be in the vicinity, just not sure where in the mountains I will be friday morning. Campfire will be after everyones done cleaning up after dinner and Randy gets back from town.

If there is interest in a saturday hike, just throw ideas out there.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

I don't know about everyone else but I'm really excited about the rendezvous this year!! Can't wait to get out for the weekend. I'll be opening the gate Thur sometime. If anyone has questions about when please send me a PM on here or post here in this thread. Joe I'll send you an e-mail about it. See you all in a couple weeks!!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Just got off the phone with Nancy McCollough and it is unfortunate, but they will be unable to make it this year. Ken took a fall before they came down south for the winter and is still recovering. They send their best and will pass along our invitation to the rest of the family.

I will have signs at the Quarter Circle U/Peralta road junction, the trail head parking lot and the Dons camp drive to direct everyone in who is coming out for the first time.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wayne,

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about Ken's fall. As we get older, falls seem to become part of our lives. Taken a few myself. We hope he gets better quickly.

Haven't really had a lot of replies about who will join us for dinner or breakfast, just the usuall folks, but we will bring enough for 20 people and the stew will be hot and ready for those who come in Friday night. Makes setting up camp a little easier if you don't have to worry about dinner.

See you at the Rendezvous, :)

Joe & Carolyn
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Yes it does Joe and leftover stew for breakfast the next morning sounds pretty good too if you don't get enough folks to show up.

I told Roger I have some things I want to do Friday on my own for a bit, but my plan is to get to the Don's camp by around 3-4pm if at all possible.

We had our first snowfall a couple days ago - it was gone in an hour, but my mood is already darkening for yet another winter!!! My wife is starting her own consulting business now and working from home after being laid off this past spring - if it takes off and the housing market rebounds even a little bit in the next 5-10 years, I believe we may very well be Arizona bound ourselves :)

Cya soon.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Paul,

Not to put too fine a point on your post, but my nephew is in town with his family. Yesterday we had everone over for a barbecue, and I took the following picture:

It was around 95 and a beautiful day. :)

No matter what time you get in Friday, there will be a bowl of mom's stew, garlic toast and Roger's salad waiting.

Have a good time in the Supe's......

Take care,

Joe
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Thanks - yah, I saw that photo you put on TNet too!!! Way to rub it in. By the way, it was raining this morning when I first posted but now it's been snowing fairly heavily for the last 3-4 hours. The truck is covered with snow outside and the pine trees are white. Good news is I heard it's supposed to get back up into the 50's and 60's next week!
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

See everyone tomorrow!!
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Just home from the 2009 Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous. It was a great event, with two days of really good attendance. I apologize for not having any decent pictures, and hope others will post some here. Sammy took a lot of pictures, and when he gets them to me I will post them.

My thanks to all my friends, and Cousin Sammy for helping me break camp. I fear I would still be there without their help.

It was a pleasure to meet Ellie (From T-Net), his son and his partner. They were a good addition to our conversations. Janiece came late Friday night and we did not get much chance to visit with her. Carolyn and I are hoping she will be able to spend more time with us next year.

There were many new people attending this year's event. Garry Cundiff (Novice) surprised me by showing up both days. It was Garry's first Rendezvous, and he came all the way from Missouri. On that count, he did not travel the farthest. Paul (Cubfan64) came, for the third time, all the way from New Hampshire. Roger attended his fifth Rendezvous, coming out from Texas. Tom Lamonica came, for the second time, from Alaska.

Bob Corbin made his second Rendezvous, and kept our attention with talk of politics and Dutch Hunting. There is never a dull moment when Bob has the floor.

I didn't count, but there were many women at the Rendezvous this year, including Carol Cundiff. Virginia Peralta, a direct descendant of the Peralta's we are interested in, was brought out by Bob Schoose, both first time attendees.

Phil Reinhardt and Rick Gwinn were there, second or third time for Phil and the first for Rick. I had met Rick a number of years ago in the Superstitions. It was good to see him again and I hope he keeps coming to the event in future years.

Ralph Johnson, who has never posted, but been a "lurker" for a number of years, drove out all the way from Oklahoma. I have no doubt he will become a good friend and will return to visit us again. Another first timer was Bill Fincham from Wichita, Kansas. Bill was a real gentleman and has been coming to the Superstitions for, I believe he said, twenty years. There were many other local first timers to the Rendezvous. Many are "old timers" in the Dutch Hunting Community.

I will post more about the Rendezvous as time permits, and I am sure others will do the same. We are looking forward to seeing more of our LDM Forum friends, who could not attend this year, make the trip in 2010.

Carolyn and I feel this was the best attended Rendezvous ever.

Take care,

Joe
von_kidd
Greenhorn

Post by von_kidd »

I really enjoyed the Dutch Hunter's Rendevous this past weekend. It was my first time to one, as I only found out about it earlier this month. I wish I had known about the rendevous five years ago!
I threw my mountain bike (my only transportation) on the bus and rode it out to the end of the line at Superstition Springs Mall, then rode the bike the rest of the way. I usually ride it to the First water Trailhead when I go in for two weeks every winter. This is the first time I've ridden my bike to the Don's Camp/Peralta Trailhead. I found a "jeep trail" running under the power lines paralelling highway 60 and followed it to Peralta Trail Rd. Otherwise I would have been taking the bike cross country over the desert! I took the same way heading back sunday morning.
This was one of the few times I could reply back to a total stranger when he said, "Glad to meet you", saying it back and really mean it. Usually I reserve that judgment until after I got to know the person a bit.
I got one invitation to go camping in the Superstitions sometime from one guy, but I'd be happy to do that with most of the folks who were there, especially the ones I went on the hike with!

In Freedom and Liberty,

Von Kidd
"The treasure is in the searching."
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

It was great having you there Von, as it was great having everyone else! Once again Joe provided a great camp site and food for hungry bellies, so a big thanks for that.

The conversations this year were not to be missed. The Virginia talk was incredible. I really got a feel for the old times (pre-1870) listening to her speak, and was very happy to hear about how their family in Sonora was so grateful for the 35 years of research she and Bob did on their family. I heard the talks by Jesse and Thomas on Fri night went very well, so a big thanks is in order to everyone who spoke at this years Rendezvous.

I will have mugs shortly for sale, 10 from last year and 10 from this year. When they arrive I will take pictures and orders.

Huge thanks to everyone who attended, to Greg Davis for speaking and the Don's club for providing such an amazing place for us to hold our event every year. I really look forward to next year, and sure have a lot of things to look for while hiking this year 8O 8O
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Von,

It was a pleasure meeting you, and impressive that you rode to the Rendezvous on a bike. Hope you will make all of our future events.

Randy,

I would like one of each years coffee cups. You guys did a great job.

Take care,

Joe
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Joe Ribaudo wrote: Randy,

I would like one of each years coffee cups. You guys did a great job.

Take care,

Joe
Joe,
We always have one on reserve for you anyway, as we do a few others like Greg and the speakers. The 10 mugs I was referring to are for sale to the public :)
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy,

I am honored to be included with the people you have mentioned. Not sure I deserve it, but will be happy to add the cups to my collection.

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

I would like to thank our friend, Tom Kollenborn, for sending a first edition copy of his book to be raffled off at the Rendezvous. It was won by Garry Cundiff, and I can't think of a more appropriate winner. Both Tom and Garry have given a great deal to the LDM Community. Kudos to both men.

The Sixth Annual Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous is just around the corner, so start making your plans.......now. :)

Take care,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I just want to say thank you to everyone who attended and made the rendezvous such a success. Including visitors that stopped in to say Hi, we had around 50 folks this year. Biggest thanks go out to Jesse, Thomas, Greg, Randy and Joe for everything they did to make it all go so smoothly. Not to forget Tom K. and Jim's raffle donations! I spoke with Clay Saturday evening and He was sorry he missed out this year. The fact that I can pack a camera and blanket and have no worries about other necessities, shows how much everyone comes through year after year.

Highlights for me?
Cappucino in the morning with Thomas Glover(Yeah, we really need to bring a rubber snake as a courtesy wake up for Randy next year!)
Bob Schoose's hilarious stories
Hanging with Randy
and Erik letting us know how he really felt about the forestry service!

I had a blast hiking with you guys and hanging out watching Howard throw a fit. As always it was all good from start to finish. Never a dull moment hanging with Randy and Jesse, Though I missed having Peter around.....

Sorry it took a few days to catch up, but a flat tire, 16 hours at work and 2 ballgames kept me pretty busy(We lost 18-1 and 15-1).

Von,

I am hoping Randy will agree to having an open invite on a few hikes this winter.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ellie Baba took this picture:

Joe
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Wayne,
Eric :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll never forget that. "You know I'm talking about a comic strip don't you?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe,
Do u have a full version of that picture you can e-mail me?
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy,

No problem. I just sent it in an email, and here's Ellie Gardner's full picture for the rest of the members:

Take care,

Joe
von_kidd
Greenhorn

Post by von_kidd »

Hi, Wayne.

If there are open invites to a few hikes, I'll make all of them I can ----even if I have to ride my mountain bike out to them!

Von
"The treasure is in the searching."