LDM Documents on the Internet

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I can view the Peralta and Higham material but not the Rosecrans and Magill letters. It just doesn't load at all. Haven't had a problem with other documents before.

I got all pumped up and figured this would be my morning reading.
Only could happen to me.............
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
novice
Expert

Wayne

Post by novice »

Wayne,

Does your browser simply go into a funk or does it give you a message when you try to access a Rosecrans file?

Try pasting this address into your browser URL address and let me know what happens. Maybe your browser doesn't like the long File Name? I'm grasping at straws!

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... rans-McGee Correspondence (1965).pdf

I can't even get the above to show up as a URL address. You will have to paste. Make sure you get all of the link. :?

There is a space between McGee and Correspondence.

I'm stumped?

I want to get this to work for you but if all else fails, I can e-mail you the pdf files.

Garry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Problems......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry,

Wayne has been having these kinds of problems for years now. I believe he still has his original computer, which is the size of a Volkswagon bus. He powers it with his windmill, which doubles as his method of getting water into the big house.

Unfortunately, the windmill does not produce a steady flow of power, and when the wife turns on the cow milking machines the computer gets a headache. As you can see, it's all a vicious circle on the ranch. Methane gas from all of the critters on the place may be his only salvation. That would require re-tooling his power source, but Wayne is handy with tools.

Hope this explains the technical aspects of Wayne's continuing computer problems.

Take care,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Hey Joe my computer is gifted............

Actually it is saying it isn't a recognized pdf file or something on the Rosecrans and Magill stuff. I am running Adobe 7.0 which shouldn't have an issue I would think. It just freezes and won't load.

And I am one of the few guys that actually was able to run Daves DHR CD with no problems whatsoever.
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Wayne, it shouldn't really make a difference, but I have Adobe 9.0 reader loaded on my computer.

I doulble checked last night and I can view all the documents ok.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

i can open most of the links...
the ruth papers will not open for me..but the rest works fine.
novice
Expert

Re: LDM Documents on the Internet (D'Autremont)

Post by novice »

I was recently reading a post on TreasureNet that dealt with Hugh D’Autremont and Barry Storm. I have about 25 letters that were exchanged between Hugh D’Autremont and Bernice McGee (1966-1971) and I finally got enough momentum to add them to the Lost Dutchman Mine Document site.

There are several references dealing with Barry Storm and Peralta Mining in the Superstitions.

Many of the letters deal with Hugh becoming a writer which culminated when “West of Dawn” was published in 1971.

Others are simply newsy items among friends. (Hugh had a son who was a Green Beret in Viet Nam during this time and he had strong feelings on the war.)

On TreasureNet, during the discussion of Hugh D’Autremont, there was also a link posted to “The last Great Train Robbery in American” in which a Hugh D’Autremont appeared in the article as one of the robbers and murderers. Lest anyone misunderstand, that Hugh D’Autremont had nothing to do with our Hugh. The train robber, Hugh, was captured in 1927 and sentenced to life. He received a parole in 1959 and would die a couple of months later.

Follow the link to "The Bernice McGee Collection" and then down to D'Autremont.

Enjoy,

Garry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Re: LDM Documents on the Internet

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry,

Over the years, I have been associated with many "Dutch Hunters" who have generously shared there hard won research papers with me, and many others. You, my friend, are at the top of the sharing food chain. Your research is always accurate and, obviously, meticulously done.

I am in your debt, as is every Dutch Hunter who has an interest in the LDM and the history of the area.

These letters you have just posted won't get anyone closer to the LDM, but they are a fascinating glimpse into the past and, especially, Barry Storm.

Many, many thanks.

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Make that "their"...... :roll: :oops:

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

While it seems I barely have time to breathe in between running from here to there right now, let me echo Joes sentiments and say thanks for always taking the time to post stuff when the rest of us are idly sitting by or not having a moment to idle.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

zentull wrote:While it seems I barely have time to breathe in between running from here to there right now, let me echo Joes sentiments and say thanks for always taking the time to post stuff when the rest of us are idly sitting by or not having a moment to idle.
Agreed.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Three weeks until I get to idle!!!!!!!!

Now watch them send me to Yuma for 3 months for being happy!!!!!!
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

On the last train?

Regards:SH.

ps:that cross was still on the rocks two weeks ago....no hike??

Randy:
Saw this yesterday...made think of you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-yYT0hm-JQ
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

I love that video :lol: :lol:

Wait, what part made you think of me? :lol: :lol:
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
novice
Expert

LDM Documents (Clarence Mitchell and MOEL)

Post by novice »

I have reorganized the LDM Documents web site and posted quite a bit of background material regarding the Peralta Stone Maps. This posting is primarily what I will call the Clarence Mitchell Era to the present. The Travis Tumlinson Era will be added later.

Included is the MOEL litigation file, MOEL Articles of Incorporation, MOEL annual filings, the Clarence Mitchell-Bernice McGee correspondence, Mitchell’s book “Superstition Treasures”, the Bernice McGee articles relating to the Superstitions, miscellaneous newspaper and magazine articles, etc.

I hope all of the links are functioning and things are not too difficult to locate. In some cases the files are large but you should be able to start reading the beginning while the remainder of the file loads. If you spot some errors or encounter problems, please let me know.

Almost all of the information presented here is available in the Greg Davis Collection and there are also overviews and scattered references within the Feldman Forum. I have only recently passed on the Mitchell-McGee correspondence to Greg but the MOEL litigation information was shared some time ago along with other McGee letters from other individuals who made statements relating to the Peralta Stone Maps. While I believe there are instances where people have availed themselves of some of this information, it is not widespread. It is hoped that by making information available in a central location, everyone who has any interest in the stone maps will be able to improve their own understanding of the history based on documents as opposed to the specualtion of others. :)

Garry
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Garry - you continue to amaze :) Not only a great job in getting all that information, but a superb job of organizing and presenting it.

It looks like hours of thoughtprovoking reading!!
novice
Expert

Post by novice »

I have added a couple more packages of Bernice McGee correspondence to the “Lost Dutchman Mine” web site. I passed these on to Greg several months ago, so some of you may have already seen them.

They are both related to the Peralta Stone Maps and are located in the “The Bernice McGee Collection” link.

The first is a collection of letters from Pat and Ken Hainer. Bernice incorporated a lot of information from these letters in her 1973 article, “Are the Stone Maps a Hoax?” Pat and Ken were identified fictitiously as Don and Pam Hanson in the article. The Hainer’s knew the Tumlinsons in Hood River, Oregon.

The second collection of letters are those from Milton Rose to Bernice McGee. I don’t know what you will take from these letters but at least you should be entertained.

Again, I apologize for the speed at which many of these documents will load.

Garry
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Garry:
Sincere thanks for all you contributions to this and the other topics.
And to Greg as well.
I look forward to reading the newest additions.I still intend to make some observations.Just haven't had much time as yet.

Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Thanks again Garry.

Just further proof that Tumlinson both found the stones exactly where he said he did and that he truly believed they were authentic.

I especially like the part about what the Hainers thought Mitchell found, which turned out to be Bob Tumlinson. I guess that means that Bob Tumlinson and his landlord actually found some interesting items?

Best-Mike
novice
Expert

Post by novice »

Mike,

I would be very cautious about putting the artifacts found by Robert Tumlinson, in the “Fact” column.

The Hainer’s never saw these artifacts and they were never mentioned in the Peck letters by Robert. Also Robert apparently never mentioned anything like this to the Davis brothers.

It is clear that there was a serious falling out between Travis and Uncle Bob and perhaps Travis had to come up with a story on the fly, for the benefit of the Hainers, of why he and Uncle Bob were estranged?

We don’t know “when” this difficulty between Bob and Travis occurred, nor are we for sure about what caused the rift. I won’t speculate on either for the time being. :)

Who is the landlord of whom you are speaking?

Thanks for the kind word,

Garry
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

novice wrote:Mike,

I would be very cautious about putting the artifacts found by Robert Tumlinson, in the “Fact” column.

The Hainer’s never saw these artifacts and they were never mentioned in the Peck letters by Robert. Also Robert apparently never mentioned anything like this to the Davis brothers.

It is clear that there was a serious falling out between Travis and Uncle Bob and perhaps Travis had to come up with a story on the fly, for the benefit of the Hainers, of why he and Uncle Bob were estranged?

We don’t know “when” this difficulty between Bob and Travis occurred, nor are we for sure about what caused the rift. I won’t speculate on either for the time being. :)

Who is the landlord of whom you are speaking?

Thanks for the kind word,

Garry
Hey Garry,

Dr. Gene Davis of course. He was Robert Tumlinson's landlord. From what I have read, that is how they knew each other.

Best-Mike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry,

It seems the longer some people look at the Stone Map Story, the more question as to their authenticity come to the surface. That didn't really work out well for me, as I had no doubts for forty years or so. On the other hand, many of the details that have been revealed in the last few years, were not available to many of us back then.

I have always believed the Stone Maps were an accurate depiction of the terrain, as I have shown on my own topo maps. I have never trusted the Horse/Priest Map, as there were never any early pictures of it, like there was for the trail maps.

Over the weekend, a house guest informed me that the picture he had of the trail maps on the bumper of a car, were placed side by side and were on a different car altogether. I will ask him for a copy of that picture this week. That information came from someone who's memory and honesty I trust.

As is the case with all of us......old timers, it will be very interesting if he can find where he "filed" the picture. I have box's of notes, articles and pictures that haven't seen the light of day for years.

The more layers we peel off of the Stone Map onion, the more tears of frustration will be shed. Some will chose the defense of keeping their eyes tightly closed. At one time, that would have described me perfectly.

The only way I ever thought the Jesuits were involved, was because of the numerous cave of gold bars stories, and other yarns involving the Superstition Mountains. There are enough devotees of the legends to go around. What we need and have with you, are a few more sceptics who will take the time to peel back the layers of fiction/evidence and find the truth.

Many thanks!

Take care,

Joe
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

.......... and just because Robert didn't mention it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The only person alive in any position to deny or verify this would be Gene Davis.

Remember, the Hainers were good friends of the Tumlinson's. She said that Travis told her that his uncle had found those things in the Supers. The Hainers were the ones who made the mistake of thinking Travis was talking about Clarence Mitchell, as they knew neither Robert T nor Clarence M. We still have the admission of Mrs Hainer that Travis T told she and her husband that HIS UNCLE found those items.

Now, this is only a theory, but IF Robert made those finds with Gene Davis, and Travis wasn't told about it, that may have led to Travis taking back the stones and the rift between he and his uncle.

Best-Mike
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Caught this in a post which Joe had made in the "consider this" topic.
Where Robert Tumlinson is described as being Travis's brother,rather than uncle.

"I accept the possibility that what you have said about me is true, but in this case you are dead wrong. In that respect, it becomes obvious to me that you have confused Thomas' telling of what happened to Travis' brother, Robert, with Travis. From page 343 of the first & second edition of "The Lost Dutchman Mine Of Jacob Waltz: Part 1: The Golden Dream" by T. E. Glover, PhD, you will read this:

"Circa 1957 Gene started taking Robert Tumlinson on expeditions to Arizona and the Superstition Mountains. The difficulty was that in Oregon Tumlinson was excited about the next trip to Arizona and all they would do, but once on the road the closer he got to Arizona the less sure he got-to the point that by the time they arrived he would not search or go into the mountains."

Even so, Robert did make trips into the mountains with his brother Travis, as well as Gene Davis. The thing I am best at, is reading the written word and understanding what it means. It's a gift. I could go back to the bottom of page 342, where Thomas begins telling the story of the two brothers trips into the mountains, but believe you need to re-read it yourself."

Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Meant to add:

Was Gene Davis confused about the relationship ?
Or T. Glover .
Or did Travis actually have a brother named Robert as well as the uncle ?