Just Curious

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
FUBAR

Just Curious

Post by FUBAR »

So I have read a few books about the Superstitions and the Lost Dutchman Mine and have hiked a bit in the area, but am under the assumption that the Peralta Mine and Walz mine were one in the same and were discovered and found. According to Allen's book Alfred Lewis and associates found what they believed to be the peralta mine and he believed that someone had tunneled in after the Spanish had buried it. It makes sense that that someone was Walz and according to the book Lewis and co mined it untill they couldn't fund any more mining because of expenses.

So I'm curious how people discount that theory? Is Allen's book not credible? I'm new around here and wanted to register and talk a bit.

Thanks
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I think the tale of Alfred Strong Lewis is in one of the journals. I would discount much of Allens book. It can cause nightmares when compared with much of the material that has been written. If I remember Lewis and partners got around $50,000 in gold near the Mammoth site across from old Goldfield. There were artifacts found as well.

My personal belief is the LDM may possibly a Peralta mine, but which one?
The Sombrera or Sombrero mine was the most prominent, but descriptions and accounts do not match the LDM very well. I also believe a number of these old mines have been rediscovered several times over. There is less to show each time, but it doesn't stop the initial excitement of the discoverers. Most of them are now cleaned out and erosion and time have swallowed them up.

How the Waltz mine fits in, if at all, with this is anyones guess. The placer theory would discount much of the relationship between the Peraltas and Waltz.

If you look at the various descriptions of Julia Thomas, Rhiney Petrasch and Dick Holmes they do not match that site at all. Herman had probably the most to say and again it does not fit with most of the previous discoveries.

You can't go wrong just using the search on this site for information. It may raise more questions than answers, but you won't be alone there.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
FUBAR

Post by FUBAR »

[quote="zentull"]I think the tale of Alfred Strong Lewis is in one of the journals. I would discount much of Allens book. It can cause nightmares when compared with much of the material that has been written. If I remember Lewis and partners got around $50,000 in gold near the Mammoth site across from old Goldfield. There were artifacts found as well.

Thanks Zentull for the response. I can see how that could occur. What really bothered me about Allen's book is that there wasn't a bibliography. I do like how it talked alot about Walker and Thorne and gave me alot of info on the Apaches and Pimas. I'll do some searches and absorb some the info. I saw the BIBLE of the LDM, is that a good read?

Ok so I'm planning an overnight trip into the area just to escape from the city and perhaps wander through a few canyons since the snakes have gone away. Any suggestions? I have always entered the area from the Peralta trail head because I could get in quicker on foot.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

The 2 books that will really set you on the right course are Helen Corbins Bible and Thomas Glovers"Golden Dream". The former can still be found in bookstores, the latter is very hard to find. Hopefully Thomas will get it into another printing.

If you have never camped in the mountains there, Pinon camp or Ed Pipers old camp have some nice areas and don't require a lot of effort. It all depends what you are looking for and how far you want to hoof it. Jack Carlsons hiking guide is a great read to help set an initnerary as well. Rogers canyon would be a nice trip as well.
FUBAR

thanks

Post by FUBAR »

Thanks Zentull,

I am reading a book by Corbin titled The Curse of the Dutchman's Gold. It is a really good read and I am amazed at Gassler's notes and his interactions with Tex. I wish I could of gotten up there right after this past weekends rain. I'll let you know where I end up going, thanks again for the advice.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

More rain this weekend, but to me it just enhances the experience. Nothing like the water running down the cliffs to add to the scenery.
buscar
Part Timer

Windy, snow and cold

Post by buscar »

zentull

It’s windy and cold in Up State New York. All I have done is shovel snow… the snow banks are three feet high and every time the plow comes down the road, it just adds to the pile. :roll:

Wish I were there.

buscar :)

There's gold in them thar stories and that's where most of it is.